Far East Island - The current system is needs improvement
3 (12%)
Dwilight - The current system is ok
2 (8%)
Dwilight - The current system needs improvement
9 (36%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: March 03, 2013, 06:09:17 PM

Author Topic: Your Thoughts on Food and the Marketplace  (Read 24369 times)

Gustav Kuriga

Re: Your Thoughts on Food and the Marketplace
« Reply #30: March 01, 2013, 03:20:44 AM »
That won't tell us the whole story though. Check the I Hate Food thread where I talked about the major differences between Dwilight and Atamara. One problem isn't just food production, it's food distribution.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: March 01, 2013, 03:22:13 AM »
Well, can we calculate that?  Total island population divided by daily food production?
I feel like I am doing something wrong but its 2200000/37500 or roughly 60 bushels. Also, this is not total island for either but total part of island that is not Zuma or rogue.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: March 01, 2013, 03:22:57 AM »
Yes well, 30k pop is 360 bushels every 6 days. Which is under 400. (excluding militia for simplicity)

Meanwhile, my city consumes at least 115 bushels of food a day.
Fine, most cities I see are above 33333 pop.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: March 01, 2013, 03:35:13 AM »
That won't tell us the whole story though. Check the I Hate Food thread where I talked about the major differences between Dwilight and Atamara. One problem isn't just food production, it's food distribution.

It's just a systematic approach identifying/isolating/eliminating variables.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: March 01, 2013, 03:53:50 AM »
Well, can we calculate that?  Total island population divided by daily food production?

Which gives a biased number, as it assumes the absence of seasons and therefore downplays the importance of rot. The production fluctuations means that the warehouses' capacities are met in greatly varying levels through the seasons.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: March 01, 2013, 04:03:49 AM »
Which gives a biased number, as it assumes the absence of seasons and therefore downplays the importance of rot. The production fluctuations means that the warehouses' capacities are met in greatly varying levels through the seasons.
That is true. Production of food is currently twice that of its standard production
― G.K. Chesterton

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #36: March 01, 2013, 01:34:26 PM »
Rot is not an issue. Every island experiences it. Unless you.can give me data and calculate how much it affects you it is simply hyperbole to say rot is a significant factor due to seasons.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: March 01, 2013, 02:04:04 PM »
Rot is not an issue. Every island experiences it. Unless you.can give me data and calculate how much it affects you it is simply hyperbole to say rot is a significant factor due to seasons.

In islands without seasons it may be sufficient to stockpile only a small safety margin if you can trust politically that your neighbours will keep selling you food.

In islands with seasons you must stockpile more as you know that very little food is available during winter. That's where rot kicks in.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: March 01, 2013, 02:27:31 PM »
That is true. Production of food is currently twice that of its standard production

Actually, this is incorrect.  With the results of the survey there will be another will more defined questions.  As it stands now, it appears that Dwilight has an issue, though I would like votes.

Assuming that Dwilight has an issue and Atamara doesn't, we then begin to look at what's different about these islands.  Seasons is one of those.

The conversation outside of the survey (ieL in this thread) provides valuable insight, not specifics.

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: March 01, 2013, 02:30:37 PM »
How is food production affected by seasons? (for example: -50% to +50%)

And again, this is just conversation.  If the island itself generally has a surplus of food, regardless of season, then seasons can be eliminated.

We don't happen to track historic food levels?  Not that there would be any reason to, but a comparison of food levels vs food demand over the last 6 months would be interesting.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: March 01, 2013, 02:32:12 PM »
winter its 1/4, spring3/4, summer 1, autumn 2. What I said in the other thread is not false, Dwilight does currrently have twice the standard food production atm.
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: March 01, 2013, 03:15:59 PM »
Autumn high production produces large stockpiles. Winter low production rates demand large stockpiles to make sure you can survive. Large stockpiles rot faster than small stockpiles. Therefore, rot hurts more on islands with seasons.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: March 01, 2013, 03:17:15 PM »
Large stockpiles rot faster than small stockpiles.

Only in absolute terms, unless your stockpile is too large for your granaries.

All food that fits in the granaries you have built in your region rots at exactly the same rate.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: March 01, 2013, 03:24:25 PM »
With autumn high production, you're producing food that has to sit around for, essentially, three to six weeks before it is consumed. (Some food produced in autumn lasts through late spring to support the cities before higher production kicks in and starts supporting them.) This means the food is subject to anywhere from 20-40 days of rot and shrinkage. On non-season islands, that large stockpile and extended rot cycle doesn't happen. You can manage food on a weekly basis, and generally don't need to stockpile for 6 weeks of consumption.  Therefore you don't get hit with all those extra rot cycles.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: March 01, 2013, 04:37:54 PM »
With autumn high production, you're producing food that has to sit around for, essentially, three to six weeks before it is consumed. (Some food produced in autumn lasts through late spring to support the cities before higher production kicks in and starts supporting them.) This means the food is subject to anywhere from 20-40 days of rot and shrinkage. On non-season islands, that large stockpile and extended rot cycle doesn't happen. You can manage food on a weekly basis, and generally don't need to stockpile for 6 weeks of consumption.  Therefore you don't get hit with all those extra rot cycles.

This is a very interesting point.  In essence, rot is higher on Dwilight due to the seasons.  Considering technology back then, rot should be reduced during the winter since granaries don't have heat and the food would simply freeze, thus less rot.

Along those lines, should rot mirror the food production cycle?