Author Topic: Starvation  (Read 4834 times)

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Starvation
« Topic Start: July 26, 2012, 03:48:44 AM »
How long does starvation persist after food is brought into the region?
I have a city which is still starving after having food in the granaries for 8 days. 
At what point does this become a bug?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Starvation
« Reply #1: July 26, 2012, 03:52:59 AM »
Where is the continued Starvation mentioned? Are you still losing peasants to starvation?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 26, 2012, 04:21:05 AM »
You will still receive messages of "local starvation" in the daily reports, and troops getting sick for a period of time after food arrives. The exact length of time depends on how long the starvation has been going on. The worse the starvation was, the longer it takes to go away.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 26, 2012, 07:10:38 AM »
a banker's screen (one of them, don't know which. only saw a screenshot somewhere) tells you how bad the starvation is.. (in words, not numbers) might help?
firefox

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #4: July 26, 2012, 07:57:57 AM »
The word messages should have decreased in severity steadily.  If not, can you post the last 8 days' region reports on the bugtracker?

You should also have seen the effects of starvation steadily become milder.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

oblivian2003

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Starvation vs Family Investment
« Reply #5: August 03, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
I am a region lord in Dwilight and my region is suffering the effect of starvation, peasants begging in the street etc. My question is would a family investment be benificial. The region would normally produce a large excess of food, but has suffered looting, extended winter and went rogue for a bit. I am worried of investing in the region for the starvation to only wipe out the investment. If the investment endured the starvation for a few turns it should produce enough food for a while. Any advice would be welcome.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Starvation vs Family Investment
« Reply #6: August 03, 2012, 06:08:28 PM »
If the population is high enough for investment, and the region produces a significant surplus under normal conditions, then an investment is likely to boost production enough that it can feed itself for a few days.

If you can fix the other stats during that time so that it doesn't spiral back down, then the investment is likely to be worthwhile. You won't get the money back, in all likelihood, but you should at least be able to save the region.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #7: August 03, 2012, 06:09:41 PM »
A family investment boosts production, thus boosting food produced per day.  If your region normally produces a surplus, it's likely that a family investment would help ease the starvation and possibly aid in ending it, but obviously it varies depending on how well the region's other stats are and who's working to keep it afloat with courts and courtier work.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 03, 2012, 06:13:10 PM »
My rule of thumb is to only invest in regions that have high morale, high loyalty and high control (core). I would prefer investing in a neighbouring food-producing region that is in good shape, and broker a deal with its lord for a steady food supply, than invest in my own broken region. Investments are nice but on rare occasions, when not properly guarded, they can backfire.
Ardet nec consumitur.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 03, 2012, 06:19:24 PM »
... depends, doesn't it. does it normally produce a surplus even during a drought? (assuming your region are part of the regions in drought)

investment will bring the region above 100%... aside from that... it might drive the region rogue or flip to another realm if control isn't sufficiently high.
firefox

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 03, 2012, 07:24:16 PM »
Remember that not even investment can ever bring food production over 100%. You can't increase the size of the fields.

This applies to Fleugs' suggestion, too: if the neighbour is already at or near 100%, an investment won't help.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 03, 2012, 08:20:33 PM »
In order for an investment to help food production, you would need the following conditions:

1) population >50%. Below this level you cannot invest.
2) production <100%. Remember that food production is capped at 100%. Investing in a region that has 90% production will have a marginal benefit to food production. If production is 30%, you will have a significant increase.

The higher the morale/loyalty, the slower production will drop back to normal sustainable levels. But if it is bad enough, you may not really care, if you can stop the Starvation Spiral o' Doom.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 03, 2012, 09:03:01 PM »
does it help if due to drought, 100% production still doesn't give enough to feed the region?

eg...

let's say a region produces 11 and uses 10 at 100% normal weather.
during drought.. let's say it produces 7 at 100% and there's no stock in the warehouse.

let's say the region is 50% production atm...  and thus produces 4 and consumes 10..

so.. is production of 7 better than 4 or does it not make a difference?
firefox

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 03, 2012, 09:05:02 PM »
No, an investment will not counteract a drought.
Timothy Collett

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 03, 2012, 09:15:05 PM »
eh... that's not my question. i know investment will not increase production beyond 100%.

what i was saying was.. if there's no food in the region. does it matter how big the daily deficit is.

ie.. does a small deficit incur less severe starvation?
firefox