Author Topic: "Freeman" means nothing?  (Read 16519 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
"Freeman" means nothing?
« Topic Start: November 06, 2012, 03:13:35 AM »
When an Advy first starts out, he's an Outlaw and can be executed by any realm at will. But I was under the impression that once an Advy had earned enough Honour/Prestige/Whatever, he becomes a Freeman and can no longer be immediately executed. He must first be banned and then executed. But the dev responses to this bug report would seem to indicate otherwise:

http://bugs.battlemaster.org/view.php?id=7417

So, Freeman can be executed without needing a ban?

egamma

Re: "Freeman" means nothing?
« Reply #1: November 06, 2012, 05:17:42 AM »
I think freeman means he's no longer auto-banned for leaving his starting realm.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 06, 2012, 05:33:39 AM »
No, I have a Freeman Advy, and he's still auto-banned every time he leaves a realm.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 06, 2012, 01:31:07 PM »
Just flavour, as far as I know.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 06, 2012, 01:38:27 PM »
When an Advy first starts out, he's an Outlaw and can be executed by any realm at will. But I was under the impression that once an Advy had earned enough Honour/Prestige/Whatever, he becomes a Freeman and can no longer be immediately executed. He must first be banned and then executed.

That's my recollection as well from the time Adventurers were first added. But that is a very long way back. Checking the Wiki, it seems this was indeed at least claimed to work like so. It was removed in July 2008 though, so it has been like the current situation for a very long time, it appears.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 06, 2012, 02:44:28 PM »
Wow. Before this, Freeman having to be banned first was a hard fact in my mind. Guess you never know as much as you think you do.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 06, 2012, 03:14:39 PM »
Just flavour, as far as I know.

Well, a freeman with three recommendations can be recognized as being of Noble rank. An outlaw with three recommendations can be recognized as being from a noble family and unlock access to the warrior class, but technically he's still an outlaw.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 06, 2012, 03:16:42 PM »
Well, a freeman with three recommendations can be recognized as being of Noble rank. An outlaw with three recommendations can be recognized as being from a noble family and unlock access to the warrior class, but technically he's still an outlaw.

Doesn't make him less a noble.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 06, 2012, 03:22:39 PM »
Doesn't make him less a noble.

But it does make him still executable without a ban. And his signature will say Kepler of the Kepler Family (Outlaw).
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Hyral

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: November 06, 2012, 03:35:12 PM »
Wow. Before this, Freeman having to be banned first was a hard fact in my mind.

Same here. I can't tell you how many newbies have asked me that question...I've become one of those people who spread bad information  :'(

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #10: November 06, 2012, 03:39:04 PM »
But it does make him still executable without a ban. And his signature will say Kepler of the Kepler Family (Outlaw).

Eh... I'm fairly sure it does not make him executable without a ban if he changed to warrior class.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: November 06, 2012, 03:39:36 PM »
Eh... I'm fairly sure it does not make him executable without a ban if he changed to warrior class.

Outlaw nobles can be executed without a ban.
Timothy Collett

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 06, 2012, 03:46:44 PM »
So was this ever true? Back in 2008 before the Wiki was changed, maybe?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: November 06, 2012, 04:01:37 PM »
So was this ever true? Back in 2008 before the Wiki was changed, maybe?

I'm not sure. I once thought it was true, too, and vaguely remembered some evidence to that effect, but at this point I can't say one way or the other (without going through the code history).
Timothy Collett

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #14: November 06, 2012, 05:27:33 PM »
Outlaw nobles can be executed without a ban.

Ah... right. :)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.