Author Topic: Regarding Winter.  (Read 17278 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding Winter.
« Reply #30: July 19, 2012, 05:38:24 PM »
That presupposes that Tom will tell you how he implemented it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

« Reply #31: July 19, 2012, 06:32:20 PM »
egamma,

would you not then always know the length of the last season when you knew the length of the third one?

Don't we have that 'problem' right now, but for all 4 seasons, instead of just 1?

If it was implemented between summer and autumn, you wouldn't know how long winter, spring, or autumn would be, which are arguably the most critical seasons?

Duvaille

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: July 19, 2012, 06:43:06 PM »
egamma, this is true and tasty.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: July 19, 2012, 07:18:06 PM »
Something like this: The length of the IG year remains constant (84 days). At the beginning of each year, the seasons are assigned random no. of days (16-26, or something similiar) and the total no. of days of all the seasons adds up to 84 ?
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #34: July 19, 2012, 07:20:06 PM »
I would laugh if one of the years ended up being one day each for spring, summer, and autumn, then the rest of the days were winter. Then I'd break down and cry.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: July 19, 2012, 07:29:04 PM »
I would laugh if one of the years ended up being one day each for spring, summer, and autumn, then the rest of the days were winter. Then I'd break down and cry.

The seasons are assigned random no. of days (16-26, or something similiar)

I think you need glasses.
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #36: July 19, 2012, 08:51:31 PM »
And? I was speaking in general, not regarding a specific post.

Plus I wasn't even being serious.  :P

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: July 19, 2012, 08:59:13 PM »
Lets just add a new continent that is the Arctic equivalent on the BM planet? It's completely covered with ice/snow regions with extremely long and harsh winters.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

T Strike

• Noble Lord
  • What happened?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: July 19, 2012, 09:19:58 PM »
I don't think civilization is possible in the northern extremes of the arctic. Unless mass amounts of trading took place OR if we became a full set of carnivores and ate anything in sight...
Westmoor: Cross... Coria: Yenom... Caelum: Gawain... Astrum: Ekirt

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: July 19, 2012, 10:06:09 PM »
I don't think civilization is possible in the northern extremes of the arctic.

You don't believe in Inuits?

Unless mass amounts of trading took place OR if we became a full set of carnivores and ate anything in sight...

That's pretty much how you survive in the arctic, yes.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Duvaille

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: July 19, 2012, 10:09:09 PM »
Perth,

Yes, we could have a continent of "Depressia" where winters are long, crops frequently fail, starvation is the norm and life harsh in all manner of ways. Non-heroes would die in battle as well and assassinations would kill your character. On top of these there would be plagues and dark creatures creeping in the snow. There we would forge a culture of either ruthless struggle for survival or one of compassion and sacrifice. Nothing would last, and anything that blossoms awhile would be crushed under the chilling snowstorms of the dark north.

Where do I sign?

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: July 19, 2012, 10:24:24 PM »
Perth,

Yes, we could have a continent of "Depressia" where winters are long, crops frequently fail, starvation is the norm and life harsh in all manner of ways. Non-heroes would die in battle as well and assassinations would kill your character. On top of these there would be plagues and dark creatures creeping in the snow. There we would forge a culture of either ruthless struggle for survival or one of compassion and sacrifice. Nothing would last, and anything that blossoms awhile would be crushed under the chilling snowstorms of the dark north.

Where do I sign?

Sounds like Dwilight a bit, as it used to be. Just more fun :D

Vessol

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: July 20, 2012, 12:16:56 AM »
Perth,

Where do I sign?

I would freaking love a permadeath required island with harsh conditions. I know that this is unlikely to happen anytime soon due to the population, but if we ever do add another island please make it a "hardcore" permadeath only island that resembles Dwilight when it was mostly unsettled :).
Mithridates Family: Vessol (Nivemus), Samos (Farronite Republic)
The White Tree Times, Newspaper for the East Continent
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/The_White_Tree_Times

Lanyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: July 20, 2012, 12:29:21 AM »
I agree permadeath would be a cool feature, but i think it would lead to a LOT more infiltrators and less wars because everyone would be scared of losing their character. But hey I'd give it a run as long as travel times were adjusted to make travel "normalish" and not super long everywhere because of winter

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: July 20, 2012, 12:40:13 AM »
I would be into a hardcore map. But I love Dwilight way too much
We live lives in beautiful lies...