Author Topic: Ducal Looting  (Read 4868 times)

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Ducal Looting
« Topic Start: February 20, 2012, 04:46:02 AM »
I know that Ducal war is one of those things that has been frequently requested, frequently rejected. While I am personally in favour of it I can certainly understand though why it has been rejected. It could very easily become a mess and very confusing.

I was thinking however, looting is one of those things that you can do even in an allied realm. That has not caused any chaos or confusion so far, and if something out of the ordinary happens, it doesn't lead to greater conflicts most of the time. But I believe it would be a good compromise between the possibilities for internal strife - actually being able to physically harm your fellow duke and gain from it yourself - to introduce the option for troopleaders to loot in another duchy.
I can imagine it become one of those things that happens every once in a while by perhaps a confused or angry noble that wouldn't cause too much of a fuss. I think it would be very scarce that a duke actually orders to loot his own realm (en masse) but I would /love/ to have that be a possibility. Only the threat of actual destruction to your regions would make inter-ducal strife much more real and on edge.
It would also make people more careful in inter-duchal relations. You can't just piss off other dukes constantly and not expect real retaliation so in a way I think it might even benefit team play on a realmwide level. As well as on a duchy-level where a Duke will have to ensure himself of the loyalty of his nobles to be able to hold them over the heads of other dukes as a threat. All in all, the hierarchy would work like it is designed to. King>Dukes>rest.

I know there's probably not a lot of chance that this will happen, but I felt like I had to try anyway... :P

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Re: Ducal Looting
« Reply #1: February 20, 2012, 05:31:48 AM »
But there would be no way to stop the other duchy from doing this to your duchy... other than going and looting them. You can't fight them off so it would just be this awkward thing where you and your knights are just standing around while your realm mates loot your regions.

Just wouldn't work without intra-realm warfare.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 20, 2012, 05:46:15 AM »
But there would be no way to stop the other duchy from doing this to your duchy... other than going and looting them. You can't fight them off so it would just be this awkward thing where you and your knights are just standing around while your realm mates loot your regions.

Just wouldn't work without intra-realm warfare.

Maybe no DIRECT way for the Duke to respond. However he could petition the Judge for fines/Bans, petition the ruler etc. Personally though without some sort of Duchy war system, I'm not a fan.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:03:25 AM by De-Legro »
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 20, 2012, 05:53:30 AM »
I personally don't see this as adding anything positive to the game.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 20, 2012, 06:37:24 AM »
Yes, I don't see this being helpful to the game, without actual Ducal warfare, which is not going to happen. Thus, it shouldn't be done. If you can't fight the looters, they shouldn't be able to loot.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: February 20, 2012, 09:56:25 AM »
The 1st comment is right on the money. Without a way of retribution, no good can come of this.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 20, 2012, 11:13:56 AM »
Maybe no DIRECT way for the Duke to respond. However he could petition the Judge for fines/Bans, petition the ruler etc.

He could also orders his own knight to loot the culprit's lands. Civil war are supposed to lay waste to the land, aren't they?

But then again, I have always been a fan of intra-realm warfare too.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #7: February 20, 2012, 06:06:50 PM »
I would support this if Intra-realm warfare were allowed. But it isn't, for an arbitrary reason (it won't promote teamwork or some such nonsense), so I can't support it.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #8: February 20, 2012, 10:48:19 PM »
I would support this if Intra-realm warfare were allowed. But it isn't, for an arbitrary reason (it won't promote teamwork or some such nonsense), so I can't support it.

It's not an arbitrary reason. The reason is that the combat code simply doesn't handle various factions within the same realm well. Civil war during rebellions is already horror code-wise, ducal wars would most likely break the whole combat code.

Zakilevo

« Reply #9: February 21, 2012, 01:38:28 AM »
Maybe the whole combat code should be updated too? :)

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #10: February 21, 2012, 01:40:36 AM »
It's not an arbitrary reason. The reason is that the combat code simply doesn't handle various factions within the same realm well. Civil war during rebellions is already horror code-wise, ducal wars would most likely break the whole combat code.

Ah, I did not know that, I apologize then.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #11: February 21, 2012, 09:34:22 AM »
Maybe the whole combat code should be updated too? :)

Sure, but definitely not during an invasion and only with a warning long in advance, because it very likely will mean fighting is broken for days. Something complex like that just doesn't get reworked without bugs on the first try.

egamma

« Reply #12: February 21, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
Sure, but definitely not during an invasion and only with a warning long in advance, because it very likely will mean fighting is broken for days. Something complex like that just doesn't get reworked without bugs on the first try.

Where is it on the Doctrine conversion priority list? After Colony takeovers, getting rid of automatic duchy creation and automatic appointing of duke to city lords, what else?

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: February 21, 2012, 08:41:28 PM »

Would a small island with mortality (you can be truly assassinated by infils, and wounds and battles might kill you as well, age perhaps too, add it random disease if you may) to be the first testing ground help? The positive point would be that the high rotation of characters would prevent from people to getting to attached to them. In Dwilight and BT people always get bitchy when bugs hinder their plans. It would also be nice to play in a true fear atmosphere: you cannot insult people so easily, and a stab won't only mean you'll get inactive for a little while. Of course you'd have to block deporting to such island. Perhaps if BT is sunk, replaced by a small colonies-like island?
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).