Author Topic: Drag Wounded  (Read 9087 times)

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
Drag Wounded
« Topic Start: November 07, 2011, 08:06:51 PM »
I don't know if this has been suggested before, but nobles or perhaps just marshals should have some sort of ability to carry a wounded noble from the field of battle rather than just leaving them there to sleep it off until they wake up surrounded by an enemy army (And somehow not incarcerated). You can travel with your unit even if they're all wounded, why not bring along your fallen confederate? His unit may automatically disband once he's taken away, which would seem a decent trade-off. Without a cart, could make travel prolonged the same way it is when travelling with wounded soldiers.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Gustav Kuriga

Re: Drag Wounded
« Reply #1: November 07, 2011, 09:20:07 PM »
I wouldn't mind this. As long as their are drawbacks along with the benefits, it would be a good thing to add.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 07, 2011, 09:51:31 PM »
The drawback could be that the noble has a chance of dying along the way due to the rough treatment. Just like what happens when you drag wounded soldiers around.  Make sure you have some carts, to give that poor guy a better chance of surviving. :P
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 07, 2011, 10:26:29 PM »
Risky :)

Silverhawk

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 07, 2011, 10:31:31 PM »
The drawback could be that the noble has a chance of dying along the way due to the rough treatment. Just like what happens when you drag wounded soldiers around.  Make sure you have some carts, to give that poor guy a better chance of surviving. :P

I assume the person who is dragging desides, as the wounded noble will have little to say :P

Sounds like the perfect oppertunity to get ride of that pesky Duke, or the perfect way to silence that frustrating marshal once and for all.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 08, 2011, 09:02:17 AM »

A chance of the wound worsening would work. Of course, you wouldn't anyone's chances to die to increase because of an action taken by a fellow player.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 08, 2011, 11:00:03 AM »
A chance of the wound worsening would work. Of course, you wouldn't anyone's chances to die to increase because of an action taken by a fellow player.

Completely agree, with the exception of the experiment on BT, the chance character death has always been completely at the control of the characters player. While I like mortality I can't see how it would be good for anyone to add in a piecemeal fashion.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 09, 2011, 02:47:27 AM »
Completely agree, with the exception of the experiment on BT, the chance character death has always been completely at the control of the characters player. While I like mortality I can't see how it would be good for anyone to add in a piecemeal fashion.

Aye, I don't see Tom green-lighting a new way to randomly kill PCs as that's not really conducive to RP at all, but there are other drawbacks to explore, like extended travel times or a forced Abandon Unit or even loss of gold or paraphernalia. It just seems a bit strange to automatically abandon your good buddy the Viscount of Ruraltown after he gets trampled by cavalry or what have you. One would assume you'd even drag the corpse of another noble back to friendly territory for a proper funeral. Might even get some Honor for the rescue, or the potential for Prestige as with many other actions, as an incentive for the person doing the toting, to offset the time lost on travel.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 09, 2011, 03:03:07 AM »
Aye, I don't see Tom green-lighting a new way to randomly kill PCs as that's not really conducive to RP at all, but there are other drawbacks to explore, like extended travel times or a forced Abandon Unit or even loss of gold or paraphernalia. It just seems a bit strange to automatically abandon your good buddy the Viscount of Ruraltown after he gets trampled by cavalry or what have you. One would assume you'd even drag the corpse of another noble back to friendly territory for a proper funeral. Might even get some Honor for the rescue, or the potential for Prestige as with many other actions, as an incentive for the person doing the toting, to offset the time lost on travel.

No I would not assume this, in fact I would assume that in Melee combat at least it is unlikely you would even notice that your good friend was wounded unless he happened to be VERY close to you, and even then chances are you are too busy watching for dangers to yourself to be that worried. Not saying that it wouldn't happen, but it would be the exception rather then the rule.

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: November 09, 2011, 03:54:31 AM »
No I would not assume this, in fact I would assume that in Melee combat at least it is unlikely you would even notice that your good friend was wounded unless he happened to be VERY close to you, and even then chances are you are too busy watching for dangers to yourself to be that worried. Not saying that it wouldn't happen, but it would be the exception rather then the rule.

A nobleman biting it would be a major event on the battlefield as their unit scatters and the enemy overruns their position in the line. Unless they're a Hero, they typically don't lead from the front. And noblesse oblige requires that one treat a noble opponent's corpse with respect according their station, though depending on your realm, mileage there may vary. Either way, the conquering army rarely sets up camp right on the field they took since the ground has been churned up by thousands of boots and hooves, instead withdrawing back to their camps to allow both sides to collect their casualties. This is why you have wounded men after a battle, who may be healed and return to battle, instead of the losing army simply subtracting all casualties.

A knight wears distinctive armor, usually carries a personal standard of some sort and wields the finest combat gear available (Reflected in BM in that there is no equipment rating for nobility, and thus no cap to their Swordsmanship skill beyond the skill itself). Even in a heap of other bodies he would stand out.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: November 09, 2011, 04:11:48 AM »
A nobleman biting it would be a major event on the battlefield as their unit scatters and the enemy overruns their position in the line. Unless they're a Hero, they typically don't lead from the front. And noblesse oblige requires that one treat a noble opponent's corpse with respect according their station, though depending on your realm, mileage there may vary. Either way, the conquering army rarely sets up camp right on the field they took since the ground has been churned up by thousands of boots and hooves, instead withdrawing back to their camps to allow both sides to collect their casualties. This is why you have wounded men after a battle, who may be healed and return to battle, instead of the losing army simply subtracting all casualties.

A knight wears distinctive armor, usually carries a personal standard of some sort and wields the finest combat gear available (Reflected in BM in that there is no equipment rating for nobility, and thus no cap to their Swordsmanship skill beyond the skill itself). Even in a heap of other bodies he would stand out.

You completely underestimate the chaos of melee fights. After the focus of the battle has passed sure you could find a wounded noble, assuming that your side held the field and scored the victory. The wounded soldiers could just as easily be walking wounded as seriously wounded requiring aid to leave the field.

Think of it this way, you can scavenge the battlefield if you lose, why do you expect you could wonder around it looking for nobles whom mostly likely would be captured by the enemy that control the field anyway.

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: November 09, 2011, 04:26:27 AM »
You completely underestimate the chaos of melee fights. After the focus of the battle has passed sure you could find a wounded noble, assuming that your side held the field and scored the victory. The wounded soldiers could just as easily be walking wounded as seriously wounded requiring aid to leave the field.

Think of it this way, you can scavenge the battlefield if you lose, why do you expect you could wonder around it looking for nobles whom mostly likely would be captured by the enemy that control the field anyway.

I'm not underestimating it so much as disregarding it completely. A nobleman stands out, simply put, from the rank and file of his hirelings. It's like comparing the destruction of a main battle tank to the death of an infantryman. And as each knight or lord brings an entourage of scribes, lesser nobles, advisers and yes-men with them, there are plenty of eyes that are only watching what happens to their patron, and could easily report what happened to them to the army at large. You do get a message when someone is captured, or wounded, or killed in the battle; this request is more about doing something with that rather than introducing new ideas.

You don't get to pick through the gear of the fallen but you do get to collect your wounded. A wounded nobleman would be easy to spot, just look for the sun shining off his platemail. As for assuming that any missing noblemen were captured by the enemy, typically the enemy would send word of any captures, whether to illicit a ransom or simply to flaunt it. A nobleman is not just another soldier, they're an invaluable instrument of the realm. They are part of an intricate distribution of power that trickles down from on high and are not to be disregarded as the average footman may be.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 09, 2011, 04:38:16 AM »
I'm not underestimating it so much as disregarding it completely. A nobleman stands out, simply put, from the rank and file of his hirelings. It's like comparing the destruction of a main battle tank to the death of an infantryman. And as each knight or lord brings an entourage of scribes, lesser nobles, advisers and yes-men with them, there are plenty of eyes that are only watching what happens to their patron, and could easily report what happened to them to the army at large. You do get a message when someone is captured, or wounded, or killed in the battle; this request is more about doing something with that rather than introducing new ideas.

You don't get to pick through the gear of the fallen but you do get to collect your wounded. A wounded nobleman would be easy to spot, just look for the sun shining off his platemail. As for assuming that any missing noblemen were captured by the enemy, typically the enemy would send word of any captures, whether to illicit a ransom or simply to flaunt it. A nobleman is not just another soldier, they're an invaluable instrument of the realm. They are part of an intricate distribution of power that trickles down from on high and are not to be disregarded as the average footman may be.

If you think you can reliably keep track of a single melee combatant from a distance, no matter HOW different their armour or equipment may be, then yes you are disregarding the realities of melee combat. A standard falling is an event that has a reasonable chance of being spotted from a distance though.

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: April 23, 2012, 11:08:33 PM »
Bumping this one because the King of Thalmarkin has been laying around Winfael for almost a week after a major battle there. I hardly think it's possible to lose track of the king for a week, and I hardly think it's proper that they leave him in some dingy village to recover.

Zakilevo

« Reply #14: April 23, 2012, 11:32:10 PM »
Bumping this one because the King of Thalmarkin has been laying around Winfael for almost a week after a major battle there. I hardly think it's possible to lose track of the king for a week, and I hardly think it's proper that they leave him in some dingy village to recover.

I agree with this. Who ditches their king! Drag the man back to the palace!