Author Topic: New Religion Advice  (Read 6627 times)

Igelfeld

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
New Religion Advice
« Topic Start: March 18, 2011, 03:40:01 AM »
Asylon will shortly be rolling out a new religion, and given all we have been discussing about religions of late, I would be interested in what you have to say.

I want it to be unique and different from other religions within dwilight, and I want to make it so that followers have actual in game actions they can do to progress further in the religion.  Along these lines it is going to have a strong focus on the Zuma, and specifically the Zuma mark that two Asylonians already possess. The Zuma will be seen as somewhat otherworldly, partially outside of this physical world and possessing a greater understanding of both the physical and spiritual world. When they grant the Zuma mark to a human, it endows them with greater spiritual vision. Therefore, those who possess the mark are considered prophets and have greater influence in theological debate.

Along with the Zuma mark, pilgrimages will play an important part in this religion as to progress from a simple layman to higher levels a nobleman must complete a pilgrimage to the holy city of Nightmarch and do ... while there.

Most all the doctrine will be built from whatever the Zuma happen to say, or have said in the past. So information brought back from these pilgrimages will be of great importance.

What are your thoughts?
Moritz Von Igelfeld - King of Asylon
Moria Von Igelfeld - Viscountess of Lanston
Ulrich Von Igelfeld - Knight of Remton, Dark Isle Colonist

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: New Religion Advice
« Reply #1: March 18, 2011, 03:49:23 AM »
Stir not the hornets' nest and you will not be stung. Mortals should not desire the forbidden from which the angels tasted.

In any case, it's really up to you what your religion does.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 03:50:58 AM by Artemesia »

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 18, 2011, 04:04:43 AM »
I like the idea of having a noble take part in a pilgrimage in order to allow them advancement. It presents a unique roleplay chance for interested players and actually forces them to take in-game action to carry it out.

Good luck!

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 18, 2011, 07:31:39 AM »
Pilgrimage to Nightmarch could be interesting/extraordinarily controversial.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 18, 2011, 01:44:12 PM »
Though rather destructive if the Zuma do not approve. Still, if you can pull that off, that would be great.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 18, 2011, 05:26:51 PM »
Though rather destructive if the Zuma do not approve. Still, if you can pull that off, that would be great.

My thoughts exactly.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Igelfeld

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 18, 2011, 06:16:34 PM »
Asylon already has reasons to go to Zuma regularly, trade agreements and such. The pilgrimages will just change how Asylonians will act while there, and given that the religion is designed to evolve according to the way the Zuma respond, it will be able to adapt to the Zuma.

Given that the Zuma have marked at least three nobles with the sign of their priests, I think they may be expecting something like this. I think if you go around placing magical signs on peoples foreheads they will sooner or later begin to seek answers about them.

Hossenfeffer

• Knight
    • View Profile
    • Sanguis Astroism - The Bloodstar Phases
« Reply #7: March 18, 2011, 07:00:46 PM »
Pilgrimages are questionable.  While the idea is interesting, in practise there seems to be little enthusiasm for it.   A couple of people tried to promote the idea of a pilgrimage to Corsanctum for SA worshippers.  In a religion of 100+ members, I think exactly none made the pilgrimage.  That's probably because, in Dwilight at least, the day to day business of keeping the realm alive in the face of roaming monsters and such is a major undertaking.  Most characters don't want to spend a couple of RL weeks trotting off to somewhere for the possibility of an RP interaction.  Which is a shame, but is understandable.

Otherwise, I have just a few suggestions: 

• Go with your instincts and make it 'unique and different from other religions within dwilight', but also unique and different from other RL religions. 
  • Don't define everything too proscriptively.  Leave space for people to add their own colour.  It won't be quick in coming, but if/when it does it will be worth it.
  • 'Actual in game actions they can do to progress further' is a good idea.  In SA we have an oath people can take to become (I've lost track of what they're called now, but they used to be:) guardians of the temple.  Players seem to take that personal oath seriously to the point that for some it's a major character point.

That's it for now.  I may think of some more. 

Should I be helping another Dwilight religion form?  No, of course not  :D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 07:02:22 PM by Hossenfeffer »

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 18, 2011, 07:57:07 PM »
  In SA we have an oath people can take to become (I've lost track of what they're called now, but they used to be:) guardians of the temple.  Players seem to take that personal oath seriously to the point that for some it's a major character point.

Qyrvaggism has creeds/oaths too, and it is a very cool idea. I think most players actually like that kind of ritual. It adds flavor without being a huge commitment.

Regarding pilgrimages, I think it could work for a Zuma-centered religion, since the Zuma are, frankly, a special case. Visiting Corsanctum just isn't very special (my character has traveled there, it was all right, but not as cool as, say, PeL or Flowrestown was). Visiting the Zuma is neat, because it's a weird place: especially if the religion made a big deal of it. Also, whatever religion Asylon founds probably will not spread super far. No offense, but an Astroist is the Duke of Shokalom, and most of Terran is staunchly Triunist, while Caerwyn is VE. Maybe Barca could convert, but I doubt it. Broadly speaking, I suspect Asylon's religion will remain, mostly, a local peculiarity. So pilgrimages may work just fine given that it won't be cross-continental.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #9: March 18, 2011, 11:48:03 PM »
Asylon already has reasons to go to Zuma regularly, trade agreements and such. The pilgrimages will just change how Asylonians will act while there, and given that the religion is designed to evolve according to the way the Zuma respond, it will be able to adapt to the Zuma.

Given that the Zuma have marked at least three nobles with the sign of their priests, I think they may be expecting something like this. I think if you go around placing magical signs on peoples foreheads they will sooner or later begin to seek answers about them.

I'll converse with the GM about this ICly once my char learns what Moritz has in store in Aspar. That'll be approximately a week maybe.

Igelfeld

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 20, 2011, 12:54:05 AM »
Otherwise, I have just a few suggestions: 

• Go with your instincts and make it 'unique and different from other religions within dwilight', but also unique and different from other RL religions. 
  • Don't define everything too proscriptively.  Leave space for people to add their own colour.  It won't be quick in coming, but if/when it does it will be worth it.
  • 'Actual in game actions they can do to progress further' is a good idea.  In SA we have an oath people can take to become (I've lost track of what they're called now, but they used to be:) guardians of the temple.  Players seem to take that personal oath seriously to the point that for some it's a major character point.

That's it for now.  I may think of some more. 

Should I be helping another Dwilight religion form?  No, of course not  :D

Thanks, indeed let me know if you think of more. I do like the oaths idea and will probably instill that somewhere along the line. And I am carefully trying to keep everything rather loose at the beginning. As the founder, I am going to present doctrine through sermons and lessons, but I am going to try and keep it rather vague and make the interpretation of it an important aspect. The only things that are really concrete at this time are the pilgrimages and the importance of the Zuma.

egamma

« Reply #11: March 22, 2011, 04:47:16 AM »
Try and have a greeting that people should use daily, like "God bless you", but different, obviously. "May the winds blow in your favor" would work for VE, for example.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 22, 2011, 06:47:07 AM »

I seem to recall mention of the Zuma religion back when we first talked to them. I believe the first King of Asylon tried to learn more from them about what the tenants were. The wording of their agreement to our colonial lands suggested that we were to ensure the tribesman of the area maintained their belief, but obviously not much came from that at the time.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.