Author Topic: Sir or Lord or ??  (Read 16375 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Sir or Lord or ??
« Reply #30: May 30, 2012, 12:01:55 AM »
Why do Dukes keep that title when they're not Dukes anymore? And does that still happen with the new system?

That's not a title, it's their rank.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: May 30, 2012, 12:27:45 AM »
And then I usually always try to come up with a standard sign-off for each of my characters.

This is particularly annoying if you have to communicate with them a lot of time.

As far as "Noble" goes, I address any noble new to the realm without an estate as "Noble X" in private letters. Granted, I'm a Duke, so I could call them anything I wanted and get away with it, but hey. If they aren't a knight of a region, I don't consider them a knight for "sir"
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: May 30, 2012, 12:45:45 AM »
I really enjoy the sign-offs aspect as well. It is perhaps one of the most dynamic parts of letter writing and can tell you a whole lot about someone.

"Respectfully," is always good for nobles above you and especially ones you do not know. "Yours," or "Respectfully Yours," for those close friends. And then I usually always try to come up with a standard sign-off for each of my characters.

George Washington of all people was actually famous for this; you can tell the mood of any given letter he'd written by his sign-off. You can even see the gradual decline of his friendship with Henry Knox that way without even perusing the contents. Kinda off-topic but I think it's cool that you kinda write the same way.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: May 30, 2012, 01:21:33 AM »
This is particularly annoying if you have to communicate with them a lot of time.

What? Really? Why?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: May 30, 2012, 01:28:57 AM »
What? Really? Why?

Its only Perth's that I have an issue with. Makes you sound to just and powerful. How am I supposed to feel good talking to a King who knows he has more power than me?
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: May 30, 2012, 01:36:43 AM »
Its only Perth's that I have an issue with.

>:(
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: May 30, 2012, 03:58:07 AM »
How come noone has posted this? [[RP Primer]]

Edit: I see the wiki link is not working. This, then:
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/RP_Primer
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: May 30, 2012, 04:10:12 AM »
How come noone has posted this? [[RP Primer]]

Edit: I see the wiki link is not working. This, then:
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/RP_Primer

I had completely forgotten it had existed. While I was well aware of its edicts, that is very good to read again. It is time for my Duke to start using the "Royal We" in a Republic. Let's see how long he can get away with it. (I'm guessing a long time, or at least until Kinsey sees it)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: May 30, 2012, 08:51:37 AM »
Wow, it's been so long I'm not toally sure I've read it all. Thanks! Looks like my environment in the game is quite easy on the titulature, too easy perhaps.

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: June 26, 2012, 09:59:36 AM »
Newbies are still technically knights, they're just unlanded, so "Sir" or "Dame" should be the proper form of address.  The rest is in that RP primer, which is a great resource that everyone should read.
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: October 27, 2012, 04:36:41 PM »
Ladies and Gentlemen, allow me to add some clarification using things I have found useful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_and_noble_ranks

The Sir and Lady titles donors get I typically regard from an IC perspective as membership in a Knightly Order, which would allow the prefix of Sir or Lady, but wouldn't be the proper form of address if they hold a higher title (like a lordship)

Religious titles are also easy. Higher level elders "your eminence" works, aka someone on the same level as a cardinal. For someone on the same level as a Bishop "Your grace" is appropriate. For someone on level with the pope you can't go wrong with "your holiness" or "holy father/mother"
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.