Author Topic: Meta-gaming  (Read 5764 times)

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Meta-gaming
« Topic Start: December 11, 2011, 07:15:50 PM »
In my opinion, if any action is taken against the player of Zuma, we should also heavily penalise all marshals who order late turn moves.

::)
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
Re: Meta-gaming
« Reply #1: December 11, 2011, 07:20:27 PM »
In my opinion, if any action is taken against the player of Zuma, we should also heavily penalise all marshals who order late turn moves.

How are those two things in any way alike? Ordering late turn moves has been punishable for years as an IR violation. The Zuma GM stands here accused of exploiting a bug.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 11, 2011, 07:25:54 PM »
Ordering late turn moves has been punishable for years as an IR violation.

What? I would have thought it was only an IR violation if a late turn move was ordered and threats were made to punish those who failed to do so.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 11, 2011, 07:31:30 PM »
How are those two things in any way alike? Ordering late turn moves has been punishable for years as an IR violation. The Zuma GM stands here accused of exploiting a bug.

How many times have you seen a message saying "move out as late as possible!". You can call that Meta-gaming.

Or how many times have you ever set movement late yourself, so that the enemy would never know? Isn't it meta gaming too, playing around the time you know as turn? I know I've made late turn moves, does it mean I and everyone else who ever did it ought to be punished?
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

egamma

« Reply #4: December 11, 2011, 07:57:25 PM »
How many times have you seen a message saying "move out as late as possible!". You can call that Meta-gaming.

Or how many times have you ever set movement late yourself, so that the enemy would never know? Isn't it meta gaming too, playing around the time you know as turn? I know I've made late turn moves, does it mean I and everyone else who ever did it ought to be punished?

No, that's a realistic strategy, one that real armies use.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 11, 2011, 08:03:51 PM »

No it isn't.

If it takes you 8 hours to move somewhere it is going to take you 8 hours to move there no matter "when" you decide to set out. The enemy would have eight hours to react before your arrival no matter what. Late turn moves negate that fact because it may, in actually, only take 30 minutes for you to get from A to B if you "move" 30 minutes before the turn change.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 11, 2011, 08:31:17 PM »

What sort of world do you live in that has turns?

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 11, 2011, 08:32:56 PM »

I've not personally seen such a message in over four years and the person who issued that received a public warning from the Titans. The problem with that order is not meta-gaming: The problem is that it violates the Inalienable Rights.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 12, 2011, 02:56:21 AM »
It still happens regularly.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: December 12, 2011, 03:04:13 AM »
I've never heard of it as an IR violation so long as it was phrased as "move out as late as you can" rather than "move out one hour before turn or else".
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: December 12, 2011, 03:07:12 AM »
Not only that, but realms actively try to form elite armies that they know will consist of players able to make such late turn moves. Often when we talk about military powerhouses with great strategy what we mean is a realm that has activity levels around TC that enable them to make last minute decisions and still expect good movement rates.

I've never heard of it as an IR violation so long as it was phrased as "move out as late as you can" rather than "move out one hour before turn or else".

I agree with this, I've never seen anyone punished for a IR violation for this, unless they took efforts to enforce the play style by punishing those they felt moved too early.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #11: December 12, 2011, 10:59:28 AM »
It is not only acceptable to form armies specifically around activity, it is even the suggested approach on the Wiki. The guideline is to not force players to comply to your strategy, but form your strategy around what your players do.

Players - not just the generals, also those involved in lower ranks - want the success of moving rapidly, surprising the enemy and winning not by numbers but by determination. It's totally fine with me, as long as nobody is forced to adapt his real life to a game. If people willingly do it, that's theirs to decide.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: December 12, 2011, 08:58:33 PM »
What sort of world do you live in that has turns?

The effect is amplified considerably by turns, but it's still a strategy that would make sense irl.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: December 13, 2011, 01:51:21 AM »
It is not only acceptable to form armies specifically around activity, it is even the suggested approach on the Wiki. The guideline is to not force players to comply to your strategy, but form your strategy around what your players do.

Players - not just the generals, also those involved in lower ranks - want the success of moving rapidly, surprising the enemy and winning not by numbers but by determination. It's totally fine with me, as long as nobody is forced to adapt his real life to a game. If people willingly do it, that's theirs to decide.

Thought I remembered reading that somewhere.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Fury

« Reply #14: December 13, 2011, 04:10:34 PM »
Metagaming - the use of out-of-game information or resources to affect one's in-game decisions.

Here's an example:
http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,1343.msg32833.html#msg32833