Author Topic: Personal Roleplay Guidelines  (Read 8355 times)

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Personal Roleplay Guidelines
« Topic Start: February 26, 2013, 06:17:58 AM »
Having seen a few posts revolving around what some consider to be poor roleplays, I thought it would be interesting to discuss roleplay etiquette. The wiki provides a few examples but I am more interested in how various individuals approach it.

When receiving a roleplay I try to remember:
This is a game of communal story building. Others WILL contribute. I might no like all contributions but I will not take them personally either. It is just a game.

If I was not a part of the RP, my character knows nothing of it unless I take the time to produce a RP explaining how he gained that knowledge. Despite what others have suggested, I do not believe that a publically posted RP automatically makes the content of the RP public knowledge.

RPs, even those that seem to be iron tight and factual, are matters of perspective and can be undermined by a return RP. I have yet to see an exception to this.

When sending a roleplay I try to remember:
Roleplays should never contradict the game engine.

Do not RP the actions/thoughts/feelings/reactions of other PCs.

Do not change history.

Do not RP the actions/thoughts/feelings/reactions of the close and personal NPCs of other players.

It is fine to RP the actions of any other NPC as I see fit. Even the NPCs of another realm, religion or guild.

Write the RP as my characters perspective. This is especially important when dealing with other players perceived ‘turf’.

Have some player to player respect.

Select an appropriate audience and consider the characters and players on the receiving end.

The RP should be fun and grow the story. At best it should be Fun for me and many others. At worse it should be fun for me and acceptable to others.

Accept that some others will assume to know of a RP and try to use that knowledge to their benefit.

What guidelines do you all adhere to?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:21:29 PM by Unwin »

Eirikr

Re: Personal Roleplay Guidelines
« Reply #1: February 26, 2013, 06:56:05 AM »
Pretty much the same ones. You kinda hit the nail right on the head.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 26, 2013, 08:10:18 AM »
These are good.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #3: February 26, 2013, 11:49:41 AM »

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 26, 2013, 01:10:30 PM »
Don't RP any secret/controversial information even if your character is at the bottom of the sea thinking to himself. Someone will take that information and use it.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 26, 2013, 01:49:30 PM »
Don't RP any secret/controversial information even if your character is at the bottom of the sea thinking to himself. Someone will take that information and use it.

This is a poor behavior in any RPG. But I agree, people will use it and they don't care if you're thinking to himself, mainly in BM. I'm used to play with some players with the habit of using my character a bit while we do a RP. I don't like that, definitely. But when it is harmless, I don't see many problems. Battlemaster has many inexperienced players when it comes to making a RP together. They usually take some liberties with your character. Not a problem when he uses your character to describe him sitting in a chair, but in many other contexts it can bother a little.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 27, 2013, 02:32:56 AM »
For very simple things I do roleplay other player's characters if I am in a rush. Nothing important and I usually leave a little OOC tag stating they can feel free to re-roleplay the part with their character if they care to.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: February 27, 2013, 06:05:06 AM »

I certainly keep this in mind when posting role plays. It is not how I do business but it sometimes happens. When it does happen, oh well. The communal story took an unexpected turn. Time to role with it and make the best of it.  I will be certain, however, to be careful of what I RP when that character is a part of the audience in the future though.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: February 27, 2013, 06:09:03 AM »
BTW, I have been updating my original post to take some of the ideas presented here into consideration. I am surprised that no one seems to oppose any of the points I listed...

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: February 27, 2013, 06:10:33 AM »
For very simple things I do roleplay other player's characters if I am in a rush. Nothing important and I usually leave a little OOC tag stating they can feel free to re-roleplay the part with their character if they care to.

I have done the same in the past but always felt dirty afterwards. I try to be more patient now. Personal preference really. I am never bothered when some basic liberties are taken in a polite manner.

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: February 27, 2013, 01:51:03 PM »
It is fine to RP the actions of any other NPC as I see fit. Even the NPCs of another realm, religion or guild.

I don't agree. This must be consensual. In EC we have a war completely based on NPCs. However, when it involves more people and realms, a good agreement is necessary. I don't like to know someone out of my realm is roleplaying NPCs from Avamar as they saw fit without any previous talk with me. A question of respect, in my humble opinion.
Serpentis again!

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: February 27, 2013, 01:56:42 PM »
I don't agree. This must be consensual. In EC we have a war completely based on NPCs. However, when it involves more people and realms, a good agreement is necessary. I don't like to know someone out of my realm is roleplaying NPCs from Avamar as they saw fit without any previous talk with me. A question of respect, in my humble opinion.

We did go over this in another thread.

No one player "owns" the NPCs of an entire realm.

It is not appropriate to roleplay large proportions of a realm doing something that game mechanics does not support (for instance, the population of an entire region rioting, when stats show its morale and loyalty to be high and control is core).

It is absolutely, 100% fine to roleplay single or small groups of NPCs from another realm hating their ruler, attempting rebellious action, attacking supposedly neutral or friendly foreigners without provocation, or whatever else anyone wants to roleplay. And they don't have to ask permission from anyone as long as the specific NPCs aren't ones that someone else made up in the first place.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: February 27, 2013, 02:36:48 PM »
Since the RP reflects the situation of a region, it's ok. I agree with your statement, but I prefer to keep my opinion and behavior when I want to interact with more people in game. I don't want to mess with the work of another people just because of my fun and interests.
Serpentis again!

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: February 27, 2013, 03:41:21 PM »
Since the RP reflects the situation of a region, it's ok. I agree with your statement, but I prefer to keep my opinion and behavior when I want to interact with more people in game. I don't want to mess with the work of another people just because of my fun and interests.

You're more than welcome to keep that as the standard for your roleplays.

You're just not allowed to attempt to impose it upon other people. If they want to roleplay a dozen Sirionite commoners lighting themselves on fire and then, with their dying moments, carefully burning into the fields of Elmbar in letters 100 feet tall, "ELVES EAT BABIES," that's entirely up to them.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: February 27, 2013, 03:53:01 PM »
This thread is about "PERSONAL Guidelines" ;)

And if at the same time the Lord of Elmbar decide to make a RP with the elves celebrating, eating and drinking in a festival without dying commoner, then we will have a big crap without sense. Mainly if the Loyalty there is at 100%. Also, we receive the report of people immigrating and being born every day, then if your region have 100% population, it's impossible to think in people "carefully burning into the fields of Elmbar". 

It's like a character some time ago saying there's no elves anymore because he poisoned the water. It was funny to see how he insisted on it IC and OOC till get tired and tried to find something more fun to do or another realm to spread his attempts.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 03:58:57 PM by Eduardo Almighty »
Serpentis again!