Author Topic: [Forum Game] World in Revolution 1861, Sign-up Thread  (Read 123288 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
If you're expecting a historically accurate reenactment, I'm afraid you're not going to get one. I, for one, have clue how an 1861-era Brazil would act. I'm just going to do whatever looks like it would be fun for the game, and prosperous for my country.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
We have two different situations:

1) China acting the way it is, well, it's hardly orthodox, but not impossible. History would have likely seen the Empress as a very eccentric character who faced innumerable obstacles for trying "radical" reforms in a very conservative-minded scenario. Basically a woman way ahead of her time, with all the problems that carries. Perth was very nice in his first post to err on the side of caution, but he'll certainly get the grip of things and start portraying how it would have not been so easy, though still not impossible, to successfully pass those kinds of reforms and survive the consequences.

In any case China is betting very high, and its success will be largely dependent in if the other nations try to call her bluff or not. So let's keep this IC, now shall we?

2) It would be nice if the GM made some mini-updates commenting on some situations going on (I can help with that). If the Emperor called one third of all the samurais in the country to send them far abroad to the "west", right after having coup'd the Shogun, well, he'd have a large rebellion in his hands.
Part of the problem is that Japan started with 600.000 soldiers, which makes one think of a professional standing army, instead of a potential force of feudal warriors that would only be completely mobilized in cases of invasion. The Shogun did not have such large force immediately under his command, and could certainly not do whatever he pleased with it, for it was largely autonomous.
The mini-updates would hint the player about this kind of thing, about worried advisers and unrest based on rumors of such kinds of plans. Then the player can decide if he really wants to go through with it and face the consequences, or not. And even then, he might roll several 6 and get the political ability to send such large force, giving the GM the task of determining the problems of logistics and unrest in California and the USA because of the "invasion".
The point is that the dices should be cast, and say if it goes or not. It is /very/ unlikely to succeed, but it is also very unlikely for him to get all 6s. Simply shutting down crazy ideas makes the game quite boring. Lets let strange things happen, even if they turn into major disasters.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile

1) China acting the way it is, well, it's hardly orthodox, but not impossible. History would have likely seen the Empress as a very eccentric character who faced innumerable obstacles for trying "radical" reforms in a very conservative-minded scenario. Basically a woman way ahead of her time, with all the problems that carries. Perth was very nice in his first post to err on the side of caution, but he'll certainly get the grip of things and start portraying how it would have not been so easy, though still not impossible, to successfully pass those kinds of reforms and survive the consequences.

In any case China is betting very high, and its success will be largely dependent in if the other nations try to call her bluff or not. So let's keep this IC, now shall we?

2) It would be nice if the GM made some mini-updates commenting on some situations going on (I can help with that). If the Emperor called one third of all the samurais in the country to send them far abroad to the "west", right after having coup'd the Shogun, well, he'd have a large rebellion in his hands.
Part of the problem is that Japan started with 600.000 soldiers, which makes one think of a professional standing army, instead of a potential force of feudal warriors that would only be completely mobilized in cases of invasion. The Shogun did not have such large force immediately under his command, and could certainly not do whatever he pleased with it, for it was largely autonomous.
The mini-updates would hint the player about this kind of thing, about worried advisers and unrest based on rumors of such kinds of plans. Then the player can decide if he really wants to go through with it and face the consequences, or not. And even then, he might roll several 6 and get the political ability to send such large force, giving the GM the task of determining the problems of logistics and unrest in California and the USA because of the "invasion".
The point is that the dices should be cast, and say if it goes or not. It is /very/ unlikely to succeed, but it is also very unlikely for him to get all 6s. Simply shutting down crazy ideas makes the game quite boring. Lets let strange things happen, even if they turn into major disasters.

+1
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Spectre17

• Freeman
    • View Profile

agree

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Also, I should note: my reforms were actually not as successful as they may look on the outside. Compared to how much I tried to do, I didn't accomplish that much. After all, I did wipe out half of my treasury just launching land and trade reforms. That's without even addressing tech, industry, and infrastructure.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Also, I should note: my reforms were actually not as successful as they may look on the outside. Compared to how much I tried to do, I didn't accomplish that much. After all, I did wipe out half of my treasury just launching land and trade reforms. That's without even addressing tech, industry, and infrastructure.

Step-by-Step young padawan.

That's why you take just the first turn securing your position, before trying to implement public reforms beyond government takeover.

haha jk. Reforming China and Japan is gonna be hard...
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Spectre17

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Step-by-Step young padawan.

That's why you take just the first turn securing your position, before trying to implement public reforms beyond government takeover.

haha jk. Reforming China and Japan is gonna be hard...

And that's without possible European intervention.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile

Heh, no kidding.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile

Exactly, European intevention can also make it easier.

"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Spectre17

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Exactly, European intevention can also make it easier.

What??????? European's shooting you I mean.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:55:56 AM by Spectre17 »

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
What????????????? European's shooting you I mean.

As long as you only shoot the rebels.

But Japan already has at least one European nation helping it.

Why not more?

Spectre17

• Freeman
    • View Profile
As long as you only shoot the rebels.

But Japan already has at least one European nation helping it.

Why not more?

I meant shooting your men.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Perhaps I misunderstand the way this game is supposed to work. I thought the point was that, while we should take actions that are realistic for our nations, we can also attempt to change the way history went. This would involve changing directly the personalities of the leaders of our nations. That should be allowable.

+1

Hell, Aleksandr is already acting like a weird cross between Peter the Great and Peter Kropotkin... The point is alternate history, Lenin might end up smothered in his bed, and Bakunin may become the Internal affairs minister   8)
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Actually, China was the only nation this turn who did not try to increase their Industry and/or Infrastructure stats. I think that says something.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Keldonia

• Freeman
  • KeldoniaSkylar
    • View Profile
They are good? Also no one is truely at war, nor has anyone really embarked upon other uses of their orders yet.  My bets are that stability will soon be among people's priorities, I suspect.  That and when they realize they can do other things ;)