Author Topic: Campaigns  (Read 16057 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Campaigns
« Reply #45: August 07, 2012, 03:10:11 AM »
Name one? In every major religion the church has held separate power from the state.  (Yes, the church has declared the war, but has still been separate from the military force it raised.)

Mexico early 1800's for example where Catholic priest lead rebel "armies" of  leading armies of mestizos and Indians.

Thomas Becket was  Archdeacon of Canterbury and had other ecclesiastical offices included a number of benefices, prebends at Lincoln Cathedral and St Paul's Cathedral, and the office of Provost of Beverley when he became Lord Chancellor for Henry the second, and on occasion in that role lead the kings Armies before going on to become Archbishop of Canterbury.

If you want to go further back Judah Maccabee who lead the Maccabees Jewish rebel army against the Seleucid Empire was a Kohen. He was regarded as one of the greatest warriors of Jewish history and Hanukkah commemorates the restoration of Jewish worship at the temple instituted by him

Huldrych Zwingli a leader of the church reformations in Switzerland died in battle with many reformation pastors to be found in the Zurich army, though I'm not sure if he lead that army. He had previously been called upon state the terms of armistice for the First Kappel War
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 03:35:00 AM by De-Legro »
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Alasteir

• Knight
  • March!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: August 07, 2012, 05:22:20 AM »
Yup, and we can list the Jedis leading the Republican Clone Army against the separatists.

Unfortunelly, we are talking about something that only occurs in BM by roleplays: interactions between an independent thing (religion) and other (military) mechanics. I always thought the priest could ever been no a class, but a trait, something a warrior (a.k.a. paladin) could be. But, honestly, the way BM goes is better. Today, we can do horrible things, like drive dozen of fanatics to break up the production and kill many peasants, conduct an "Auto-da-fé" to punish unbelievers, even a religious take over. Imagine combine this with the possibility to carry an army. If we have this, I believe theocracies will appear everywhere.

To do what you want, we can simply have a religious warrior. We don't need a military priest, neither someone gainning hours like a priest and driving a large army through enemy lands.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: August 07, 2012, 05:29:59 AM »
Yup, and we can list the Jedis leading the Republican Clone Army against the separatists.

Unfortunelly, we are talking about something that only occurs in BM by roleplays: interactions between an independent thing (religion) and other (military) mechanics. I always thought the priest could ever been no a class, but a trait, something a warrior (a.k.a. paladin) could be. But, honestly, the way BM goes is better. Today, we can do horrible things, like drive dozen of fanatics to break up the production and kill many peasants, conduct an "Auto-da-fé" to punish unbelievers, even a religious take over. Imagine combine this with the possibility to carry an army. If we have this, I believe theocracies will appear everywhere.

To do what you want, we can simply have a religious warrior. We don't need a military priest, neither someone gainning hours like a priest and driving a large army through enemy lands.

I'm not asking for Priest to lead units or any other changes. I simply pointing out that I had fun having my Priest be a (mostly useless) marshal and General and glad I was able to do it before any code changes to prevent Priest being in armies.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: August 07, 2012, 08:43:24 AM »
Can't this be done simply by guilds or even religion(Theocracy)?

Depends on how you define simply. Guilds and religions have built-in limitations, the most important of which being that you need to travel to a guildhouse/temple or meet an Elder to join them and that maintenance of the structure is required.

If Campaigns replicate that mechanics for warriors, in particular if warriors need to travel to some sort of headquarters to join them, then I fully agree with them.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: August 09, 2012, 08:38:54 PM »
The only useful military (?) position for a priest is army sponsor, general for those self serving, shallow, money hoarding, <insert more>, priests.
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: August 10, 2012, 12:38:41 AM »
I can understand a functional restriction on Priests being Marshals or VMs, because they need to be present at the battle to do anything, and you can't be present without a unit. Priests as generals, however, seem entirely plausible (and awesome).

egamma

« Reply #51: August 10, 2012, 02:57:32 PM »
Are there council position restrictions on priests still?

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: August 10, 2012, 03:52:24 PM »
Are there council position restrictions on priests still?

You can definitely appoint Priests as General. I've been both General and a Priest with Askarn for the past six months on BT.

As Solari should know.
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: August 30, 2012, 10:54:15 PM »
Interesting idea.

I have the same concern as a few of the others in the thread, that this will greatly enhance the power and cohesion of existing power blocs. I would like to see a mechanic that encourages campaigns to be a time-limited construct, i.e. they are created for a specific purpose and then relatively quickly disbanded once that purpose is fulfilled. I would not care to see them hang around indefinitely.