Author Topic: REJECTED: Royal Granary and Royal Treasury  (Read 23106 times)

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Granary and Royal Treasury
« Reply #30: July 24, 2012, 04:26:08 PM »
Lot of discussion hmm interesting.

@De-legro you are right about your assumption purpose was to give Banker a small pool of food where he can assist the realms regions.

Why would they not get defacto trader abilities? maybe on a small scale compared to traders but they should have some. It isn't like they have anything else beside reports.

True, positions are only as strong as the realm as a whole makes them. I understand that and what you are saying, but I agree bankers seem to be lower than regional lords in abilities and power. Giving them the ability to transfer a small amount of food doesn't make them Over powered.

Food Tax, that doesn't seem to be on Tom's good side. But the original idea was to push region lords to sell food before tax day. Else they'd be taxed 1-3 percent of it. Giving them a motive to not sit and collect large stores. As well as to make it difficult for the Banker to get funds. He'd have to rely on the hope that region lords do not sell their food. Yet, with this implemented they would umm wouldn't they?

I do see your point that food is the region lords. However, I think back then food for the most part was actually the Rulers. He taxed them gold as well as food. If im wrong then so be it though I remember King Richard bleeding his people virtually dry to fund his army for the crusades, thought that included food. Maybe I'm wrong, im not much of a history buff.
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #31: July 24, 2012, 04:41:46 PM »
So now we agree that food is the region lord's property.

If the banker wants trader benefits, become a trader.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: July 24, 2012, 08:38:49 PM »
just offering solutions to the dodgy dukeship.

i maintain giving lords the option of appointing bankers as stewards will solve problems of lords not wanting to care about food. (need the option to resign as steward.... pretty sure current knight stewards can't resign either)... that is, if there's anyone interested in doing food. if there isn't... too bad.
firefox

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: July 24, 2012, 09:18:49 PM »
I support the idea of a Royal/Whatever-Government Granary and Coin Vault, as was normal in medieval times. (Even the church had their own grain/gold stores! WHOEVER CONTROLS THE SPICE CONTROLS TH- Wait. Grain, not spice. Derp.)
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: July 24, 2012, 09:50:28 PM »
Dwilight? whats that? Thought we were talking about Royal granary and treasury. Right!

Do you think this is feasible to do? I know my idea has some lets say gaps. Yet, What do you think of the actual idea being purposed?
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #35: July 24, 2012, 09:55:30 PM »
There will be no "virtual" food. Period. Any food in the game will always be in some actual place - a region granary or marketplace. You want a "royal granary"? Make the banker a region lord and institute a law that every region has to sell him a fixed amount of food for a fixed amount of gold every month or whatever.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: July 25, 2012, 07:35:41 AM »
... the point is.. i already mentioned existing tools for dealing with such an issue.
firefox

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #37: July 25, 2012, 09:17:45 AM »
I still fail to see what's bad about it. From a gameplay perspective. Does this cause people to have less fun playing the game? Why?

Yes, especially in Dwilight where your little experiment to improve trade has failed. Now there's even less of it, since people are focusing on hoarding what little food is left for their realm.

Zakilevo

« Reply #38: July 25, 2012, 09:20:36 AM »
When will the auto buy/sell come back? I think once we get that working we don't have to worry about lazy people anymore. Well we will still have some but hopefully it will fix some of the issues...

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #39: July 25, 2012, 12:10:59 PM »
Yes, especially in Dwilight where your little experiment to improve trade has failed. Now there's even less of it, since people are focusing on hoarding what little food is left for their realm.

That has nothing to do with this particular issue. And I'm working on fixing that.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: July 25, 2012, 02:48:56 PM »
Not that it's my call, but it's most certainly not something my character would do, nor likely the realm's ruler.

Propose a solution that's not gamey?

I have a couple in my mind, but they're not for this game, would require way too many changes.

Allow the banker to act as steward for a region with no lord. This would help with part of this situation.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: July 25, 2012, 03:03:42 PM »
Allow the banker to act as steward for a region with no lord. This would help with part of this situation.

Potential for abuse: you could run a realm with a single character. You appoint yourself Tyrant, Duke and Banker. You appoint yourself as lord of different regions of your realm in turns to build RCs, temples, adjust taxes, etc. You use your banker ability to move food around, and you set all taxes to 100% to collect all the gold to yourself.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: July 25, 2012, 03:06:17 PM »
Potential for abuse: you could run a realm with a single character. You appoint yourself Tyrant, Duke and Banker. You appoint yourself as lord of different regions of your realm in turns to build RCs, temples, adjust taxes, etc. You use your banker ability to move food around, and you set all taxes to 100% to collect all the gold to yourself.

...seriously? You're seriously suggesting anyone would actually do this? And that this imaginary idiot would be allowed to do so by the rest of the realm? Come on now...

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: July 25, 2012, 03:15:48 PM »
The problem is you have a royal duke who does not appoint lords in his duchy.  These regions have no steward.  You want access to the region's food.  Correct?

Why is the problem with the last part rather than solving the cause?  Can you think of any other more common circumstances that would demand a similar change?

That's probably a better way of putting it: if it were easy to control the output of a region with no Lord, then what incentive is there to appoint a Lord in the first place?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: July 25, 2012, 03:16:25 PM »
No, I want a way to move food with the collaboration of the entire realm, minus one duke.