Author Topic: Encouraging more evenly matched battles  (Read 2619 times)

Zakilevo

Encouraging more evenly matched battles
« Topic Start: October 05, 2012, 08:02:26 AM »
I think one of the things that actually made me stick around longer this time was evenly matched battles. It was of course frustrating to wait for those battles to happen but also made me excited for hours while waiting for turn changes.

I am wondering if there is anything we can do to encourage people to fight more evenly matched battles. I know the game already awards more honour and prestige but is there anything more can be done about it?

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Encouraging more evenly matched battles
« Reply #1: October 05, 2012, 08:18:43 AM »
Perhaps the converse? Even smaller H/P boosts when you are ganking an enemy. After all, how honorable is it, and how much prestige should you really get for a battle that the outcome has already been decided?

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 05, 2012, 08:30:38 AM »
isn't that already the case?
firefox

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 05, 2012, 09:48:52 AM »
More than 'promote' evenly battles, I think would be more 'logical' promote some way to make battles outcome more varied... as giving more importance to the generals and marshals!

Some time ago I made a Feature Request about this question... I don't know if it was accepted, or rejected... Probably too much work?

http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,2925.0.html

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 05, 2012, 10:28:55 AM »
I don't think any sane general/marshal would give up an advantage in numbers to have a even battle to gain more h/p.

This is not something game mechanics can fix. This is something players should, keeping in mind we're playing bm to have fun. Sometimes picking the weak side in a war would make everything insanely more fun for every player on the island, but it seems no one ever thinks of it.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: October 05, 2012, 10:45:40 AM »
The spectrum isn't just even-matched or roflstomp. There's lots of room inbetween.

True, no sane general would give up superior numbers for a bit of prestige. However, no sane general would set an army in motion to stomp a single unit.

Somewhere in there, we can find happiness. A not-quite-even battle is also fun, because with proper strategy and a bit of luck you just might be able to win it.

We could improve some retreat code or something to allow people to withdraw from battles they have no chance of winning.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 06, 2012, 01:45:34 AM »
We could improve some retreat code or something to allow people to withdraw from battles they have no chance of winning.
I dislike this because that's what evasive settings are for. It's likely at an entire army can't evade but they shouldn't be able to while a single unit has a decent chance of evading. And if the proposed retreat is retreating to a different region,  the player should be retreating by traveling to a different region manually not by some mechanic.

"Rolfstomp" isn't always the most fun but as realms like CE should be able to rolfstomp a realm like current Carelia without some serious work done by Carelia and allies. Also that's merely an example as that won't be happening (any time soon at least).
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton