Author Topic: Head of Religion Titles in All Signatures  (Read 30294 times)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: Head of Religion Titles in All Signatures
« Reply #30: October 14, 2012, 05:33:24 AM »
Honestly, all Elder ranks would make sense.  Because I can't imagine Bishop Bob or Paladin Primus Pete wouldn't include the title in their massive sigs.

Indeed. This seems quite nice, improving the RP atmosphere.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: October 14, 2012, 05:36:39 AM »
What if the "head" of the religion doesn't want it?

What if the highest ranking guy isn't the active leader?

What if there are multiples at the highest rank?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: October 14, 2012, 05:54:57 AM »

1. Give an example of a reason they wouldn't want it shown.

2. He shouldn't be the highest ranking guy or go with the all elders option so its guaranteed the active leader is showed.

3. Every person with the highest rank gets the title for their signature, its called being co-leader which is why they both have the title.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: October 14, 2012, 05:58:50 AM »

To add to Penchant's argument:

What if a Duke doesn't want to sign with the title of duke? We're nobles, signing with your titles is natural. The fact that "Priest of (Insert religion here)" already exists, I don't think this a valid argument, seeing as the title of priest might not even fit into the hierarchy of the person's religion and is equally not a choice.

Then make it for all the elders. Honestly, I believe most, if not all religions have the highest rank as the leader.

Then have both signed, since they would be co-leaders, or have all the elders have a signature, as mentioned and supported above.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 06:01:39 AM by Arundel »
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: October 14, 2012, 06:48:16 AM »
no one outside of a religion has a clue what religious titles mean and you can have 10 (11?) of those elder ones per religion... unless you mean generic title.. like "Elder of U"
firefox

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: October 14, 2012, 06:51:33 AM »
no one outside of a religion has a clue what religious titles mean and you can have 10 (11?) of those elder ones per religion... unless you mean generic title.. like "Elder of U"
I believe what is being suggested is if its just for person/people with highest rank's title of their religion. Ex. Spiritual Father of Evgenism

Edit: Short version of what I previously typed but got deleted; its not about what the elder position is but the fact that it shows they are elder without being bland, like realm council could be always ruler, judge, banker, and general but the names are custimimizable so its not bland and fits to the realm; if there are many elders of the religion that will almost always mean its a larger religion which then makes sense for their to be many elders being represented so its not overkill.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 07:08:26 AM by Penchant »
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

egamma

« Reply #36: October 14, 2012, 07:51:28 AM »
I found the original feature request and combined them. Indirik, I do not see where it was rejected in that other thread, although a quoted d-list posting (which is no longer accessible) makes the point that people outside the religion don't care.

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: October 14, 2012, 08:39:43 AM »
I found the original feature request and combined them. Indirik, I do not see where it was rejected in that other thread, although a quoted d-list posting (which is no longer accessible) makes the point that people outside the religion don't care.

I don't believe that's a sufficient reason for a noble not to sign his own titles. I also think that everyone who is part of the religion, in addition to potential converts and high ranking members - both political and religious - would take interest if the letter was signed with their religious title.

Also, a reverse argument, why sign King of Bobland in a religious letter? Why does it matter? Do you think people from another realm care? If you say yes on the principle that they are a King and significant authority, the same argument can be made for a religious leader and elders. If we don't give religious authority the same kind of extensions as secular authority - even in small things like signing letters - then the religious game will always be that much more insignificant.
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #38: October 14, 2012, 08:48:24 AM »
I'm looking for a "Like" option for your post, Arundel.  Sadly, forums don't have it. D:

Seriously though, I've been in favor of this for awhile.  While non-followers won't care, the followers and the writer WOULD care because historically and therefore ICly, faith was frequently more important than anything else.  There were rebellions because the Church excommunicated a nobleman after all, for their word was no longer backed by any sort of Divine Right.

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: October 14, 2012, 09:32:22 AM »
Draco, I think you may be right. I tried looking for that like button, but I can't find it either.

But I don't think non-followers won't care to the extent we're talking. They may not care in a positive way, but what about the negative emotions? Intrigue, conflict, and so on can also spark from knowledge that should be made available. Nobles flaunted their power and titles, always, as it was a symbol of superiority for that person and their family. They made friends and enemies because of it, and I think that opportunity should be made accessible for the religious game.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #40: October 14, 2012, 12:12:26 PM »
You can make the same argument for guild elders. And then you run into the problem of people having 20 titles.

That's not an issue with religions, but I'm not really sure if restricting it to religions really is the answer.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: October 14, 2012, 12:15:22 PM »
So long as the religion game is treated as decidedly inferior to the rest of the game, nobody outside of hardcore RPers or priests will give it the light of day.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #42: October 14, 2012, 12:22:20 PM »
Tom, that's the thing.  Guilds weren't really that major for noblility during the middle ages.  They were typically for commoners.  Many were or became well-to-do commoners, but still tended to not be nobility.  Though I will admit that many of us use them for other purposes where the game does not quite give us easy sway otherwise (alliances, religious knightly orders, etc).

Religion though?  That was a major part of everyone's everyday life.  Being a leader of the stonecutters' guild?  Not usually concerning unless you'd have to deal with them for some reason.  Religious leaders?  I'm pretty sure even the pagan tribes of Germany tended to know who the nearby Bishops were.  They might not have liked them, they may have even HATED them, but they knew who they were.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #43: October 14, 2012, 12:27:04 PM »
So long as the religion game is treated as decidedly inferior to the rest of the game, nobody outside of hardcore RPers or priests will give it the light of day.

It is meant to be optional.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: October 14, 2012, 12:34:57 PM »
It is meant to be optional.

They can be parallel to the main game while still being equal to it.

If religion is going to exist with actual ingame mechanics, some strength behind those mechanics should exist. Being the head of a major religion should be considered equal to being a king. Right now, religion is pointless, and stuff like this basically just mocks it. Why the hell would you join a religion if all it's going to do is take your cash and time, when you don't even get a cool title out of gaining influence within it, let alone any tangible benefits?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre