Author Topic: Stronghold locations  (Read 12499 times)

Zakilevo

Stronghold locations
« Topic Start: April 25, 2012, 04:14:20 AM »
At the moment, many strongholds are placed in meaningless places. Like under mountains or middle of a desert, or at the end of a map. Many armies can simply go around those fortresses without losing too much of their time. Why attack strongholds when you can attack cities...

I think fortresses should be placed across a bridge or more strategic points where people are forced to attack it or they have to go around much longer distances.

If moving strongholds can't be done, maybe there should be some other things to compensate for it?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Stronghold locations
« Reply #1: April 25, 2012, 04:28:58 AM »
Got some ideas. It's not stuff that's going to happen before the Doctrine transition is done, but I have "make strongholds matter" high on my priority list after that.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

« Reply #2: April 25, 2012, 04:32:50 AM »
Got some ideas. It's not stuff that's going to happen before the Doctrine transition is done, but I have "make strongholds matter" high on my priority list after that.

Sounds wonderful Tim. Hopefully the doctrine transition will be done soon...

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 25, 2012, 05:05:35 AM »
It would be nice if you shared your ideas despite the fact it will be a while until its done.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 25, 2012, 05:12:05 AM »
It would be nice if you shared your ideas despite the fact it will be a while until its done.

I'd like to run them past Tom first, since they involve real balance changes.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 25, 2012, 05:14:03 AM »
I'd like to run them past Tom first, since they involve real balance changes.
Quite understandable. Also thanks for the quick reply.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #6: April 25, 2012, 06:35:53 AM »
Hehe, after the Doctrine transition. ;)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Eithad

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 25, 2012, 09:14:22 AM »
Allow recruitment from strongholds....BOOM instant game changer.

Sure everyone can walk around a stronghold, the thing is no one wants to have an enemy army behind their main force.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 25, 2012, 04:22:06 PM »
That would definitely give strongholds a new purpose.  But you would still need to get a bunch of nobles into the stronghold behind the enemy army, so I doubt it would have the effect that you are suggesting. 
It would simply make strongholds more desirable.  I suppose it would therefore make strongholds on the border of two warring realms very big targets. 

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 25, 2012, 04:26:56 PM »
A small thing maybe, but strongholds would be slightly more useful if you could fully repair in them. I always thought strongholds would be more military focused than a city, so why would they have fewer/less skilled blacksmiths?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 25, 2012, 04:44:36 PM »
That always bugged me, too.

Strongholds do have some obscure, nice advantages that no one has ever figured out, too.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 25, 2012, 04:45:36 PM »
Like what? High walls? Additional bank if you move your capital there?
Gregorian (Eponllyn), Baudouin (Cathay), Thaddeus (Cathay), Leopold (Niselur)

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: April 25, 2012, 05:09:17 PM »
I think fortresses should be placed across a bridge or more strategic points where people are forced to attack it or they have to go around much longer distances.

That sounds nice on paper, but falls down very quickly once you put it into the game. Just look at the wars that have happened around the lake on Atamara. Both sides of the bridges have townslands on them and max. level 2 walls. Every single war I have seen fought over there during my 5+ years of playing have devolved into staring matches across the bridge and an occasional assault or two. Add in a stronghold on either side with level 5 walls and it just turns into a war that isn't any fun at all.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: April 25, 2012, 05:26:49 PM »
Strongholds do have some obscure, nice advantages that no one has ever figured out, too.

I'm intrigued.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: April 25, 2012, 06:12:26 PM »
Like I said, they are obscure, but nice.

Whether or not they can be revealed is not my decision.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.