Author Topic: Stuff Brom Does  (Read 43019 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff Brom Does
« Reply #60: April 24, 2012, 08:23:33 PM »
Which then subsequently collapsed by his fault, causing not only the almost total destruction of Poryatown, but also the civil war that ended up destroying the city of Giask and most regions in the duchy. I think Brom is responsible for more lives lost than saved over his career in the Lurias, I'd say :p

And I'm not sure how Proslyn handled food business when he was Duke of Askileon, but under Amaury Brom had nothing to do with keeping the city fed, it was all handled internally by the Lords and the Duke ;)

Poryatown was terrible when Brom got it, and terrible when he left it. Net loss of population in Poryatown was only about 500-1000 peasants if my numbers are remembered correctly.

Lives lost vs saved is impossible to figure out, so I'm not really sure about making a statement like that although you've said it multiple times. To be fair thought: the lives of the civil war are at the feet of Amaury for not giving food to Poryatown, and beginning the cycle that started the war.

And yes Proslyn had Brom handle all of the food business of the duchy of Askileon. As Proslyn led Askileon for a really long time, Brom handled the food of the whole realm for a really long time as well.
Who would those be? Alanna, Amaury, Koli and Malus have to be included, and I can think of at least a dozen more with deep-rooted reasons to hate him.

The 4 I'm going with are:

Alanna (apparently immortal), Koli(dead?), Katerina(dead), and Farsil(alive).

Those are the only 4 Brom initially harmed directly in my opinion. Everyone else was either fall out, or chose to pick a fight with Brom. If your character chose to fight him, that's not his fault, imo.

Malus- Brom did nothing to. (OOC: Seriously, he didn't do anything. Unless you count placing initial clues to point towards Solaria in the beginning as targeting solely Malus).
Amaury- On the Alanna bandwagon. He really doesn't count, and probably wouldn't have hated Brom if he knew he wouldn't get any gain from Alanna by doing so.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: April 24, 2012, 08:34:10 PM »
Given Amaury's frequent and ever escalating quarrels with Alanna, did you really think he'd have purposely starved Brom's city if he didn't think Brom was a colossal tool? :o If he had to choose who he hated most, he'd pick between Brom and Fulco :p

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: April 24, 2012, 08:37:32 PM »
Given Amaury's frequent and ever escalating quarrels with Alanna, did you really think he'd have purposely starved Brom's city if he didn't think Brom was a colossal tool? :o If he had to choose who he hated most, he'd pick between Brom and Fulco :p

Amaury would have never became Duke, if he wasn't so outspoken against Brom. Alanna needed a strong ally to counter-act Brom's influence, so she chose Amaury as Duke of the Capitol to ensure it was held by an ally at the time, instead of Brom who had the strongest other claim to the city, within the realm.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: April 24, 2012, 08:38:20 PM »
... I have no reply to that.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: April 24, 2012, 08:38:33 PM »
Amaury would have never became Duke, if he wasn't so outspoken against Brom. Alanna needed a strong ally to counter-act Brom's influence, so she chose Amaury as Duke of the Capitol to ensure it was held by an ally at the time, instead of Brom who had the strongest other claim to the city, within the realm.

You really think there was a chance Alanna would have appointed Brom at that point?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: April 24, 2012, 09:17:55 PM »
You should seriously watch what you say. I stuck fully to my OOC agreement, but it was you and some other players which led Matt to leave the realm and ruin the whole thing due to your accusations of both of us cheating. Even if I didn't leave Luria due to IC reasons, I was going to leave for these simple OOC reasons of the playerbase assuming first cheating and OOC misbehavior first instead of giving players with a long history the benefit of the doubt.

I'm fine with all of the IC hate for Brom, because quite simply he deserves it. But, OOC accusations at myself are not acceptable.

What you've described is not the accepted interpretation of events.  Several people would benefit from your perspective, if you'd like to share the details.  It is generally understood that you agreed that if Brom was fingered as the assassin, you would cop to it, IC.  Is that not the case?

As to being accused of "cheating", I'm not even sure what that means in this context, but again: provide the details and I'll ensure that everyone involved is shamed.  Apparently, that also means me.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:19:28 PM by Solari »

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: April 24, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
What you've described is not the accepted interpretation of events.  Several people would benefit from your perspective, if you'd like to share the details.  It is generally understood that you agreed that if Brom was fingered as the assassin, you would cop to it, IC.  Is that not the case?

As to being accused of "cheating", I'm not even sure what that means in this context, but again: provide the details and I'll ensure that everyone involved is shamed.  Apparently, that also means me.

Matt stated he had little time to play around this time, and that if anyone wanted to roleplay rebellious actions or attempts on the life of the King that they should not pull punches because he had low activity at the time. I contacted him privately, and said I'd be interested in such. After some short discussions, we agreed that I would work with him in developing an RP initial plot of events concerning an attempted assassination of the King.

Matt would have full control over the success or failure of my attempt on the King's life as well as to how much and of what type of evidence would be found against Brom for any attack. He'd also determine whether or not Brom would eventually be caught, or whether he'd get away with it depending upon how players pursued the events and sought out clues. I would supply the initial set up of the plans, and background of events as well as probably evidence which could either lead to or away from Brom. He would roleplay all events for both of us, so that no OOC interactions would dictate who may have been the culprit. If in the end, the evidence pointed towards Brom, I would verify all evidence in an OOC manner as legitimate IC acceptable evidence and then proceed to roleplay IC from there.

I'm going to skip over the fact that Matt's leaving caused a few problems in how this issue was perceived and many complications arose, when the switch in who was my contact changed. Namely, a lot of the interpretations were different, but I went ahead with things because two or three players had decided to invest time in the RP and I wanted to not let them down.

In the end, evidence pointed towards Brom, and so I verified in an OOC manner to all players invovled that they could act on any such evidence they found and that it was acceptable IC evidence.

Brom however, as an IC character never admitted to any action, and I see no reason as to why he should admit to such, when it is a guaranteed death for the character should he have done so. He was tried based upon the evidence found against him, and we went forward with the IC events from there. I never as a player guaranteed that I would admit IC to committing a crime, but would simply allow IC events and roleplay to carry out from there. All evidence was considered acceptable to be used against me, but I did not choose to have Brom commit suicide by stating he killed the King. Some people thought that I should have done so, and that I had originally agreed to do so, but that wasn't true. More confusion occurred during the transfer of my contact, and that didn't help things of course.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: April 24, 2012, 09:48:16 PM »
You really think there was a chance Alanna would have appointed Brom at that point?

Nope. Absolutely zero chance at all. Alanna considered Brom an enemy (rightfully so), however she could not act outright against him, because she had no proof, and at the time of the appointment of Amaury, Brom still had a strong following.

I would say up until about 2 months before the Poryatown starvation incident. (When I was still actively playing my character, and before the fall out that such an incident ensured) that Brom was the 2nd most powerful person in Pian en Luries, second only to Alanna herself. He was well respected, and had a large noble following as up to that point his only (public) crime was speaking out against actions of the Queen. However, increasingly more frequent public arguments slowly degraded his influence, and the lack of activity leading into the Poryatown incident doomed Brom to never again have much influence in Pian en Luries. (Until he later returned, but still faced more enemies than usual)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: April 24, 2012, 11:30:37 PM »
I suppose there are a few more. Leaving Barca to marry the insane and evil Grand-mistress isn't doing his reputation any good in Barca, nor any 'Moot Republic. Although I must say that I could personally laugh about this, but hey, I know Brom longer than today and know that he is capable of doing things like this.

To Machiavel, Brom has no proper identity, he is henceforth only known as "Allison's groom". Which is an improvement over "some man whose name I think I might have seen mentioned once or twice in the past, somewhere by someone, which I cannot remember".
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #69: April 25, 2012, 12:03:50 AM »
To Machiavel, Brom has no proper identity, he is henceforth only known as "Allison's groom". Which is an improvement over "some man whose name I think I might have seen mentioned once or twice in the past, somewhere by someone, which I cannot remember".

he joined D'Hara for a week or two.

I think of him as 'the man who should become lord of Eregon"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: April 25, 2012, 12:10:53 AM »
he joined D'Hara for a week or two.

I think of him as 'the man who should become lord of Eregon"

Indeed, but that was quite unmemmorable.

Being part of D'Hara doesn't mean I remember the person. I often look at the noble list of the realms I play in and go "who the heck are all these people!?", only to see they've been in the realm for thousands of days.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Madigan

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: April 25, 2012, 12:41:42 AM »
Still unsure of how Brom managed to convince Hendrick of his innocence and even secure his friendship and loyalty - so in that regard, hats off to Brom. Particularly since Hendrick is in love with the cousin of the woman Brom ostensibly murdered.

I sincerely hope Brom decides to call on that friendship in the future and come to visit Luria Vesperi  :D
Silverfire: So who married Alice?
Woelfy: She's married to Hendrick Madigan
Silverfire: How much would it cost for someone to assasinate Hendrick Madigan for me

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #72: April 25, 2012, 12:54:20 AM »
Matt stated he had little time to play around this time, and that if anyone wanted to roleplay rebellious actions or attempts on the life of the King that they should not pull punches because he had low activity at the time. I contacted him privately, and said I'd be interested in such. After some short discussions, we agreed that I would work with him in developing an RP initial plot of events concerning an attempted assassination of the King.

Thanks for the explanation.  Care to take a stab at your claim that you and Matt were accused of "cheating?"

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: April 25, 2012, 12:58:08 AM »
Thanks for the explanation.  Care to take a stab at your claim that you and Matt were accused of "cheating?"

I was not a part of that, as those messages were not sent to me directly. I am just aware that they were sent, Matt either received or heard of them, and forwarded that information to me. Did not leave a good taste in my mouth with the whole situation though. So, essentially I cannot say more on that subject.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #74: April 25, 2012, 01:05:31 AM »
Still unsure of how Brom managed to convince Hendrick of his innocence and even secure his friendship and loyalty - so in that regard, hats off to Brom. Particularly since Hendrick is in love with the cousin of the woman Brom ostensibly murdered.

I sincerely hope Brom decides to call on that friendship in the future and come to visit Luria Vesperi  :D

Never killed the woman. Jumping out of a window doesn't count. (its not like I pushed her, if you're referring to Katarina)

Although you'll find Brom manages to make a lot of friends, and it probably has something to do with the fact that for the most part he doesn't betray them. Part of me thinks a lot of people were just jealous of his influence. (Or the constant pomp if his speaking.)

It also helps that Brom almost never gets involved in things (publicly) that could make him look bad. He also pretty much always speaks reason, and such. Its hard to argue with reason, even if it is coming from someone who you'd rather see dead.