Author Topic: Averoth OOC conflicts with GM  (Read 37143 times)

Zakilevo

Re: Averoth OOC conflicts with GM
« Reply #45: April 12, 2011, 05:47:02 AM »
I think you are just bluffing bro. You wouldn't even get a warning. You will just lose your multies if you are actually cheating. And if it was a mistake he will give it back to you. Tom wouldn't threaten you because there is no reason to. He will just hammer you.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 06:21:43 AM by Tony J »

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: April 12, 2011, 06:01:19 AM »
And by all accounts, we were threatened.

This implies that you personally never received any such message. Therefore, you are repeating an unsubstantiated rumor.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: April 12, 2011, 06:11:34 AM »
Did you, or did you not, receive a message directly from Tom or the Titans?

This. This is what I would personally like to see answered.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

egamma

« Reply #48: April 12, 2011, 07:30:43 AM »
I think you are just bluffing bro. You wouldn't even get a warning. You will just lose your multies if you are actually cheating. And if it was a mistake he will give it back to you. Tom wouldn't threaten you because there is no reason to. He will just hammer you.

Tony is quite right. If Tom has evidence of cheating he will lock your accounts, no warning, and you can email him if you think it was unfair. Every year or two there's a multi sweep, with messages posted on the login page.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: April 12, 2011, 07:35:53 AM »
From Saxon Thulsoma to Caerwyn and Averoth , these guys sure believe a lot of rumours... Its just a game, we are not out to get you...

On another note I remember when I was in old Thulsoma with 12 to 15 nobles and it being difficult to support and pay for things.. I cannot imagine 51 in a realm of the same size. It doesn't make sense for long term, short term sure... But weeks after week it would seem that 80% of the nobles in the realm are unitless and crying for 5 gold and or ransacking the population for gold, and the other 20% are sitting on units of 3-5... Please don't tell me these are huge armies they have.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #50: April 12, 2011, 09:20:30 AM »
Did you, or did you not, receive a message directly from Tom or the Titans?

Yes, they did.

Unfortunately, RL has come up and I can't sort this out right now, but I did warn the entire realm that I really hate digging deep into this multi-stuff because it always takes hours of work to sort things out so we are at least reasonably sure. And if they come clean, I'd reward the honesty.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: April 12, 2011, 09:47:49 AM »
maybe we should ask our selves as community what we can do to prevent these kind of thoughts about the dev team.
It really gets me upset to see people think this way about the people who VOLUNTARILY make this into the greatest game i've ever played and kept it non-commercial.
I can't think of anything we could do apart from starting to play there and discuss the issue.
These players don't seem to be much active on this forum either.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: April 12, 2011, 12:00:10 PM »
I will second that opinion... Greatest game I have ever played and its essentially a wall of text. lol ;D

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: April 12, 2011, 01:22:51 PM »
There's been a lot of accusation that the "GMs" are purposely out to get a certain group of players.

Well, let me tell you, if that were actually true, they wouldn't have been able to get as far as they have.

If I were out to get Averoth, I'd sneak some code in that would skew battle results subtly but inexorably in favour of all their enemies.

If the only actual GM (in BM terminology) on Dwilight, the one playing the Zuma, were out to get Averoth, he'd maneuver an army of 100K CS of Daimons to their capital and then burn it to the ground.

If the Titans were out to get Averoth, they'd lock or deport a lot more of them (there's certainly evidence enough).

If Tom were out to get Averoth, he'd just IP-ban all their accounts.

This is the problem with a confirmation bias: every time something happens that you can twist to be evidence of your particular beliefs, you see it as confirming your suspicions.

It is particularly bad when your suspicion is that the people in charge of a game are out to get you.  That leads to abuse being directed at them, and attempts to flout their authority.  Then said abuse gets posts deleted and accounts locked, and attempts to flout authority get characters punished and loopholes closed.  Then they see all this happening to them, and say, "Look! It's just more proof! The GMs are against us!"
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: A moment of perspective.
« Reply #54: April 12, 2011, 01:44:29 PM »
SA realms just seem really grumpy and moody, a bunch of complacent players sitting around doing nothing, never saying anything, until there is a chance of them to have a massive gang war. Looking at it objectively, the war on Thulsoma was utterly pathetic, and so is the war on Averoth, but what's truly pathetic is all the Out of Character griping coming from Astroism, why? Because we're defending ourselves, we're not rolling over and dying. Would you like the war to last a month and be no challenge at all? Or like Thulsoma, a war that lasts over a year and has the biggest battles ever seen on the continent, and has the best roleplay and contributes the most to the continent? It's ridiculous, it really does seem like SA is super pissy because they aren't getting their own way, which is to say, having everything come easy to them on demand.

Uhm well to try and keep things a bit IC, it was my opinion that Thulsoma and Averoth were not at all fun realms where to play, being the few interactions I had with them underlying arrogance and savage egocentrism. I believe my view as opposed to yours is just healthy ignorance due to not knowing the enemy realms. Perhaps Morek is not one of the most active places around, but I wouldn't call it grumpy or moody.

You call the war against Thulsoma pathetic, and in several places I managed to hear people bragging on how thulsoma was successful in drawing su much hate. Do you realize how long SA tolerated Thulsoma before wiping it out? Do you realize how many times we just ignored the arrogant and offensive tones of their ruler and their nobles? SA never decided "hey let's kill thulsoma cause it's tiny and defenseless", but you can't truly expect nothing to follow such a rude attitude against someone that is, by all means, more powerful than you.

And to unravel things more, do you truly believe that a NORMAL realm big as Thulsoma would have required 3/4 big realms together to wipe it out? I still remember how Haruka bragged regularly in her RPs about how saxons was not defeated by half the world. If you stop and think about it, you realize that the gangbang assumed such proportions because something was wrong there. You had normal realms on one hand, and something that deviated consistently from the standard gold/cs ratio. You cannot expect a different outcome, and again I stress it was called upon Thulsoma by themselves.

To summarize: the war was pathetic because a ruler of a tiny realm managed to insult basically everyone that was around it, and because thanks to "clever management of gold" they managed to muster a force that was not possible to defeat without resorting to several realms together. Where is SA guilt here, I don't understand. We reacted IC to provocations, and called upon more and more armies when it was clear we couldn't breach Thulsoma with just Morek and Libero.

About the OOC things in SA, again it's just a matter of frustration. I had nice battles against Thulsoma and I did some nice RPs there. It was fun to have someone playing the arch enemy, doing evil things whenever possible. But since all this was caused by the exploiting of a loophole, the fun was not very consistent. OOC rants can be quite common if you fight according to the rules against someone that does not, and especially if that someone brags on a daily basis on how strong they are and how weak are all those fools who still try to play fairly.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: April 13, 2011, 01:57:16 AM »
All 51 of those nobles are probably the same person... :P

And that post about grumpy SA is priceless... :o

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: April 13, 2011, 03:04:00 AM »

Substantiate, or recant. That is an insult.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: April 13, 2011, 03:08:49 AM »

I know you meant that as a bit of a Joke, but really it is necessary. At this stage all we know is that Tom has sufficient evidence to suspect that SOME of the characters MAY be multies. No need to tar and feather an entire realm even if it is meant in jest.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: April 13, 2011, 08:58:50 AM »
Also, if we're supposedly using our god-mode GM powers to win, then how come I'm still losing the war?  >:(

That's just what I wanted to hear  8)

Anyways, just read about the whole thread. A lot of interesting stuff. I wish Tom still played his characters for one, maybe he should give it another try? *wink wink, nudge nudge* I would definitely fight him if I was ruler of a realm just to say I took down the owner of this game.. and something IC that I would definitely RP ing  ;D

As for the accusations, as an outside-group on this matter I believe that the GMs have no part in this, they are too much part of the game and represent the freedom of this game to try and manipulate it for themselves. The Titans are another matter, they may have something more to do for their characters versus the game. Then again I don't know who they are, but it's still a possibility that there's a rotten Titan in the mix.

Finally, as for the multis, there's a chance there is but then again there are rather large gaming groups that I'm sure are into helping each other out when times are tough in their games.. and BM is so easy to help your friends out within a matter of a week of joining. Think about it.

Anyways, to sum up this thread: too much speculation. I mean hell, I just read an article about how Paul McCartney died in 1966 and the Beatles/UK covered it all up. How's that for crazy?....or is it?  ??? ::) :o
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 09:26:22 AM by DoctorHarte »
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: April 13, 2011, 10:13:28 AM »
Ok guys you have probably figured it out by now anyways... I'm Tom... 8)