Author Topic: A "no whining" policy ?  (Read 16306 times)

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
Re: A "no whining" policy ?
« Reply #15: April 14, 2012, 03:25:07 PM »
Then those who use OOC poop without OOC tag, would get reported to titan/magistarte what ever GM thing... and get penalty for it... believe me, it would stop at some point.

-Jaune
~Violence is always an option!~

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: April 14, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
Then those who use OOC poop without OOC tag, would get reported to titan/magistarte what ever GM thing... and get penalty for it... believe me, it would stop at some point.

-Jaune

And we'd lose 2/3 of the player base.

Next bright idea?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: April 14, 2012, 03:36:43 PM »
Uh, are you saying 2/3 of BM community want to use all in realm OOC poop? Uh, i bet i have seen far more people leave because of OOC poop that people who insist that they must be able to pee on peoples cerials through OOC crap.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: April 14, 2012, 03:40:06 PM »
Uh, are you saying 2/3 of BM community want to use all in realm OOC poop? Uh, i bet i have seen far more people leave because of OOC poop that people who insist that they must be able to pee on peoples cerials through OOC crap.

I'm saying that 2/3 of the BM community would be furious at being told that they could be punished for saying a single thing OOC. And rightfully so.

This is not a reasonable request.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: April 14, 2012, 03:50:12 PM »
I agree that there's too much whining going on, but I'm afraid it's just something that we have to deal with. This is the internet, after all. If I play BF3 online, I get whined at because I shoot people and I'm a cheater/hacker because I'm not supposed to be able to shoot people without cheating, apparently.

A bit of whining is normal, we have to deal with that. You can still punish the excessive whining on a case-to-case basis.

Sonya

• Mighty Duke
  • Traveling to a new world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: April 14, 2012, 05:36:07 PM »
I think we should leave these things like they are now.

Happened before, happens now, and will happens later, but not everyone put attention to these, or at least it just last a while in most cases.

Peace!

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: April 14, 2012, 05:43:48 PM »
Maybe in some others islands, but I really don't see so many whining

I honestly prefer to see a little whining than see nothing at all, that is what I see sometimes (or don't see)

IMMO I'd better want some game 'development' to make it more 'alive' than to shut up some little whiny

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: April 14, 2012, 06:28:09 PM »
One thing I would like to say is that when people have whined/vented they found out that they were wrong about what their complaint was and that their was quick fix that was shared with them. Telling people to go on forums I don't like because I myself get tired of making a bunch of accounts for everything even if it isn't doesn't take that long.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: April 14, 2012, 06:28:56 PM »
Then I wasn't clear enough and you are welcome to improve on my formulation. But the point is that criticism in the wrong place does more harm than good. What good is criticism if nobody who can do anything about it hears it? Heck, I don't mind creating a General Whining board if that's what it takes.

And yeah, there's a bit of a reaction in there. I have a very strong distaste for talking about people behind their backs. You want to say something about me? Say it to my face.

The problem with both the personal and the game "criticism" is that the dissenting views are rarely posted. There are lots of people enjoying things just like they are, but they don't post about it in OOC messages to the realm. The whining creates a wrong impression and bad atmosphere, because the non-whiners correctly abstain from abusing the in-game OOC for discussions

Basically, in the "boardgame with friends" metaphor, I feel like having invited an !@#$%^& who waits until the host leaves the room before telling everyone that the curtains suck and he hates the food. I know that as a fellow guest I'd feel awkward. As the host, I feel insulted. Not because you don't like my curtains, but because you talk behind my back, and that in my home.

You need to stop taking things so personally. You aren't a player in this board game. You're not even the host, really. You're more like the Parker Brothers or Bioware. The creator or publisher of the game, not a player. And as such people aren't going to and shouldn't have to complain directly to you all the time.

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: April 14, 2012, 07:41:29 PM »
I think Tom can handle things, i understanded that he was "worried" about regular players. When someone start to cry & whine something which most people who listen that crying cant do a thing... or have no intrest to participate OOC flamewar.

I really, really cant find anything that this game needs OOC messages to whole realm... just gimme some examples WHY you need to say something to 20+ OOCly? Want to chit chat with players, get yer butt to IRC or forums, want to tell that your goldfish died and you will be mourning it for few days and wont login, let your marshall or general or ruler or council know about it... Not to even mention these "You are breaking my inalienable rights and i will report you to titties!" wentings and arguing which turn more and more dirty.

But, i have survived 10 years with OOC poop, i guess i can handle it.. but i have seen many people quit cause of those.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: April 14, 2012, 07:56:04 PM »
I would like to mention there is a difference between complaining about something and a flamewar. I have nothing against reporting two players who are flaming to the whole realm.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: April 15, 2012, 12:42:23 AM »
I would like to mention there is a difference between complaining about something and a flamewar. I have nothing against reporting two players who are flaming to the whole realm.

Can flaming be a legitimate reason for an OOC ban? If not, perhaps it should be.

I think the OOC channel perfectly fits within the 'playing a board game with friends' principle. If I need help with an aspect of the game, or wish to compliment someone on a message I liked, or want to comment on a peculiar event, I like to use the OOC channel. I think OOC messages can be vital at times to defuse the heated relationships/feuds characters can have, and to make sure they do not grow into the player level.

TL;DR: OOC usually isn't bad, imho.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: April 15, 2012, 05:26:46 AM »

Indeed.

OOC complaints, or whining if you wish to call them as such, help me get the pulse of other players who would otherwise never use the forums to express themselves. It has also helped me on a few occasions get a better idea of how I could run or push things for them to be enjoyable to everyone. Sometimes, these events have led to great educational discussions of "Actually, X doesn't work as you think, it works as Y".

As long as it's civil. Ban flame wars if you will, I've seen a good number of those in the past and they are not good for the game, but don't censor anything else.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #28: April 15, 2012, 06:24:25 AM »
OOC complaints, or whining if you wish to call them as such,

There's a difference. Not every complaint is whining. A complaint made in the proper form and the proper forum is usually welcome.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: April 15, 2012, 06:35:56 AM »
OOC complaints, or whining if you wish to call them as such, help me get the pulse of other players who would otherwise never use the forums to express themselves.
Not trying to annoy you Tom but according to your definition every complaint he is talking about is whining as he is talking about in-game complaining using the ooc message type, which is whining by your definition due to the fact it is not even in the forums, since you said it needs to be in the proper forum.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 06:37:58 AM by Penchant »
― G.K. Chesterton