Author Topic: The Marrocidenian war  (Read 547444 times)

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
Re: The Marrocidenian war
« Reply #435: October 25, 2012, 07:04:36 PM »
Trust no one.

You can trust me! Please ignore the dagger I'm holding and please ignore the fact I am painting a bullseye on your back, its just how I say hello.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #436: October 25, 2012, 07:08:22 PM »
Welcome to the group.

Now trying dealing with that while fighting a politically high tensioned war alongside him. Phew.

"We are losing. We are winning. We are making peace with Kabrinskia. We signed a Cease Fire. WE ARE INVADING KABRINSKIA WOOOO. !@#$ we are losing. WE ARE TAKING ON THE WORLD!!! Why is everyone backing off of us diplomatically?"

You literally just described Glaumring in a sentence perfectly.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #437: October 25, 2012, 07:10:32 PM »
I change my mind according to what is going on on the ground, during that war I was talking to Kabrinskia,D'Hara, Terran , Aurvandiil, Morek, Corsanctum, Barca , my own nobles, random nobles , Astrum when they deigned a reply, the Zuma and myself. Sometimes things and ideas change so fast, one minute you see 26k of Terrans going to fight 13k Kabrinskians and you formulate 20 possible outcomes, then you see that army destroyed and you are back to square one. I cannot considering holding to a strategy diplomatically if I know it will fail. During the war our strategy stayed consistant, wage a defensive war of attrition, lose lands up north that were undefendable, send out raiding parties to slowly destroy the Kabrinskian economy , fight close to Asylon. What did people think? That we would march on Astrum , sit in Golden Farrow? We werent waging that type of war, we intended to hunker down and fight Astrum, the largest economy/army in dwilight, plus Kabrinskia in close proximity and fight them into a quagmire. The strategy worked but at what cost? Asylon is poor, over 50000 people died of starvation, our army was shattered, our lands damaged, our cities ransacked. Yet we survived. I proved all the naysayers wrong, that Asylon would fold, that Itau would fall that Astrum and ilk would destroy us, all proved wrong, we learned to fight our first war in BM ever since Dwilights founding I havent fought more than monsters and we felt it was time to make trouble and have fun. I proved that Asylonian nobles are strong and we work together against all odds, so yeah you can make fun of me, call me crazy, but it takes a lot of balls to do what I did and survive.

Well I don't think anyone was making fun of you, or at least I wasn't. Simply marvelling at Glaumring being Glaumring which is always an interesting thing to observe from an outsiders perspective.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #438: October 25, 2012, 07:37:26 PM »
It's not even that Dwilight looks AWFULLY SIMILAR TO WESTEROS put in front of a mirror:

Was this intentional? You just blew my mind.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #439: October 25, 2012, 07:43:41 PM »
I think the important thing to take away from this thread is that, on Dwilight, everybody lies to everyone.

Interestingly, Alanna has very, very rarely told untruths about anything of any real importance.

She is, however, really good at lying by omission, lying with the truth, and saying one thing that sounds kind of like another.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #440: October 25, 2012, 07:48:44 PM »
Rabisu's never lied, by omission or otherwise. Total naif.
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #441: October 25, 2012, 07:51:01 PM »
Rabisu's never lied, by omission or otherwise. Total naif.

This is true, as far as I know. Rabisu deserves a pass. Everyone else on Dwilight though, used car salespeople to the core. Malus included. He's never explicitly lied, but I'm also very careful in what I choose to have him comment on to maintain that claim.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #442: October 25, 2012, 07:54:57 PM »
Was this intentional? You just blew my mind.

Not sure. Darfix or Gias Kay Lee (that's right—Darfix and GiasK, like the cities) developed the map. It's an awesome coincidence if not intentional.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #443: October 25, 2012, 07:56:32 PM »
Yes I sort of mentioned it to Machiavel and Rynn that I didn't know why they were so ... bothered about Paisly and neither of them went into as much detail as you did. As Mendicant said, well he'll always be ignorant if his opponents won't offer him their perspective when asked.

The Treaty of the Maroccidens, which I think you have read given you've referenced it before, establishes Chesney, Paisly, and Rettleville as specially vital interests to all three realms. For practical purposes, any occupation of Paisly, Rettleville, or Chesney is an occupation of Barca, D'Hara, and Terran. Aurvandil happens to have hit two of those and made threats at the third– you don't win over the Moot by attacking the only three specific regions our founding document identifies as foundational to the existence of our culture.

Regarding realm stats page colors: I do hope people realize that was a joke. Though it is always unsettling to see the Big Blob of White on the dynamic map.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #444: October 25, 2012, 07:56:51 PM »
Highly doubt it. The map was pieced together by copy pasting slices of the other maps together. How hard would it be to make Westeros from that...
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Feylonis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #445: October 25, 2012, 08:12:17 PM »
I honestly just want Asylon to resume war with Kabrinskia. Pls pls pls.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #446: October 25, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
I think the important thing to take away from this thread is that, on Dwilight, everybody lies to everyone.

Pfffh. Truth is overrated.

If it were so important, there would be a Star of Truth, wouldn't there? Case closed.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #447: October 25, 2012, 10:56:29 PM »
Regarding realm stats page colors: I do hope people realize that was a joke. Though it is always unsettling to see the Big Blob of White on the dynamic map.

I was asking strictly from a mechanics angle. When Solaria seceded from Pian en Luries, it was the first, or one of the first, realms to do it after the new political model and estate system went live. It inherited a lot of crap from PeL and some of it was unintentional.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #448: October 25, 2012, 11:59:05 PM »
This is not even true. You do realize that we were waiting for everyone to arrive, right? You do realize that not ever single Astroist realm shipped their troops off on the same day, to arrive on the same day? No, it was a constant trickle of arrivals all the way up until the day we marched. We knew exactly what our goal was from day 1, it's pretty straightforward. It had nothing to do with trying "to figure out what was going on."

Sheesh.

That isn't how the chatter from the SAers is sounding.  I've heard from a few nobles in different realms complaining about Terrans military and how it is unorganized and how they were waiting for Terran.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #449: October 26, 2012, 12:11:14 AM »
Yes I sort of mentioned it to Machiavel and Rynn that I didn't know why they were so ... bothered about Paisly and neither of them went into as much detail as you did. As Mendicant said, well he'll always be ignorant if his opponents won't offer him their perspective when asked.

Paisly also had additional meaning to D'Hara, because it's our foothold on the western continent for our traders (we told you as much). That it's the duchy of D'Hara's longest-serving noble and one of its most influenceful figures also plays a role: Machiavel wants his duchy back.

But really, if there's one thing that D'Hara has been ALWAYS struggling for, it's defending her sovereignty. Since day one, we've been threatened on all sides by factions who covet what we have. And we have always made it clear to everyone, including Mendicant, that what we value most is our Sovereignty. And here you go putting a new realm in our lands.

And you withdrew your offer to give back Paisly to Rynn. You decided that you'd rather create a 3-noble realm instead, despite how clearly it was stated we wouldn't stand for it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 12:42:48 AM by Chénier »
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron