Author Topic: Unwarranted OOC insult  (Read 15893 times)

BattleMaster Server

Unwarranted OOC insult
« Topic Start: February 16, 2013, 07:47:36 PM »
Summary:Unwarranted OOC insult
Violation:Do not insult or harrass other players
World:Dwilight
Complainer:Kyle Douglass
About:Kiyth

Full Complaint Text:
Letter from Kiyth Ilyrians   (14 hours, 44 minutes ago)

yep totally worth it. because quite frankly you are a douche of a player as well.

Kiyth Ilyrians

Margrave of Flow

[reply to sender] | [ignore] | [userdetails] | [vulgarity]

----------

I believe that speaks quite clearly for itself. I presume it was meant to be an OOC letter, but came in character.

The Knight of Ni

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Re: Unwarranted OOC insult
« Reply #1: February 16, 2013, 08:37:45 PM »
In no way was the unwarranted. Kyle has been harrassing players both IC and OOC, and he needed to be told. Yes I will admit I accidentily didn't change it to OOC message type, but in that type of message it is usually common knowledge.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 16, 2013, 08:40:24 PM »
In no way was the unwarranted. Kyle has been harrassing players both IC and OOC, and he needed to be told. Yes I will admit I accidentily didn't change it to OOC message type, but in that type of message it is usually common knowledge.

OOC insults are never warranted in BattleMaster.

If "he needed to be told," then what needed to be said was, "Kyle, your harassment of players, both IC and OOC, is getting to be too much, and it needs to stop."

That wasn't what you said. All you did was insult him. And "he started it" is not a valid defense.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 16, 2013, 09:16:07 PM »
My 'harassments' are retaliation for assaults already received. I have not insulted any player directly at all, regardless of how I feel towards them OOC. I have made statements relating my disgust with this !@#$ situation, but I have not been so rude as to call someone that I hardly speak to 'a douche'.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 17, 2013, 01:59:54 AM »
The first line of recourse for these conflicts is to be adults and work it out for yourself.

To me, from what I have heard from many sources, it looks like the players in Swordfell cannot, collectively, behave like adults concerning their disputes.

So ANY insults occurring any time recently have really only one remaining recourse (again, given that simply trying to get along doesn't seem to be working for ya'll): the Magistrates.

If Kyle has been being insulting or violated the Social Contract in any way– he should be reported to the magistrates. Sending OOC insults to players is not a solution to OOC insults.

This seems very clear to me as a violation of the social contract.

That doesn't mean that accusations about Kyle's behavior are necessarily wrong: if somebody wants to bring any of his statements or actions up in a separate case, they can if they feel it is necessary.

But definitely this is an SC violation.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 17, 2013, 02:03:01 AM »
It does indeed seem like many players in Swordfell can't play together like adults...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 17, 2013, 02:26:12 AM »
I really dislike this complaint. Sure, it's inappropriate behavior to call other players names... but this is so childish. Seriously, imagine a bunch of players playing a board game, and one insults the other, so he calls the guy's wife or mom to make him apologize.

I have a really hard time determining if Kyle filed the complaint because he really feels like he's being bullied (which would justify magistrate intervention), or if he's just trying to take advantage of a player's lapse of judgement to get back at him by using the magistrates as a weapon.

Because seriously, this all sounds like "Mommy, mommy, he called me a 'douche'!"

Stuff is, apparently, seriously messed up in Swordfell right now. I'd need more than a simple out of context ooc letter to make an opinion on the topic. Because it seems like Kyle can't get along with many other players there, and in my book, vulgarity doesn't equate responsibility in player to player conflicts.

Although name-calling should never be done, I can't see myself voting for more than a warning unless a demonstration of bullying can be made.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: February 17, 2013, 02:32:35 AM »
He filed it because he was talking on another thread about how he felt he was being mistreated and I told him that, if he felt that way, he should file a Magistrate's report.

It's worth noting that he didn't call mommy, in your analogy: mommy called him and asked if everything was okay.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: February 17, 2013, 02:37:55 AM »
Yea, I know, I saw that message of yours.

And even if I accepted your interpretation (which fails to convince me), it's still bringing in mommy over name-calling disputes, no matter who initiated contact.

What Swordfell needs is for its players to grow up, not for Magistrates to start playing mommy and to spank whoever is caught saying dirty words.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: February 17, 2013, 02:41:23 AM »
+1
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

« Reply #10: February 17, 2013, 02:51:49 AM »
It's really sad that the players have to result to OOC insults. There's no reason for them. It's A GAME, people. If you don't like who you are playing with, either get them to leave (by bans or whatever), or you can leave, or you can use that nifty "ignore" link that is at the bottom of EVERY SINGLE MESSAGE. It's there for a reason.

In any case, it does seem like a pretty clear Social Contract violation. Whether the other players report Wolfey for the same thing is immaterial to this case; as someone said, we're all adults here, and each player can take responsibility for their own actions, and be judged accordingly.

The Knight of Ni

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: February 17, 2013, 02:53:56 AM »
Out-of-Character from Sevastian Guile   (23 hours, 50 minutes ago)
Really? Was it worth writing the whole realm for your personal quip of 'wit'? Jesus, I am seriously disgusted with the Ooc bull!@#$ from people like you in this realm.

That was the post I was replying to. This was after Bowie got appointed Lord of Alley of Swords and I said OOC "that if I could I would like that appointment" because this feud between Bowie and Sevastian is really funny to watch and occasional put a word in on the side.
Yes Swordfell has been being mean to Sevastian and bullying him. Mostly IC and that's because he tried to take over. I can post a few more OOC letters from him that based on his standards of this message to him being offensive he would find offensive as well, but I don't want to have him locked or anything like that because I do enjoy the political struggle he brings into our realm.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: February 17, 2013, 03:02:09 AM »
So, who's gonna be the bigger man, and just let all this OOC crap go? Dwilight is supposed to be the "Serious" island, not the "Seriously OOC" island. People have been bolted in the past for excessive OOC messaging. If you're getting more than one a week, you're getting way too many.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

« Reply #13: February 17, 2013, 03:04:06 AM »
Out-of-Character from Sevastian Guile   (23 hours, 50 minutes ago)
Really? Was it worth writing the whole realm for your personal quip of 'wit'? Jesus, I am seriously disgusted with the Ooc bull!@#$ from people like you in this realm.

That was the post I was replying to. This was after Bowie got appointed Lord of Alley of Swords and I said OOC "that if I could I would like that appointment" because this feud between Bowie and Sevastian is really funny to watch and occasional put a word in on the side.
Yes Swordfell has been being mean to Sevastian and bullying him. Mostly IC and that's because he tried to take over. I can post a few more OOC letters from him that based on his standards of this message to him being offensive he would find offensive as well, but I don't want to have him locked or anything like that because I do enjoy the political struggle he brings into our realm.

Is this relevant to the case against Kiyth? If not, it shouldn't be here.

And it seems to me that there's entirely too much OOC chatter going on in Swordfell. The only time I ever use OOC on Dwilight is:
1. to explain a game mechanic (IE, "go to the politics tab, then click estates")
2. talk about a bug (which are inherently OOC)
3. tell people that I'll be away for a few days

I think the whole realm of Swordfell needs to review the SMA page.

The Knight of Ni

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: February 17, 2013, 03:07:01 AM »
Oh yes I am the player of Kiyth sorry   :D
I was just explaining the context of the exchange.