Author Topic: Head of Religion Titles in All Signatures  (Read 29839 times)

Aldwoni

• Knight
    • View Profile
Head of Religion Titles in All Signatures
« Topic Start: April 01, 2011, 08:53:53 PM »
When I send a message in function as Elder priest, I get my function under my name, but when I get a reply back and send a message to the same character it changes to my function in the realm.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: title in message.
« Reply #1: April 01, 2011, 09:39:50 PM »
The signature is applied based on where you find the link to start the message. If you go from a guild or religion, it knows to use the guild/religion title.

However, once that message goes out and comes back, the game does not know that the message is a religious/guild message. All it sees is a message from Frank Kepler. How is it supposed to know that this is a religious message? That's why it defaults back to the generic realm titles. If you would like it to keep using the religious titles, you'll need to go back to the religion message options and start a new message from there.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Jeckyl

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 05, 2011, 01:27:07 PM »
Maybe an option to select which set of titles to use? Or maybe even, which titles to specifically include? On Dwilight, I used to RP a character that would list all his official titles from his religions, realm, and guilds. Given SMA, I think this would add to the flavour of Dwilight.

egamma

« Reply #3: April 05, 2011, 06:34:49 PM »
Maybe an option to select which set of titles to use? Or maybe even, which titles to specifically include? On Dwilight, I used to RP a character that would list all his official titles from his religions, realm, and guilds. Given SMA, I think this would add to the flavour of Dwilight.

I like this.
Perhaps a set of checkboxes, and the option to set a default set?

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #4: April 05, 2011, 06:37:02 PM »
Wasn't there something on the Dlist about titles, centered mostly around giving the religious title to everyone? I believe the outcome of that was something like "Anyone not in the religion doesn't care what they want to call themselves", although in present-day we do pay attention to religious titles. We also pay attention to "guild" titles somewhat as well, as in, CEO of WonderBusiness. But I don't recall how the original thread went.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #5: April 05, 2011, 10:36:37 PM »
While some outside the religion might not care, others would.  A pagan lord would probably pay more attention to a bishop or archbishop's mail than a common lay priest.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 05, 2011, 11:53:37 PM »
I totally agree. Actually I just thought about the checkboxes too, independently from this thread :)

It would just be very handy to, for instance, gain new members for your guild. If you mesage someone you would like to recruit, he cannot see your guild rank until he's actually joined.

And another thing:

"send to ... one of your contacts". It's useful in some cases, but often I want to send 1 letter to several people I know (for instance to friends across a continent), and I end up copy-pasting the letter several times. Is this intentional? Because it kind of breaks the atmosphere.

Why not add 'send to some of your contacts'?

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #7: April 06, 2011, 07:24:27 PM »
While some outside the religion might not care, others would.  A pagan lord would probably pay more attention to a bishop or archbishop's mail than a common lay priest.

That's why there are elder priests and normal priests, the former of which have more options and can be clearly differentiated.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #8: April 06, 2011, 09:38:44 PM »
That's why there are elder priests and normal priests, the former of which have more options and can be clearly differentiated.
Two of my characters are elder priests.  Neither of them show up any different than non-elder priests in messages.  So either you're thinking of something else or you're mistaken.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #9: April 06, 2011, 09:51:56 PM »
Two of my characters are elder priests.  Neither of them show up any different than non-elder priests in messages.  So either you're thinking of something else or you're mistaken.

Who said it had to be only in messages that the difference is clear to outsiders?

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 08, 2011, 10:27:59 AM »
Please elaborate what you mean by that sentence, as to me, it makes absolutely no sense.
He's saying the entire point of this thread is about religious titles appearing in messages, so referring to how elder priests may appear different outside of messages is not all that relevant.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #11: April 08, 2011, 11:26:13 AM »

By following those statements, Draco Tanos opened up the deviation to the clear distinction between elder priests and normal priests. By the original reply he gave, he is asserting that an elder priest would have more clout than a regular priest, albeit he is limiting his scope to messages alone. By my next reply, I say that such is indeed the case, but I never stated nor implied that it was through messages, merely that elder priests can be differentiated from normal priests already in our current system. And why should it only be through messages? We do not recognize those who are famous or high-ranking simply from contacts alone.

The fact that Draco Tanos assumed I was talking about messages is not my problem. And I think it is quite relevant to know that elder priests can be distinguished even now, because that does factor into the consideration of whether we want religious titles outside the religion.

As the system currently stands, one can see a renowned priest to invite for sermons, and one can figure out who is an elder priest if and when he takes over a region through religion. To have titles outside the religion would open the gates for some religion to fill the entire list of ranks, and if it grows large enough, we'll see some strange titles for every priest. What would the average lord who is not at all interested in the religion say about some priest with the title "Grand Chalupa"? I doubt he'd go up and say "Excuse me, but what's your rank in your religion? I have to ascertain that you are worth my time."

Ah, but wait, we already have a system to find out whether priests are "worth our time". It's called the invite priest action, in which a renowned priest can be invited for private sermon. If you're really that interested about his title in the religion, ask him. Obviously if you've invited him for a private sermon, that's the best time to do it.

Egamma edit: removed off-topic content.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 07:46:00 AM by egamma »

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #12: April 09, 2011, 11:49:16 AM »
Ok, I'll put it straight to you: At least come up with some actual argument as to why my line of reasoning is incorrect. Quoting things shows you know how to quote. Now show what you think, other than "Hah, u dont read either!!" because I can interpret Indirik's message as relative to how the game knows what is a religious message. It goes into mechanics territory, and when considering changes to mechanics we should consider all aspects that directly relate to the mechanic we seek to change. Alterations would not necessarily only affect message appearances. For example, right now there is a need to ask, or to invite. It engenders possible personal relations. Having the title out there, especially weird ones, when one might very well be disinterested in the entire religion can cause conflicts unnecessarily and affect first impressions.

For example if the Church of Living Light has as its elder the Priest of Fresh human Blood, at first glance many characters will withdraw in terror. Less will approach initially than if only the more neutral sounding religion name was given.

Now, I've given a little more of my reasoning. Point out the flaws and more importantly how and why they are flawed. 

Aldwoni

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: April 10, 2011, 10:30:09 PM »

Even if an elder priest sends his message to another elder or priest?

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: May 13, 2011, 10:34:37 AM »
+1 for the checkboxes!  ;D
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm