Author Topic: Food  (Read 102853 times)

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Food
« Topic Start: May 07, 2012, 08:15:54 AM »
I am curious to see what other realms on Dwilight need for food.  Kabrinskia used to have a slight surplus of food production.  We now have a deficit of 144 bushels per day.  I saw a post about Solaria going from having a huge surplus to needing 18 bushels of food per day.  That is a medium sized city and lots of rural regions.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Food
« Reply #1: May 07, 2012, 09:25:38 AM »
5 rurals can't feed Golden Farrow anymore, and 6 can't even feed Poryatown?  Wow, we are screwed with 10 rurals to feed two cities, one of which is Darfix (though that won't be a problem for while yet, population is still sub-2k)
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 07, 2012, 10:45:41 AM »
Also, are Solaria and Kabrinskia struggling to feed their cities, or to keep their granaries full? There is a huge difference; you lose 7% of your granary every week now. When your granaries are empty, you won't be losing those anymore.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 07, 2012, 12:31:43 PM »
Also, are Solaria and Kabrinskia struggling to feed their cities, or to keep their granaries full? There is a huge difference; you lose 7% of your granary every week now. When your granaries are empty, you won't be losing those anymore.

Solaria runs a net deficit of 18 bushels per day, where we had previously run a 200% surplus. 

EDIT: I just read in another thread that bad weather may be the culprit for these crazy numbers.  Almost all of SE Dwilight is in a single weather region, so a drought for one region usually means a drought for all.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:35:42 PM by Solari »

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 07, 2012, 01:38:18 PM »
I really miss the stats being live. 2 weeks delay is so long... by the time I can see the info, I forget I even wanted to see it...

What's the global deficit, now?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 07, 2012, 03:05:17 PM »
I am curious to see what other realms on Dwilight need for food.  Kabrinskia used to have a slight surplus of food production.  We now have a deficit of 144 bushels per day.  I saw a post about Solaria going from having a huge surplus to needing 18 bushels of food per day.  That is a medium sized city and lots of rural regions.

It is at least partly weather effects.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6: May 07, 2012, 03:07:37 PM »
Even Barca, a realm with much rural lands and only 2 small cities has a deficit. Where we used to have a nice surplus, we currently have a deficit of 11 bushels a day.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #7: May 07, 2012, 04:44:46 PM »
Even Barca, a realm with much rural lands and only 2 small cities has a deficit. Where we used to have a nice surplus, we currently have a deficit of 11 bushels a day.

So by a rough calculation based on the average food stores on Dwilight, you are in a terrible, terrible position, as your stores will last you less than three real-life years. :-)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 07, 2012, 05:29:30 PM »
So by a rough calculation based on the average food stores on Dwilight, you are in a terrible, terrible position, as your stores will last you less than three real-life years. :-)

Except that, Tom, for a realm with small cities and tons of rurals, they should have an infinite timespan. That's the point of a surplus.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Feylonis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 07, 2012, 05:44:54 PM »
Does the whole food output potential of Dwilight even match the whole potential population?

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 07, 2012, 06:38:18 PM »
It's not supposed to. I believe the intent with food has always been for it to be a source of conflict, a resource over which wars would be fought. If there's enough to go around that kind of defeats the point.

Also, seasons may be affecting things. Spring has somewhat reduced output from the baseline, or it did in the old system. I'd expect to see the numbers go up somewhat when summer rolls around if seasons still play a role in food production.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: May 07, 2012, 06:40:17 PM »
It's not supposed to. I believe the intent with food has always been for it to be a source of conflict, a resource over which wars would be fought. If there's enough to go around that kind of defeats the point.

That's not necessarily the case.

To give a simplistic example, if the western half of Dwilight had 50% of the food needed to feed itself, while the eastern half had 200%, there would be more than enough to go around, but it would still cause conflict.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: May 07, 2012, 06:41:33 PM »
That's not necessarily the case.

To give a simplistic example, if the western half of Dwilight had 50% of the food needed to feed itself, while the eastern half had 200%, there would be more than enough to go around, but it would still cause conflict.

Fair enough.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: May 08, 2012, 01:47:53 AM »

Wait, what? If Barca doesn't produce a surplus anymore, who the hell does?

Because in the top 4 food supply realms, one of them had no city left (Madina), and 2 of them have confirmed to now run deficits (Solaria and Barca). The other I have no idea about.

It really sounds as if this change has made EVERY realm start to starve...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 01:51:53 AM by Chénier »
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: May 08, 2012, 02:11:41 AM »
Only the banker can see the realm-wide balance, right? I will have to ask ours.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.