Author Topic: Can old folk home club is considered as clan?  (Read 20918 times)

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Can old folk home club is considered as clan?
« Topic Start: September 27, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »
Can I post question here instead of Question and Answer there?
Since it is closely related with this case.

Can old folk home club is considered as clan? Example, the old folk home club consists of all old players in a realm.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Re: Can old folk home club is considered as clan?
« Reply #1: September 27, 2012, 03:28:33 PM »
Can I post question here instead of Question and Answer there?
Since it is closely related with this case.

Can old folk home club is considered as clan? Example, the old folk home club consists of all old players in a realm.

What would make them a clan?

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 27, 2012, 06:56:26 PM »
If that club excluded others from playing and did much of their discussion OOC then I'd say yes. Though I doubt there would be any like that as the older players should be encouraging newer players to get involved.
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 27, 2012, 09:08:35 PM »
In my opinion (which is probably a minority opinion), if a group of older players has been in power a Very Long Time, and they show no evidence of active attempts to involve newer players, they're a de facto clan– passive exclusion is no better than active exclusion. This is especially the case if the only way you can "break into" their clan is by participation in some ludicrously odd behavior– like RPing your character as insanely sadistic or obsessed with chutney and tutus.

But, that said, I'm not in the majority on this one– I'm well aware that constant application of my definition of exclusivity would require us to break up almost any group of players that has consistently played together in different realms with different characters and achieved any significant level of power.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 27, 2012, 09:38:37 PM »
In my opinion (which is probably a minority opinion), if a group of older players has been in power a Very Long Time, and they show no evidence of active attempts to involve newer players, they're a de facto clan– passive exclusion is no better than active exclusion. This is especially the case if the only way you can "break into" their clan is by participation in some ludicrously odd behavior– like RPing your character as insanely sadistic or obsessed with chutney and tutus.

Well, hang on. I think you have to be careful, because there are multiple things going on here, and potential problems of definition.

First off, how do you determine whether a given player is on the inside or the outside of a given alleged clan? Is it only being allowed to hold positions? If so, then no clan can be very large. Is it just that they interact with the player in a non-belittling manner? I think this is particularly important to be clear on, because if you're going to label any group of characters who have been in power together in a certain realm for a while a clan, then...well, like you said, you're going to be seeing clans everywhere.

Second, I think that an important part of defining a clan must be intent. If you've got four Council members who are all dedicated to ensuring that no one else gets their own positions, but also all hate each other and wouldn't lift a finger to prevent someone else from getting one of the other seats, that's not a clan, even if the effect is that other people are excluded from the upper echelons of the realm.

Finally, you're clearly once again talking about the specific case of Outer Tilog. I can tell you with certainty that you don't have to roleplay your character as insane at all to be able to participate. I think you'd probably agree that if there's a clan in Outer Tilog, I'm part of it (despite the fact that I currently have no character there)—and the character I kept in Outer Tilog for longest (I think; if not, it's gotta be close) wasn't insane, sadistic, or particularly disturbed at all. She was pretty frustrated, and having some identity issues, but she didn't eat human flesh, she didn't get off on hurting people (including herself), and she did think that reading and having fun were good things.  The other thing she didn't do, however, was try to change Outer Tilog's nature. She didn't believe that just because all the people there were evil, she had to try and wreck everything they did, or rebel and take over, or anything like that.

So, if you want to play in Outer Tilog, then go ahead. Do it. The only restriction on your character's personality or RP is that they have to at least be able to tolerate the kind of atmosphere that you already know characterizes Outer Tilog.

Thinking you could do otherwise is like thinking you could rise to power in Riombara while being actively and vocally anti-Republic, or in Astrum while actively and openly trying to destroy Sanguis Astroism. It's just muleheaded stupidity.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 28, 2012, 04:42:42 AM »
I really feel like the original question has been asked and answered a half dozen times in the recent past, and we're not really going to cover much new ground here.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 28, 2012, 07:10:16 AM »
Thinking you could do otherwise is like thinking you could rise to power in Riombara while being actively and vocally anti-Republic,

Oh yeah, NOBODY has ever done that......

But yeah, I basically do think the golden oldies of BM should all be kicked out of our realms and forced to play with different people.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #7: September 28, 2012, 10:11:35 AM »

But yeah, I basically do think the golden oldies of BM should all be kicked out of our realms and forced to play with different people.

Agreed.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 28, 2012, 02:01:30 PM »
What would make them a clan?
Hmm, I can think of 2 things.

1) Exclude people from their IC messages half the time?

2) Secret society should not be mistaken as clan, eh no?
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

egamma

« Reply #9: September 28, 2012, 07:28:28 PM »
I don't think there's a rule that states you have to copy everyone on all letters. Otherwise, message groups, religions, guilds, and secret societies wouldn't exist.

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 29, 2012, 08:22:48 AM »

Well now whom is forcibly OOC excluding players ;)

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 29, 2012, 08:54:14 AM »
Well now whom is forcibly OOC excluding players ;)

.... huh?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 29, 2012, 04:05:16 PM »
Case-by-case.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: September 29, 2012, 05:13:17 PM »
.... huh?

I believe by saying 'I basically do think the golden oldies of BM should all be kicked out of our realms and forced to play with different people' he got out of it 'forcibly OOC excluding players' by way of forcing them to move.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 29, 2012, 07:28:31 PM »
I believe by saying 'I basically do think the golden oldies of BM should all be kicked out of our realms and forced to play with different people' he got out of it 'forcibly OOC excluding players' by way of forcing them to move.

Yeah... except it's the people with the greatest tendency to be exclusive that would be removed. And by breaking up those cliques, "total exclusivity" would decline.