Author Topic: The Marrocidenian war  (Read 546331 times)

Lanyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The Marrocidenian war
« Reply #30: October 10, 2012, 12:17:52 AM »
Infantry are more reliable especially when you have as much high quality infantry as Aurvandil is. An archer army may get lucky and beat them in one battle but it's a flip of the coin whether they are any good or not. I think, unless someone get's  just an unbelievable cav center or two that very few other compositions could beat the infantry mass. Look what the Romans did with elite infantry and all their other units being pretty mediocre.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: October 10, 2012, 12:22:03 AM »
Infantry are more reliable especially when you have as much high quality infantry as Aurvandil is. An archer army may get lucky and beat them in one battle but it's a flip of the coin whether they are any good or not. I think, unless someone get's  just an unbelievable cav center or two that very few other compositions could beat the infantry mass. Look what the Romans did with elite infantry and all their other units being pretty mediocre.

I'd also tend to say that the bits of cavalry and archers are much more effective in an infantry-heavy army than in any other composition.

Archers can get a few good shots, but they get totally pwnt once in melee.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: October 10, 2012, 12:34:30 AM »
Actually, this was a thread about the Maroccidental war.

So... how 'bout Paisly?

I guess both sides now are racing for their refits?

Sorry, but this is about the Marrocidenian war. Please stay on topic.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: October 10, 2012, 12:36:13 AM »
Well seeing Aurvandil expand into my old regions sure reactivated Machiavel.

Boy did lots happen during my honeymoon.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Zakilevo

« Reply #34: October 10, 2012, 12:45:06 AM »
I'd also tend to say that the bits of cavalry and archers are much more effective in an infantry-heavy army than in any other composition.

Archers can get a few good shots, but they get totally pwnt once in melee.

That is why you don't put them all in the same line when you only have archers like I did. You will get slaughtered all together.

Mass infantry in BM is reliable and good because they are the most cost efficient unit type in game.

Long ranged SF units can easily destroy them as long as the front line holds though. Range 5 units are awesome.

Zakilevo

« Reply #35: October 10, 2012, 12:45:55 AM »
So how much CS is Aurvandil bringing every time anyway?

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: October 10, 2012, 01:16:49 AM »
Indeed, if/when you spin off Paisly, that'll be a very interesting dynamic.

That said, I do think Aurvandil is overtrusting in infantry. In battles where the wind doesn't screw up the archers, we have inflicted substantively heavier casualties on you than you have on us. Admittedly, that weather factor does add a major risk element– but I can't help thinking that your lack of cav and much ranged power is gonna come back to bite you if we ever get in a situation with CS-parity.

It's the military culture in Aurvandil, we refuse to use Cavalry for some reason, and nobody wants to lead archers because their is little chivalry and honour in it. That said, we field a lot of our best ranged special forces and if Celtiberia didn't keep revolting we would consecutively fund an entire army to comprise of them, which would easily outdo our lack of archers because they're so powerful and well trained.

Our lack of cavalry and archers is already biting us, but we're very cavalier about it.

Egamma: removed Glaumring comment at his request.

I use Sanguis Astroism in the north as an example of what I should do in reverse in the south. Conquer territory, set up as many free realms as possible and balkanise things. The north is already deadlocked in perpetual peace and alliance where everyone answers to the church and as a result have absolutely nothing to do but sit and count gold as if it's some kind of achievement, God knows how they managed to keep any nobles when they barely do anything in years, and the only time they do anything is mass wars where they simply overwhelm their opponents by sheer numbers. Which is just boring for everyone, so we must make the south fun and interesting because that is the last free chunk of Dwilight where we can have fun.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 05:57:53 AM by egamma »

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: October 10, 2012, 01:18:32 AM »
So how much CS is Aurvandil bringing every time anyway?

We usually field about 33-36KCS mobile but we leave a large chunk of that behind to manage regions, in Paisland we only sent in about 20KCS because we left forces to run a take over in Celtiberia and manage control in Maeotis which we had just taken. But for the big battle in Maeotis we had about 35,000 CS though I don't know the figure adjusted for all the equipment damage and such we took on the march.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: October 10, 2012, 01:36:31 AM »
Indeed, if/when you spin off Paisly, that'll be a very interesting dynamic.

That said, I do think Aurvandil is overtrusting in infantry. In battles where the wind doesn't screw up the archers, we have inflicted substantively heavier casualties on you than you have on us. Admittedly, that weather factor does add a major risk element– but I can't help thinking that your lack of cav and much ranged power is gonna come back to bite you if we ever get in a situation with CS-parity.

If Terran had 50 nobles like Aurvandil does, it would be a completely different war. Aurvandil would be losing. Badly.

Egamma: removed Glaumring comment at his request.

and the only time they do anything is mass wars where they simply overwhelm their opponents by sheer numbers. Which is just boring for everyone,

Hm... interesting you would say that while simultaneously conquering the Maroccidens via your extreme numerical advantage.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 05:58:43 AM by egamma »
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

MediumTedium

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: October 10, 2012, 02:15:14 AM »
Never Compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.
"If you find you are falling into madness - dive."

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: October 10, 2012, 02:31:34 AM »
If Terran had 50 nobles like Aurvandil does, it would be a completely different war. Aurvandil would be losing. Badly.

Yeah that's cute but no.

Hm. So you hate big realms, huh? Hate Astrum cause they are soooo big, huh? Love Aurvandil, right? You realize Aurvandil has almost twice the nobles of Astrum? Yeah. What?

Are you trying to square up to me? It's almost like you're trying to pick a fight in the same way a chav would, obnoxiously shouting "Yeah, what?!" into some one's face. Yeah we get it, you hate Aurvandil because of an OOC grudge big whoop.

Hm... interesting you would say that while simultaneously conquering the Maroccidens via your extreme numerical advantage.

Quite, but the difference is, I set up free realms, and I conquer defensively as a reaction to the aggression of other realms.

Zakilevo

« Reply #41: October 10, 2012, 03:05:43 AM »
What do you care if they bore themselves?

Had you not went rambling like a madman, blundering into Kabrinskia, they'd never have even bothered themselves with you.

If the North sets themselves up in a way that bores them, it's their own problem. Otherwise, they must be doing something right if so many people remain there.

Mostly the church is keeping them busy. Senseless talks... Tournaments kept me occupied for a year then that got old when I realized it is almost impossible to reach 100% swordfighting as a noble :(

Gotta say, Southern realms do seem more energetic.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: October 10, 2012, 03:07:27 AM »
Mostly the church is keeping them busy. Senseless talks... Tournaments kept me occupied for a year then that got old when I realized it is almost impossible to reach 100% swordfighting as a noble :(

Gotta say, Southern realms do seem more energetic.

Depends what you want and when you join.

And what position you have when you get there, of course.

Of course, if "when" is right now, there are many wars going on.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: October 10, 2012, 03:07:37 AM »
Yeah that's cute but no.

Why not? It would be absolutely different. And if we had 50 nobles, we would own your infantry only army. Even with half the nobles you have we do some pretty substantial damage relative to what would be done if you all used normal army compositions. Now, maybe you would wise up and start using archers if we had 50 nobles. But if we kept the same army compositions, and had similar activity rates (big IF there), we would win most every battle.

Are you trying to square up to me? It's almost like you're trying to pick a fight in the same way a chav would, obnoxiously shouting "Yeah, what?!" into some one's face. Yeah we get it, you hate Aurvandil because of an OOC grudge big whoop.

Am I trying to square up to you? I don't really know what you mean. But that comment was direct at Glaumring and how dumb his reasoning was. I get he doesn't like Astrum for one reason or another, but likes Aurvandil. It simply doesn't make  sense that that reason would be "Astrum is big" because Aurvandil is a lot bigger.

Quite, but the difference is, I set up free realms, and I conquer defensively as a reaction to the aggression of other realms.

The Astrocracies don't set up free realms? Just because they are mostly allied with each other doesn't mean they aren't "free." They all do basically whatever they want individually.

You.. conquer... defensively?  :o
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 03:09:17 AM by Perth »
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: October 10, 2012, 03:26:27 AM »
The theocracies are not free. They fear.

So does Aurvandil, that's why they want to set up moar colonies.

And so does Luria. They've heard too many legends of the Krakken, D'Hara's flagship.