Author Topic: Militia, Magic, and Monkey Business  (Read 6305 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Militia, Magic, and Monkey Business
« Topic Start: March 22, 2011, 05:56:06 PM »
Three major new changes were committed so far today, which will go live with revision 5339.

The first is notifications of militia attrition.  Militia units have always lost a few men every few days, and small militia units auto-disbanded.  However, until now, there has been no notification of this.  Now, Lords will be notified each day of the militia losses that day—both from attrition, and from undetected murder by infiltrators.

The second is the implementation of three previously unimplemented scroll types, Magic Steeds, Magic Weapons, and Magic Armour.

The third is the implementation of a feature that has been sitting with a little "TODO" tag on it for years now: the ability to buy a region, but have the fraud delayed till sunrise.  This will make it indistinguishable from a normal region revolt. Of course, it also gives the guards more time to cotton on to the scheme, and an extra chance to catch the fraudster.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Re: Militia, Magic, and Monkey Business
« Reply #1: March 22, 2011, 08:29:03 PM »
Yay! :D
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #2: March 23, 2011, 07:52:10 AM »
post a shorter version to announcement, perhaps, so it's on the login screen?

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 23, 2011, 07:57:16 AM »
Execellent.

Love seeing all the new stuff being announced and implemented lately.

Great work, everyone!
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 23, 2011, 09:35:01 PM »
Magic steeds? Interesting.

egamma

« Reply #5: March 23, 2011, 10:16:38 PM »
Magic steeds? Interesting.

Like a talking donkey?

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 23, 2011, 10:29:16 PM »
Like a talking donkey?

I was hoping for a steed of singing.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #7: March 23, 2011, 11:28:16 PM »
How does one come to acquire these... magical entities?
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 24, 2011, 12:37:40 AM »
Advies. Just as advies can consult sages to make and repair unique items, they can also find wizards to make scrolls. The advy can then trade the scroll to nobles.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #9: March 24, 2011, 12:52:54 AM »
Those scrolls are pretty rare and have a tendency to sputter. If they don't sputter, sometimes they still fail to have the desired effect. For some scrolls this is true. Man, modern "magic" has lost a lot of steps.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 01, 2011, 03:39:53 PM »
What does a magic steed do? Is it a literal magic horse in the form of a unique item, or does it just make your unit move faster or something?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 02, 2011, 02:16:49 AM »
From what I hear, it allows a infantry unit to act as cavalry for one battle. So get yourself a unit of 80 Remton Steele, cast the spell and watch the fireworks. It would be almost impossbile, but I love the idea of a Arcaean infantry army all using the scroll for a single battle.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: April 02, 2011, 09:08:03 PM »
From what I hear, it allows a infantry unit to act as cavalry for one battle. So get yourself a unit of 80 Remton Steele, cast the spell and watch the fireworks. It would be almost impossbile, but I love the idea of a Arcaean infantry army all using the scroll for a single battle.

Wouldn't that be a sight.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #13: April 03, 2011, 04:01:34 AM »
Yeah, especially if it makes the infantry essentially cavalry without any prior warning. Watching everyone clawing at the walls feebly is funny. There has been more than one battle in which a single archer unit behin fortifications held off several cavalry-only units. My memory shows up as one in Fontan vs Sirion when there was this Sirion army that used almost exclusively cavalry. They got intercepted in a region with walls, maybe a townsland, and they all got forced to retreat by about 20 men.