Author Topic: 'Too Much Peace' Realm-exceptions, an edit to the current code.  (Read 6205 times)

Maxim

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Basically, I think there should be a qualifier for the Too Much Peace mechanic.

Small Realms, like Summerdale and Averoth, can be utterly crippled by the Too Much Peace code, which basically forces combat. What you are essentially doing is making little realms find a War to throw themselves into in order to survive. If there are no Monsters then there's nothing to stave off Peace, and indeed monsters barely seem to do the trick at all. Regardless of the fight on Dwilight monsters are crazily strong (yes I know the justification) adventurers if efficient enough can literally then starve a small realm of >anything< to fight. It becomes a forced situation where they have to find war, even if it goes against what is sensible, practical, or indeed even fun or fair.

Big realms on the other hand should not have as much excuse. There are usually other large nations for them to fight, even if the results are massively destructive or one side or another as with any war. Big realms can afford to pay the price of Too Much Peace for a while since they have more gold, more regions, and more troops as standard, so even with stat and CS reductions, and region damage, they can hold out longer, and have less excuse for not fighting when it comes to the logistical capability of the realm.

Therefore, It seems to make sense to make a "Region limit" or "CS limit", (I'd think a mix of the two but thats complex) that adjusts when Too Much Peace becomes an issue. Just as with a Graded Tax System, but here you have different levels of severity depending on the size of the realm, with larger realms suffering the usual Too Much Peace but smaller realms being given less damage or indeed excluded from it altogether (what I think is most sensible) if they are under, say, 5 regions or such.

Because its fine having a code that throws big realms into war with other big realms. That gets the game moving. It seems silly, especially when you have to act IC and make the decision from an IC perspective, to make Small Realms find wars to jump into. Invariably they will end up against much bigger foes.

Auto-Realm-Destruction. Total-Character-Discrediation
"Who are you .. and are you relevant?"

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Therefore, It seems to make sense to make a "Region limit"...

This already exists. I don't remember the exact number of regions.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
We have also changed the region-damage mechanic of Too Much Peace to affect acceptable tax rate, rather than directly hurt the region stats.

And we have some ideas about making some other changes that would help.  Sooner or later.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

So during peaceful times, you have to set your tax rate lower than during war times?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
So during peaceful times, you have to set your tax rate lower than during war times?

That's correct.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Lower tax rates are fine. I also liked the idea of decreasing the training of everyone's units during peace time.
------
qui audet vincit

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos

Think of it this way, rather than lower taxes during peace time, higher taxes are sustainable in war times.  The same is true in general as well. :)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
We have also changed the region-damage mechanic of Too Much Peace to affect acceptable tax rate, rather than directly hurt the region stats.

Aha! This explains something that has been bothering me. After months of 14% taxes the peasants in my region on BT suddenly decided they hated it and dropped my stats through the floor for no reason I could explain... Until now. It's a good idea.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile

Is this true across the board, or just on testing so far?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Is this true across the board, or just on testing so far?

I believe it's just testing at present.

However, we should check up on how it's going, and if it's working properly, we can move it to stable within the next week or two, I think.
Timothy Collett

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Aha! This explains something that has been bothering me. After months of 14% taxes the peasants in my region on BT suddenly decided they hated it and dropped my stats through the floor for no reason I could explain... Until now. It's a good idea.

That only explains it if you've also been getting Too Much Peace messages...

There was, around the same time, a fix to a bug that's existed for as long as I've been in the game, that made certain large realms no longer be able to run such high tax rates.
Timothy Collett

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Well, I guess that could be it too. In fact that may be more likely. It started happening around the time Wudenkin switched over to us.