Author Topic: Cathing your realm's scouts?  (Read 20662 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Cathing your realm's scouts?
« Reply #60: December 01, 2011, 08:27:31 AM »
Did you ever think the reason so few people WANT to be marshal is that the expectations of masses of scout analysis, on line times and other factors are simply more then people want to commit to for a recreational game? I've known so many marshal that felt amazing pressure to be online just before and after every turn change, to have scout reports in analysed and plans made within the hour of turn change so that nobody would log in and out before orders were given etc.

Attitudes like, "I can't afford to wait for my peers to tell me their status" etc only go to increase this hectic need, for a game that only has turns every 12 hours this is bordering on insane. They are your PEERS treat them with the respect a medieval noble would demand and forget the 21st century need to plan out meticulous strategies and tactics. Great medieval generals anticipated their enemies moves on info that was days if not weeks old, not on a scout report telling them what was happening 5 minutes ago.

Gee, you've never played a general, go figure.

Great medieval generals also didn't face enemies that could, over a few days of walking only, reach neighboring capitals from their own. Or armies that could triple their size in a day. This is a game, you've said it yourself. The pace is therefore significantly faster. Because really, nobody wants to spend a month to travel from a realm to the next, else there'd be more people on the colonies.

Great generals could also go and contact the ones under their command directly to make sure everyone got the instructions right.

In BM, we don't. We have 12 hour rounds, and we have to send the orders before the players' last logins of the turn, or else no amount of harassing them will make them move. Also, the battlefield can drastically change within the few minutes that TC takes. Breaking into a city often tooks months IRL, it takes 5 minutes in BM.

Why don't people want to be marshals? You have your theory, but I think that's putting too much emphasis on the marshal out of his context. I would rather ask: why don't people want any promotions at all? This last 6 months, in about almost all elections I've seen, there was no competition whatsoever, or very, very little. People of no history get elected because they were the only ones who, on the last day, bothered to put their names in the list. Same for dukes, and other lords, and other government positions. It's not just marshals, it's every single title in the game. Doesn't seem like anyone is seriously running for them anymore. Hell, on AT, when the judge left, I put my name in the ballot, never sent a single word to campaign. That character is a total nobody, a lord of a rural, and he won. I can't even tell you who the realm's enemies are, and I'm the judge.

There was a time where I was marshal of an elite army and I never logged in 'till like 8 hours after TC during a good period. You can't do that with every army, but with some it's easy to pull off "IF X, then Y" set of orders. Late enough scouts to have an idea of what things will look like are a boon in this case, though. The problem I've seen with the few new marshals, though, is not that they aren't timely enough: it's that they rarely even give orders.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: December 01, 2011, 10:19:11 PM »
Great medieval generals also didn't face enemies that could, over a few days of walking only, reach neighboring capitals from their own.

Yep they could, in small realms.

Great generals could also go and contact the ones under their command directly to make sure everyone got the instructions right.

Nope they could not, in large realms.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: December 01, 2011, 10:32:06 PM »
Yep they could, in small realms.

Nope they could not, in large realms.

The vast majority of european kingdoms were more than a day's marsh in radius. The handful of exceptions doesn't make the rule.

As for the "not in large realms", which I suppose you mean kingdoms, I don't see why not. Regardless of how large their lands were, allies would, when marching, not be that far apart. The distance between their homes has no relation with the distance between their tents.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: December 01, 2011, 10:42:49 PM »
The vast majority of european kingdoms were more than a day's marsh in radius. The handful of exceptions doesn't make the rule.

As for the "not in large realms", which I suppose you mean kingdoms, I don't see why not. Regardless of how large their lands were, allies would, when marching, not be that far apart. The distance between their homes has no relation with the distance between their tents.

Not until the later periods did they march together, and even then not as a massive block. Logistics require that large armies move separated in most cases, and before that parts of the army would basically take whatever path they wished to reach the designated marshalling point, often taking detours in order to secure a food supply for themselves or loot some tasty target. This was long one of the biggest hurdles for armies, first you had to know which of your nobles was actually going to honour their commitments and march, then you had to hope everyone that intended to fight actually got to the location in time.

Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: December 02, 2011, 03:41:59 AM »

Check the Holy Roman Empire and northern Italy, they are not a handful of exceptions. I'd say that most realms in BM are more than a day's march in radius too, though that depends on the continent, of course.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: December 02, 2011, 04:11:56 AM »
Most armies in real life aren't trapped in movement limbo for 12 hours either, making real time scout report even more powerful in game. Real Life armies can't "store" hours set marching order for a distance of x hours and move their within the hour if they time it right either.

I'm not saying my way of playing would actually be that successful, it will lose to those that even slightly competent and play the "standard" way. I am saying I think the standard way of playing is neither truly in the spirit of the game and I think it is one reason why so many realms avoid war since they know they lack military leader with the "time" to ensure a good chance of success playing the standard way.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.