Poll

Your Opinion on Food and the Markets in Dwilight

My region produces a surplus but I don't bother to sell the food
0 (0%)
My region produces a surplus but I find it too inconvenient to sell the food
1 (4.2%)
My region produces a surplus and I sell all the food that I can but no one buys it
2 (8.3%)
My region produces a surplus and I sell all the food and it is usually bought
7 (29.2%)
My region is in a deficit but I don't bother to buy food
0 (0%)
My region is in a deficit but I find it too inconvenient to buy the food
0 (0%)
My region is in a deficit and I place buy orders that rarely get filled
6 (25%)
My region is in a deficit and I play buy orders that usually get filled
5 (20.8%)
I don't play on Dwilight but want to vote for something
3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: March 04, 2013, 02:40:10 PM

Author Topic: Your Opinion on Food and the Markets in Dwilight  (Read 21824 times)

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Just some market research on your opinion about the CURRENT food situation on Dwilight.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
First vote! ;D

My region (Askileon) is a significant net food consumer. At present, it is well fed by the buy orders I place and the sell orders I accept.

However, in the recent past, this was not the case. The Lords of Luria Nova have had to be browbeaten into the notion that it is a good idea for them to sell their food at all, let alone for reasonable prices. The previous Banker of the realm took a very laissez faire approach, and as a result, Askileon starved for a time due to there simply being no food on the market.

The current Banker has cracked down on this type of behaviour, and with the Judge backing him, has had recalcitrant Lords punished with fines. This caused something of a kerfuffle at the last regular Banker election, but apparently a plurality of nobles in the realm supported the new Banker's realm-centric stance, even despite his often rather abrasive manner.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Bjarnson

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Via, my wonderful city is not producing at all, but within the borders of Asylon we produce enough food to keep us all fed. That includes my city. And for example, I see 8-10 sell orders that I will pick up once I get back to Via increasing my storage yet again.
King Grimrog Bjarnson of Asylon.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
First vote! ;D

My region (Askileon) is a significant net food consumer. At present, it is well fed by the buy orders I place and the sell orders I accept.

However, in the recent past, this was not the case. The Lords of Luria Nova have had to be browbeaten into the notion that it is a good idea for them to sell their food at all, let alone for reasonable prices. The previous Banker of the realm took a very laissez faire approach, and as a result, Askileon starved for a time due to there simply being no food on the market.

The current Banker has cracked down on this type of behaviour, and with the Judge backing him, has had recalcitrant Lords punished with fines. This caused something of a kerfuffle at the last regular Banker election, but apparently a plurality of nobles in the realm supported the new Banker's realm-centric stance, even despite his often rather abrasive manner.

I'm the Banker in question here, and this same issue will be true for every net food consumer in Luria Nova -- Poryatown, Askileon, Giask, and their doughnut regions...
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Was steward for Fatexna for a while (the main food producing region), and food sold easily since the divides were starving. Now I'm in Nyuushi and buy orders are all over the place, so once I get the stats together I'll be able to start selling surplus. The food market is probably going to be my only income for quite some time (aside from handouts).
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
The famine and war before in Asylon turned out pretty good for Asylon in the end. We produce ample food and only half the population and still produce good gold per region. Genocide has its up side!
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Can a dev post the food surplus (+ or -) for each region in Dwilight?

I'll take this map ( http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Dwilight/Geographic_Features/Map ) and overlay the numbers and look for giant holes.

It would also be great to have the current food stored per region, this will help show food mobility.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:12:24 PM by Azerax »

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
Can a dev post the food surplus (+ or -) for each region in Dwilight?

I'll take this map ( http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Dwilight/Geographic_Features/Map ) and overlay the numbers and look for giant holes.

It would also be great to have the current food stored per region, this will help show food mobility.

Post... no, that doesn't sound like a good idea. If you have access to the dev server there is an admin page that shows all the information you could want, and more. Hop on IRC and we can talk about it.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
don't have access to dev but I'll hop into irc after work in about 7 hours.

One thing that I am curious of is if a specific scenario exists on Dwilight where, due to distances, in order for food to be fully mobile, it may have to be traded twice to reach it's needed destination.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
One thing that I am curious of is if a specific scenario exists on Dwilight where, due to distances, in order for food to be fully mobile, it may have to be traded twice to reach it's needed destination.

The distance between Flowrestowne and Echiur is 2813 miles going through Libidizedd, probably closer to 2000 miles as the crow flies, and that's the short dimension of Dwilight. The distance from North to South is probably closer to 3000 miles.

A Trader with ~55% skill has a range of 650 miles.

So, yes, these scenarios exist, but it's not like it would take dozens of hops either.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Gustav Kuriga

The distance between Flowrestowne and Echiur is 2813 miles going through Libidizedd, probably closer to 2000 miles as the crow flies, and that's the short dimension of Dwilight. The distance from North to South is probably closer to 3000 miles.

A Trader with ~55% skill has a range of 650 miles.

So, yes, these scenarios exist, but it's not like it would take dozens of hops either.

Yes, but that would also require you to have a decent number of traders as well....

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Those two people who can't find people to buy their food should just contact D'Hara... pretty obvious you'll find buyers there, most would even be willing to travel to your region to pick it up.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Gustav Kuriga

Those two people who can't find people to buy their food should just contact D'Hara... pretty obvious you'll find buyers there, most would even be willing to travel to your region to pick it up.

Yes, but would you then sell the food to someone else who needs it , considering your realm needs a lot of food.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Yes, but would you then sell the food to someone else who needs it , considering your realm needs a lot of food.
Are you talking about Machiavel specifically?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Gustav Kuriga

No, d'hara in general.