Author Topic: Stuff Brom Does  (Read 42480 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff Brom Does
« Reply #30: April 22, 2012, 05:20:07 PM »
I've seen that expression very often, and always wondered what it meant, "servant of the realm, not of the King/Queen". So far it has seemed to be "servant of oneself", to me.

What it means is, "I know how to run this place better than those idiots! If only everyone would listen to me, and do what I say, we wouldn't be having these problems! I'll show them all! THE FOOLS!!!!"

(So, basically, it means he's a traitor, especially in a Monarchy. In a Republic-style realm, he could make a case that he wasn't, but if he failed to win an election, then he was also not just against the Ruler, but against the people, so it kind of loses its punch.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: April 23, 2012, 01:04:13 AM »
I find Brom quite entertaining. We need trouble-makers, they make things interesting.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: April 23, 2012, 04:03:46 AM »
What it means is, "I know how to run this place better than those idiots! If only everyone would listen to me, and do what I say, we wouldn't be having these problems! I'll show them all! THE FOOLS!!!!"

Thank you for understanding so well. I'll just ignore that second line, because it obviously wasn't meant for Brom. [/Sarcasm]

I find Brom quite entertaining. We need trouble-makers, they make things interesting.

Gotta love a fan club.

----------------

So the question becomes: Is Brom getting closer to "Most Hated" on Dwilight yet? I mean we've got to be working our way up there at this point. Or maybe, we should go with "most loved" or "most feared."
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: April 23, 2012, 04:11:36 AM »
Thank you for understanding so well. I'll just ignore that second line, because it obviously wasn't meant for Brom. [/Sarcasm]

If by "second line" you mean the "I'll show them all!" part, then yes, you're right, it wasn't really meant for Brom. I've seen that sentiment from plenty of other characters in BattleMaster, though (and even been some of them!).
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: April 23, 2012, 04:14:02 AM »
If by "second line" you mean the "I'll show them all!" part, then yes, you're right, it wasn't really meant for Brom. I've seen that sentiment from plenty of other characters in BattleMaster, though (and even been some of them!).

Nope, the whole part about being a traitor. How could anyone ever be a traitor if they only ever really fight for themselves?
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: April 23, 2012, 04:18:12 AM »
Nope, the whole part about being a traitor. How could anyone ever be a traitor if they only ever really fight for themselves?

Oh. Um, wow. Duh?

Being a traitor has nothing to do with one's personal code or internal allegiance. It has to do with legality and one's formal allegiance.

Saying something like "how can someone who never really wanted to help the realm in the first place be a traitor?" is really, really dumb, you know?
Timothy Collett

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: April 23, 2012, 04:22:44 AM »
Oh. Um, wow. Duh?

Being a traitor has nothing to do with one's personal code or internal allegiance. It has to do with legality and one's formal allegiance.

Saying something like "how can someone who never really wanted to help the realm in the first place be a traitor?" is really, really dumb, you know?

Of course I do. Now how ppl keep giving this guy power, I just think is awesome.

Although, he does try and help the realms he is in. He'd never get anywhere if he didn't. We'll see if other places can turn out to be just as fun as Luria though. That'll be a hard one to beat.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #37: April 23, 2012, 10:47:04 PM »
Traitor by day and hero by night.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: April 23, 2012, 10:55:38 PM »

Is that right, or should it be the other way around?

It is funny though how everyone always forgets all the good Brom's done.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: April 24, 2012, 12:18:12 AM »

This made me lol. ;D
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: April 24, 2012, 04:57:42 AM »
Is that right, or should it be the other way around?

It is funny though how everyone always forgets all the good Brom's done.

You can say that about Stalin and Mao Zedong as well ::)

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: April 24, 2012, 05:04:01 AM »
You can say that about Stalin and Mao Zedong as well ::)

Except Brom never got the trains to run on time.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: April 24, 2012, 06:14:26 AM »
Except Brom never got the trains to run on time.

He single-handedly saved the cities of Giask and Askileon from starvation in his first term as Banker of Pian en Luries, and engineered the restoration of the starving realm that was Pian at the time. Meanwhile he implemented a productive system for moving forward with expansion and proper food management.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: April 24, 2012, 06:20:22 AM »
OOC justifications/accusations are the best justifications/accusations
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: April 24, 2012, 06:23:40 AM »
OOC justifications/accusations are the best justifications/accusations

So true. I mean in all fairness, only like 4 characters have a legit IC reason to be upset with Brom. The rest just are jumping onto the Brom hating wagon. At least half of those characters are dead too. Only one was Brom's direct fault. Although he received blame for the other. (Hi Arundel)