Author Topic: Company of the Black Sun  (Read 13049 times)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Company of the Black Sun
« Reply #30: March 04, 2013, 11:36:33 PM »
I didn't mention about him changing his mind, but without a specific quote on the specific subject is difficult to be 100% sure. I'm not trying to challenge your word, but I believe it would be very nice to have a confirmation from him.

It's like the "elf thing" in Sirion... it's always about someone trying to remember what he said about the subjetc.
Tim can be trusted on what Tom said in the past. If you really want Tom to answer, send him a PM. Also, the elf thing has been answered officially already so I don't get what your trying to say there.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: March 04, 2013, 11:45:45 PM »
I'm not trying to say, I'm giving an example.
And I don't want to PM him, but it would be good for the people who have interests in this "guild".
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: March 04, 2013, 11:49:37 PM »
I'm not trying to say, I'm giving an example.
And I don't want to PM him, but it would be good for the people who have interests in this "guild".
If you can't take the effort to PM Tom, then quit whining that you want an official response from him.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: March 05, 2013, 12:12:47 AM »
I'm not whining... but this game is too big and have too many options to discuss, so we don't need this kind of defensive posture and people saying: "You cannot do that!". Now the others can PM him and read it from him. Very simple.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:16:47 AM by Eduardo Almighty »
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: March 05, 2013, 12:55:54 AM »
I'm not whining... but this game is too big and have too many options to discuss, so we don't need this kind of defensive posture and people saying: "You cannot do that!". Now the others can PM him and read it from him. Very simple.
Just saying Tim is pretty much Tom's right hand AFAIK, so Tim isn't just some random person stating something. I do agree that if I or someone not on the dev team tried to state something on Tom's position related to something we should either give proof or at least state its only our memory, not necessarily fact, but I consider random people and dev team members saying something very different.
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: March 05, 2013, 03:29:23 AM »
If you do it, and have appropriate justification to back it up, I'd gamble you are rather safe. If you do it and it ends up Tom doesn't like it, I doubt he'll be harsh, because it'd have clearly been done with good intent and with appropriate background justification. As others have said, there are plenty of pre-1300 examples of things like these, and many aspects of the game don't fit pre-1300 anyways, but closer to 1500. Just be wary of how to make it happen, with regards to oaths.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #36: March 05, 2013, 02:02:28 PM »
Just be wary of how to make it happen, with regards to oaths.

But...do we still have those? And besides, the oath could easily be: "I pledge to fight for your cause for the sum of 200 gold per week".

Which is basically what knights do anyways.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: March 05, 2013, 02:03:14 PM »
But...do we still have those? And besides, the oath could easily be: "I pledge to fight for your cause for the sum of 200 gold per week".

Which is basically what knights do anyways.

Pretty much.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #38: March 05, 2013, 03:19:06 PM »
This seems like a natural evolution of the game to me. Plus it sets an interesting precedent. Consider what it would be like if/when Aurvandil was no more and all those knights, who hypothetically dislike all the other realms, sold their swords instead of their loyalty? Imagine what D'Hara might accomplish had we been at full economic strength to take advantage of such a movement?

0_0
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: March 05, 2013, 04:39:57 PM »
This seems like a natural evolution of the game to me. Plus it sets an interesting precedent. Consider what it would be like if/when Aurvandil was no more and all those knights, who hypothetically dislike all the other realms, sold their swords instead of their loyalty? Imagine what D'Hara might accomplish had we been at full economic strength to take advantage of such a movement?

0_0

I know. I'm really eager for us to regain our pre-long winter wealth levels, but with the food stats running around, I don't think it'll be any time soon...

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: March 05, 2013, 11:45:27 PM »
make this happennnnnn

i'm kinda upset this wasn't my idea after everguard fell, karibash would've hopped on board immediately.

he may still be partial to the idea, and he's not too bad at strategy I hear  8)

D'Espana

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: March 06, 2013, 02:14:21 AM »
I know. I'm really eager for us to regain our pre-long winter wealth levels, but with the food stats running around, I don't think it'll be any time soon...

May the *coughTomcough* Bloodstars hear you...
D'Espana Family

Samboji

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: April 06, 2013, 04:59:10 AM »
It's not too bad of an idea. Whilst the idea of a "rogue" class of nobility is silly (you've got trader or infiltrator, or messaging/deals/alliances) to play that out, adventurers can also fulfill the role to a certain degree. Low chances of success, little but useful information gained, no major realm changing events. Can join guilds just as easily as nobles (for 5 gold, then set borrowing limits relatively high). As spies they're excellent, very low cost, and can be quite interesting to play. But this is a digression, it's up to you to flesh out a roguish character of whatever class, there are enough mechanics and RP opportunities to do so.

But a mercenary class? Is it possible under the current game mechanics? You could just ask for bonds and stipends from nobles in your realm, but it does mean that you need a good idea of alliances and bank locations to change them out on the field. As a group of mercenaries from one realm it also brings up the question of three sided battles or the ability to attack your realm's ally's lands.

I find it an interesting subject simply for the mechanics of whether it can be done successfully and for how long. As well as the inevitable consequences of it in realm diplomacy. Various examples exist in history, some well outside the time period or scope of BM, but it may be an interesting character concept. For some reason the privateers of the Carribean come to mind of the consequences of these action. Both sides may end up declaring you pirate and decide to hang you.

Never-the-less....... Sick of LN's drivel with an established character? Get orders, get money, get friends, go fight a private war. Make sure they're good friends or you'll get banned from your realm. Make sure they pay you a lot. What will happen during a three-sided battle, or when you and your company of mercs all being set to murderous so you can attack supposed allies is up to the dice gods.

Sounds horribly fun really.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: April 06, 2013, 06:30:29 AM »
Well I am replying to this super late ( a month to be exact) the food rebalance will have an increase in food for Dwilight.
― G.K. Chesterton