Author Topic: REJECTED: Show True CS not Apparent CS on friendly scout reports  (Read 2589 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Title: Show True CS not Apparent CS on friendly scout reports

Summary: Using the Modify Appearance option shows a different CS on scout reports to the true CS of a unit. While useful for confusing or deceiving enemies, it is less useful when it also deceives allies or your own military leaders. Yes, Generals and Marshals can see the true CS of their forces in the Army pages, but their allies can't, and even for your own leaders, it's easy to overlook or forget that one or more units have modified their appearance, especially if they don't tell you. Not to mention annoying to calculate when scout reports involves multiple armies and realms.

I propose that the Apparent CS only be shown when scouted by other, non-allied realms.

Benefits: Makes the Modify Appearance option more attractive to use, as there's no chance of your military leaders under or overestimating the strength of their own armies.

Possible Exploits: Can't think of any.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 06:54:49 PM by egamma »

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Scouts aren't going up to each unit and asking them, "Hey, how tough are your men?"

They're standing on a hill nearby, counting up men, and observing the apparent quality of their equipment.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Rejected.

One, scouts work like Tim posted. Allied scouts will be fooled. Same reason why you can also capture allied scouts.

Two, it would create yet another incentive for IC/OOC spying.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Well, can you at least make it so your own realm's scouts show the true CS? The Modify Appearance option seems pretty much useless otherwise, and at worst a detriment to your own realm.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Well, can you at least make it so your own realm's scouts show the true CS? The Modify Appearance option seems pretty much useless otherwise, and at worst a detriment to your own realm.

Scouts still don't work like that. Not your allies'. Not your realm's. Not even your own.

Not one single thing in what Tom or I has said is specific to "allies" as opposed to "realm-mates".
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile

"Knight Kepler! The state of your unit is unacceptable! Those swords are rusted! I know you make 300 gold every week, and I demand you spend that gold on a better unit!"

"Huh, yeah, sure thing Marshal!" *paints the swords with grey shiny paint and shuffles the gold to his family*
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Haha, you got me. ;)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I remember Marshal or General will usually ask those Knights in army to post up their men status, how many days unpaid, Combat Strength. And those messages will be send to only their army. Maybe this will help Velax to keep track of own realm army true  CS, rather than those scout reports.

Scouts are sometime unreliable, they sit lazying around. See link below.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Introduction/Scouts

Me, I think they maintain their own spy network, and when they say they're 'scouting', they're really just checking in with their spies and spending the rest of the day in the tavern. Lazy, overpaid bastards, the lot of 'em, even when they don't run off in the middle of a mission.

Uncle Freddie scowls at the thought. Clearly he and the scouts in his unit didn't get along well.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)