Poll

Your Opinion on Food and the Markets in Dwilight

My region produces a surplus but I don't bother to sell the food
0 (0%)
My region produces a surplus but I find it too inconvenient to sell the food
1 (4.2%)
My region produces a surplus and I sell all the food that I can but no one buys it
2 (8.3%)
My region produces a surplus and I sell all the food and it is usually bought
7 (29.2%)
My region is in a deficit but I don't bother to buy food
0 (0%)
My region is in a deficit but I find it too inconvenient to buy the food
0 (0%)
My region is in a deficit and I place buy orders that rarely get filled
6 (25%)
My region is in a deficit and I play buy orders that usually get filled
5 (20.8%)
I don't play on Dwilight but want to vote for something
3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: March 04, 2013, 02:40:10 PM

Author Topic: Your Opinion on Food and the Markets in Dwilight  (Read 21983 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Yes, but would you then sell the food to someone else who needs it , considering your realm needs a lot of food.

I don't get it.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Gustav Kuriga

D'Hara is light on Rurals, yes? Then that means your realm has to buy more food from imports to make up for the lack of domestic food production. Which in turn means that there likely isn't going to be much leftover for export. What isn't to get?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
D'Hara is light on Rurals, yes? Then that means your realm has to buy more food from imports to make up for the lack of domestic food production. Which in turn means that there likely isn't going to be much leftover for export. What isn't to get?

Paisland now appears to produce a surplus... this is just since a few days ago. I was running a food deficit before then.

If food is sold to a D'Haran region with a surplus, it'd then sell it to a needy region, obviously.

And yes, the odds of it then being exported is quite low. I don't get why this needs saying, or what it has to do with what I said?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Paisland now appears to produce a surplus... this is just since a few days ago. I was running a food deficit before then.

If food is sold to a D'Haran region with a surplus, it'd then sell it to a needy region, obviously.

And yes, the odds of it then being exported is quite low. I don't get why this needs saying, or what it has to do with what I said?
+1, I am totally confused by this.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Gustav Kuriga

It has to do with transferring food from one side of the island to the other, something that D'Hara is well placed to do, but is rather hard to do because of your own food needs.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Isn't D'Hara supposed to have food problems? Their city-to-rural ratio has ALWAYS been terrible.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Gustav Kuriga

I'm not saying it shouldn't. I'm saying that using them as an example of transferring food from one side of the continent to the other makes no sense.

Gustav Kuriga

And to be clear, that explanation was to everybody in general, not to Chenier specifically. Also, finding a buyer for food on Dwilight isn't the problem.  It's finding a fricking seller.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
It has to do with transferring food from one side of the island to the other, something that D'Hara is well placed to do, but is rather hard to do because of your own food needs.
What are you getting at? That somehow D'hara needing food is hurting the food situation of Dwilight because we try to feed ourselves instead of starving ourselves for the betterment of the continent? I don't get your point.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile

Okay, sure... But when did I ever say I wanted to do that? Two people voted on the polls that they had food and couldn't manage to sell it. Which I find ridiculous, because EVERYONE should know that odds are, you could sell it to D'Hara. Failing to sell food on Dwilight is the result of not trying very hard at all. There are so many buyers that most would do all of the travelling for it themselves.

And to be clear, that explanation was to everybody in general, not to Chenier specifically. Also, finding a buyer for food on Dwilight isn't the problem.  It's finding a fricking seller.

Two people, according to the polls, would disagree. Hence my comment.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I'm still convinced that ANY realm on ANY continent that has 4 cities, and 1 stronghold, while only having 3 Rural regions SHOULD have irreparable food problems which make it almost impossible to exist functionally as a realm. On top of that, you have 2 badlands regions in your bunch of 13 regions. So, your realm should pretty much not be possibly able to function. The food situation no matter what the devs code will not make D'Hara a realm which can conceivably exist upon what it has without them doubling in size and not taking a single extra city.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Gustav Kuriga

What are you getting at? That somehow D'hara needing food is hurting the food situation of Dwilight because we try to feed ourselves instead of starving ourselves for the betterment of the continent? I don't get your point.

I'm not saying that D'Hara needing food is hurting the food situation on dwilight. I'm trying to explain why getting food from a largely food-positive realm (Morek) to a relatively food-negative realm on the other landmass is so hard to do. It wouldn't matter if it was D'Hara or some other realm, you'd still need to go through a middleman in most cases unless you were able to get a trader out to the other realm.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I'm not saying that D'Hara needing food is hurting the food situation on dwilight. I'm trying to explain why getting food from a largely food-positive realm (Morek) to a relatively food-negative realm on the other landmass is so hard to do. It wouldn't matter if it was D'Hara or some other realm, you'd still need to go through a middleman in most cases unless you were able to get a trader out to the other realm.

I agree on this point. However, I don't think that such long food transfers are supposed to be the expected norm on Dwilight.

Luria Nova, Terran, and Aurvandil's region make up makes them much more food position, so why couldn't you just purchase food from them? If the answer is diplomatic relations, then that means the problem isn't in the game mechanics.

Gustav Kuriga

Terran hovers just over the unsafe line in regards to food supply. So whether not they'd be willing to sell depends on how efficient they are at feeding their cities.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
Luria Nova, Terran, and Aurvandil's region make up makes them much more food position, so why couldn't you just purchase food from them? If the answer is diplomatic relations, then that means the problem isn't in the game mechanics.

LN hasn't had the ability to safely export food for a few months, after the long winter and then the east pastureland drought. Right now I'm in the process of making sure we have enough food for the winter, but damn do we move food slowly.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.