Author Topic: Sorraine vs. Ohnar West  (Read 54401 times)

Broose

• Knight
    • View Profile
Sorraine vs. Ohnar West
« Topic Start: November 15, 2012, 05:49:35 AM »
To keep discussion in the right place.

Sorraine is about to declare war on Ohnar West, for those who haven't heard. Meanwhile, a lord from Ohnar just switched over to Arcaea's new colony, Coralynth.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Sorraine vs. Ohnar West
« Reply #1: November 15, 2012, 05:57:26 AM »
Oh man, I've been waiting for this opportunity for years.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 15, 2012, 05:59:25 AM »
Yes. Yes, you have. I still remember your tirades to Velax about the useless, unreliable Ohnarians sabotaging the war effort against Arcachon, while it was you yourself who was doing the sabotage. Bastard. :P

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 15, 2012, 06:10:02 AM »
Me? Why, I never!

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 15, 2012, 08:55:45 AM »
Oh man, I've been waiting for this opportunity for years.

FEI needs more little realms and less blobs like Arcaea and Kindara  8)
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 15, 2012, 02:37:01 PM »
FEI needs more little realms and less blobs like Arcaea and Kindara  8)

Kindara isn't much of a blob, it's pretty equal to Cathay and PoZ. Anyway, I agree with you but FEI isn't really build for tons of realms with the large regions and relatively small number of cities.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 15, 2012, 02:48:43 PM »
FEI needs more little realms and less blobs like Arcaea and Kindara

Cathay and Kindara have the same number of regions now. And if Sorraine kills off Ohnar West, then you've added Sorraine to the list of blobs. Their region count is already only two off from ours and folding any new regions into their realm would either equal us or surpass us making them the second largest realm by region count.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 15, 2012, 03:17:16 PM »
I remember from Lasanar's days that its cities, and most Northern cities with the exception of Topenah and  Remton, were a good 15-20% poorer than the great southern cities. I still remember the first time we were thinking about war with Antoza and I looked at Anacan and went 'wtfbbq' and from that day on, Galiard became a warhawk.

Ozrat and Ossaet are two of the poorest cities on the continent. Akanos is pretty decent and Sasrhas seems to have been bumped up since the days of Duke Iceberg Slim.

My predictions are that Sorraine will over-play its hand, though perhaps not for a while, and that Arcaea will have a hard time keeping Coralynth as loyal as it would like.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 15, 2012, 06:16:54 PM »
Honestly I'm not a fan of the current OW, but Sorraine and Coralynth declaring war on us is utter bull!@#$. They have zero reason for war, that is zero solid reason that isn't out-of-the-blue. I remember when rulers were enforced by the honor code to only declare war if they had a worthy explanation for their hostility. Now it's just on a whim. Uhg. I know it's BATTLEmaster but some player's don't seem to know the limits of what's fun and acceptable.

My little rant. I'm done. Come to Sasrhas so I can stab you a couple dozen times.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: November 15, 2012, 06:20:57 PM »
I remember when rulers were enforced by the honor code to only declare war if they had a worthy explanation for their hostility.

Enforced by whom? 'the honor code' is hardly chiseled into a stone tablet, and even when it is, political reality and chivalry rarely go together. Ohnar did screw up in letting Melehan sell food to Kindara. 'The honor code' could very easily be read to say that the realm should banish him. That has nothing to do with Sorraine but it reinforced the long-held idea of Ohnar West as a nest of vipers, even if Ingall has done a surprisingly good job in earning some goodwill.

I also haven't heard any realm accept Sorraine's casus bellus as legitimate. Sorraine is making a considerable gamble in banking on nobody caring enough about Ohnar to do anything about it. The question is whether Ohnar can capitalize on that in a meaningful way.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: November 15, 2012, 06:30:38 PM »
There IS a honor code, but such things need to be enforced by Realms / Nobility. Sorraine is pretty honest about just wanting Ohnar West's lands and they are banking on Ohnar West's reputation being bad enough to be able to get away with it. And they found the reason to actually go after OW with Melehan's letter.

Time will tell, but Ohnar West needs to do some serious diplomacy.

Broose

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: November 15, 2012, 06:35:12 PM »
Honestly I'm not a fan of the current OW, but Sorraine and Coralynth declaring war on us is utter bull!@#$. They have zero reason for war, that is zero solid reason that isn't out-of-the-blue. I remember when rulers were enforced by the honor code to only declare war if they had a worthy explanation for their hostility. Now it's just on a whim. Uhg. I know it's BATTLEmaster but some player's don't seem to know the limits of what's fun and acceptable.

My little rant. I'm done. Come to Sasrhas so I can stab you a couple dozen times.

You're bringing an in-game issue out of the game. Everyone knows the reason for war is flimsy, but Mathilda thinks she can get away with it.

There's at least one realm that already wants to invade Sorraine. Instead of complaining on the forums, you could get them on your side.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 15, 2012, 06:56:15 PM »
Did Mathilda mention anything about the Way of the Dragon's followers attacking Sartanian priests? That's another reason that was mentioned.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: November 15, 2012, 07:00:20 PM »
Actually, he's talking about a not-really-ever-enforced rule that was in place back when the FEI was first opened, when it was still officially considered a "roleplay continent."

The idea was to make sure that, among other things, people didn't declare war just for game-mechanic reasons or "because we (the players) want to have some fun".

Like the rest of the "RP continent" trappings, it was abandoned because enforcement would be difficult at best, and would, effectively, require a "roleplay council" sitting in judgement over the RP lines of everyone on the continent.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: November 15, 2012, 07:18:07 PM »
I think Sorraine's reason for going to war is perfectly legitimate. An Ohnarian betrayed the Northern Alliance and sabotaged the war effort against Kindara, and when discovered, the ruler refused to punish him adequately. I don't think Ohnar deserve to get destroyed for it, but wars have been started over much less.