Author Topic: IR - Choosing one's own class/Realm themes  (Read 23109 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Re: IR - Choosing one's own class/Realm themes
« Reply #30: February 16, 2012, 04:20:02 AM »
Because there should be a massive amount of diplo worked need to smooth relations. A super active ruler, like Jenred in his prime might be able to handle the volume of messages and responses needed, otherwise trusted ambassadors will be needed to settle things when people object to certain contracts being fulfilled.

Fair enough. Let's just say that if "I" happened to be the ruler, it should be enough. Otherwise, you need someone just as active. Plus all of that diplo is what I have the most fun with.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: February 16, 2012, 05:19:13 AM »
If ambassadors could be given gold by being in another realm then yes. Otherwise, I don't see how an ambassador is necessary when the Ruler can simply take all offers.

You can also think of them as 'traveling salesmen'. Why, the Duke of Keplerville might not even know he wants someone assassinated until the Ambassador of our new realm shows up to drop a few innuendos. Then there's the traditional role of diplomats of gathering information and politicking. Stirring up intrigue wherever possible is just good business for a realm full of infiltrators, and you'd damn well better be one of the most well-informed realms on the island. You'd need to be able to see conflicts and alliances coming. Hell if I had the people to do it, I'd stick an Ambassador on station in every realm on the island with orders to hobnob and build local contact networks. Ambassadors are also an excellent vehicle through which to dispense bribes for all sorts of purposes.

egamma

« Reply #32: February 16, 2012, 05:22:49 AM »
Hell if I had the people to do it, I'd stick an Ambassador on station in every realm on the island with orders to hobnob and build local contact networks.

I think we'd all like to have enough characters in our realms that we could send a dozen people out of the realm...

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: February 16, 2012, 05:28:50 AM »
I think we'd all like to have enough characters in our realms that we could send a dozen people out of the realm...

Well technically, the realm would literally have next to no one inside the realm if done right. I mean the council members (which are barred from being assassins) and perhaps a Duke seeking to protect the city in case surprise attacked, would probably be all that stay in the realm for long durations.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: February 16, 2012, 05:36:44 AM »
Well technically, the realm would literally have next to no one inside the realm if done right. I mean the council members (which are barred from being assassins) and perhaps a Duke seeking to protect the city in case surprise attacked, would probably be all that stay in the realm for long durations.

A good place for this realm would be Obsidian Islands, EC:

1) No one else wants those crappy regions anyway.

2) There's only two ways on or off them. Make a couple of friends and you're practically invasion-proof.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: February 16, 2012, 05:40:10 AM »
A good place for this realm would be Obsidian Islands, EC:

1) No one else wants those crappy regions anyway.

2) There's only two ways on or off them. Make a couple of friends and you're practically invasion-proof.

I don't understand why everyone would want to invade a nice, peaceful, heavily infiltration lad realm? Its not like we are committing any offenses worthy of war ever. I mean, who doesn't need a nice little knife in the back of your rulers/dukes every once in a while?

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: February 16, 2012, 05:44:01 AM »
I don't understand why everyone would want to invade a nice, peaceful, heavily infiltration lad realm? Its not like we are committing any offenses worthy of war ever. I mean, who doesn't need a nice little knife in the back of your rulers/dukes every once in a while?

Anyone who fancies a new duchy, for starters. And if you really go that heavily in favor of non-warrior classes to the point that your army is practically non-existent, you're going to be a tempting target. Diplomacy can work wonders, but there's always the chance that you'll fail, in which case having geographical isolation and/or choke points is a huge plus.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: February 16, 2012, 05:44:52 AM »
Anyone who fancies a new duchy, for starters. And if you really go that heavily in favor of non-warrior classes to the point that your army is practically non-existent, you're going to be a tempting target. Diplomacy can work wonders, but there's always the chance that you'll fail, in which case having geographical isolation and/or choke points is a huge plus.

I know, I agree. But I also think there is some fun in the risk.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: February 16, 2012, 06:20:00 AM »
Why, the Duke of Keplerville might not even know he wants someone assassinated until the Ambassador of our new realm shows up to drop a few innuendos.

I just hurt myself rolling off my couch from laughter at this.

Yeah; maybe have tag-team duos: assign an ambassador and an infil to each "client." Task them with finding contracts, collecting bounties, etc. And, honestly, I don't think it would become a huge target. It wouldn't need to be a geographically large, or even a particularly rich realm. Provided its lands are not that good, larger realms might reasonably find it less trouble to hire out/buy off a swarm of infils than provoke them by sieging their castle.

I would TOTALLY join this realm. I have the characters available to do it too.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: February 16, 2012, 07:10:41 AM »
The only issue, is that the place where I wanted originally to found it, I'm gonna find it hard to create an IC reason enough to convince those that need to be convinced to let it happen. I know for sure that just by making the realm I"ll piss off some very powerful people.

My other idea was to create it in BR on Dwilight. That also has its issues. Might just need to create a new character to pull that one off though, since my other one has some "likability" issues. Only problem is, do you need a certain prestige/honor to be made ruler? What about Duke? (Could a Duke then secede to become a ruler even if he doesn't have the requisite prestige).

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: February 16, 2012, 02:17:21 PM »
My other idea was to create it in BR on Dwilight. That also has its issues.
Dwilight is the wrong place for this, I would think. (At least so long as it isn't "full", and has lots of open conflicts.) Atamara might be the best place, actually. Lots of room, lots of realms. Geography isn't all that good, though.

Only problem is, do you need a certain prestige/honor to be made ruler? What about Duke? (Could a Duke then secede to become a ruler even if he doesn't have the requisite prestige).
5 prestige for duke, I think. Secession bypasses some of the checks/interlocks for council-level positions. Secession should be possible, so long as you're duke.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #41: February 16, 2012, 04:11:43 PM »

Actually, you can still recruit enough men as an infiltrator to be useful in an army. I've had over 40 men several times as an infiltrator.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: February 16, 2012, 04:51:10 PM »
Actually, you can still recruit enough men as an infiltrator to be useful in an army. I've had over 40 men several times as an infiltrator.

Yes, but any infiltrator doing the warrior thing is not going to be out fulfilling contracts. Sure, you can undertake missions with a unit, but getting in and out of a realm ("infiltrating" it) is quite a bit more difficult with a unit in tow; for one thing you can be attacked even by realms not at war with yours (murderous settings, and I would definitely consider it if a random unit from that infiltrator realm was wandering around in my country), plus you'll also be waylaid by monsters and undead on the way. And you have to pay them and keep them happy and their equipment repaired, which greatly reduces your time in the field. And finally it slows you down.

In an emergency you can call them home and they can recruit units, but you're unlikely to have much of a standing army if your infiltrators are actually out infiltrating.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #43: February 16, 2012, 05:06:18 PM »
I didn't say it was practical, merely possible.

Sonya

• Mighty Duke
  • Traveling to a new world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: February 16, 2012, 06:30:38 PM »
It would be interesting to see a group of 10-15 infils assaulting an army of 20 nobles (10K CS +/-).

What would be the outcome? Can some one calculate the possibilities of success of those Infils?

But too bad that there is a disadvantage for the stealth class, it would be more interesting if the Infiltrators couldn't be executed but just thrown in jail, otherwise it wouldn't be fun.

That and other details.