Poll

What is your greatest fear on Dwilight?

Sanguis Astroism on Crusade
The Zuma on Warpath
Monster invasions
Cival war / rebellion / succession
Other...

Author Topic: What is your greatest fear on Dwilight?  (Read 22890 times)

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: What is your greatest fear on Dwilight?
« Reply #30: April 27, 2011, 11:28:02 PM »
I do not believe that the rural lands of Dwilight wouldn't produce enough food to feed all its cities. But where it to happen that food becomes (even more) scarce, then I am glad to be part of Barca, taking into account that we will start to take some rural lands ourselves as well.  ;)
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #31: April 27, 2011, 11:37:49 PM »
The recent developments hint at a troubling future for a large part of Dwilight. See those realms with barely 10 nobles in them? Asylon, Aurvandil, Barca, D'Hara, and Madina. To be so spread across a yet hostile land is not a guide to a bright future. When humans are fragmented with their banners, the wilds will gain pressure.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #32: April 28, 2011, 05:15:49 AM »
I do not believe that the rural lands of Dwilight wouldn't produce enough food to feed all its cities. But where it to happen that food becomes (even more) scarce, then I am glad to be part of Barca, taking into account that we will start to take some rural lands ourselves as well.  ;)

Making you target of said realm nearby with little food...

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: April 28, 2011, 06:49:27 AM »
I disagree that we should be a lumping together into 3 or 4 huge realms across Dwilight.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: April 28, 2011, 07:28:34 AM »
The recent developments hint at a troubling future for a large part of Dwilight. See those realms with barely 10 nobles in them? Asylon, Aurvandil, Barca, D'Hara, and Madina. To be so spread across a yet hostile land is not a guide to a bright future. When humans are fragmented with their banners, the wilds will gain pressure.

However, many small realms is almost certainly the most efficient use of resources. Higher taxes, shorter travel times, easier group cohesion, and numerous other factors would indicate that small realms are the best return. They need big realms somewhere behind them to funnel resources, but small realms manage the land more effectively.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: April 28, 2011, 08:08:58 AM »
Aye, and if history is any reminder of anything it is the large realms on Dwilight that are the most vicious and warlike and eager to strike out at others around them! ;)
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #36: April 28, 2011, 12:53:43 PM »
Xinhai/Morek Empire was not like this. We have been attacked, in one form or another, by those around us (save a short foray by Allison and her army into Summerdale, but that was a personal quest to kill Bowie, completely unauthorized). For example, while we were at war with Aquilegia, the Raivan and Libero Empires both decided to make a land grab. Thulsoma taunted all of SA and executed a noble of Morek Empire. Averoth interfered in a Crusade against said Thulsoma.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #37: April 28, 2011, 02:15:32 PM »
However, many small realms is almost certainly the most efficient use of resources. Higher taxes, shorter travel times, easier group cohesion, and numerous other factors would indicate that small realms are the best return. They need big realms somewhere behind them to funnel resources, but small realms manage the land more effectively.

Time only will be the final judge, but if the past is any indication, with the quenching of realms like Viridian, Melodia, Virovene, Raivan Empire, Aquilegia, Myern, Tulsoma, Ordenstaat, due to reasons both due to man and nature, then there is not a very promising future for the current small realms. Their military strength is negligible, and would require the assistance of strong military to keep them alive for any amount of time. I expect that Barca has been enjoying consistent aid from Terran or D'Hara. Aurvandil fighting Madina is a rather bad sign for both of them, but that's human conflict for you.

My big assumption here is that there are too many egos trying to strike out their own names, but in the process that only spreads resources, and leads to the perpetuation of Dwilight as mostly concentrated in only certain areas. While the stories that could arise from it are great, it would be a constant frustration for those who sought fame and glory. Well, perhaps fighting monsters does earn some "glory".

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #38: April 28, 2011, 04:18:24 PM »
We rely much on Terran and D'Hara, true, but it is taking like forever for the population in Rettleville to rise. So it is hard to become self-sufficient. But we have survived our first YD.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: April 28, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
Barca needs Thysan, badly, or it won't start producing anything, to be honest.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #40: April 28, 2011, 11:39:17 PM »
Rettlewood and Thysan would be a good start. Seeing how much harder Rettlewood grew in comparison to Rettleville, these lands can provide us with much food and recruits. Badly required at the moment.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: April 29, 2011, 12:43:37 AM »
Yeah. Thysan is next to Paisland and Odona (Not sure how Odona's population is) and Maeotis (half-way full). It will grow much quicker then Rettlewood, like Maeotis did. With Maeotis still not entirely recovered, it will go much better. With Thysan, you then finally get Gold, Food and Recruits.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: April 29, 2011, 02:08:10 AM »
Indeed, Thysan should grow quite quickly. Odona has reasonably good population, and Paisland has plenty.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: April 29, 2011, 03:34:11 PM »
Time only will be the final judge, but if the past is any indication, with the quenching of realms like Viridian, Melodia, Virovene, Raivan Empire, Aquilegia, Myern, Tulsoma, Ordenstaat, due to reasons both due to man and nature, then there is not a very promising future for the current small realms. Their military strength is negligible, and would require the assistance of strong military to keep them alive for any amount of time. I expect that Barca has been enjoying consistent aid from Terran or D'Hara. Aurvandil fighting Madina is a rather bad sign for both of them, but that's human conflict for you.

My big assumption here is that there are too many egos trying to strike out their own names, but in the process that only spreads resources, and leads to the perpetuation of Dwilight as mostly concentrated in only certain areas. While the stories that could arise from it are great, it would be a constant frustration for those who sought fame and glory. Well, perhaps fighting monsters does earn some "glory".

Many of the realms you mentioned were isolated. This is no longer the case, with D'Hara and Terran having a solid border with each other and at least a handful of stabilized regions each. D'Hara hasn't had any rogue problems since the "Event" that, combined with massive starvation and invading forces, led us to lose most of our regions. Rebuilding efforts since have been going great, and our trade is much more developed then it was then. Though our military is rather weak, and our omnipresent walls are our greatest asset (only 1 region can't have them right now, out of the total 2 at our peak of expansion).

Ordenstaat is another story. There was lots of multicheating, which lead to rebellions, which led to them being mistrusted by the neighbors at best, and despised by many. While Barca has the full support of her neighbours, such could not be said of Ordenstaat.

Terran and D'Hara have been there for a very long time, and there's nothing to hint they won't remain for long still.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #44: April 29, 2011, 11:10:21 PM »
Even Ordenstaat stayed alive for a pathetic amount of time, and they at one point even had more nobles than peasants, in their last region, which was a city.

But my prediction will remain that Asylon will likely never get a secure hold of Koshtlom, and Barca will probably never get a secure hold on Twainville. Aurvandil has some hope in that they have a fairly good position on the peninsula, but Madina is breathing down their south. Madina as well might never regain the capacity to populate the entire big southern island.

I may sound pessimistic here, but the trend really doesn't help matters, nor does history of most realms. Asylon has had the longest among the current "new" realms to attract nobles. It has 10. All other realms can sort of be explained, and Barca is at 10 nobles in a short time, though I think they have one new character made after the initial colonization waves from Terran. It's an adventurer.

Do really prove me wrong though. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised to see Asylon secure Koshtlom, and Barca occupy the forest duchies. I'd like to see Aurvandil spread across the southwest peninsula, and D'Hara occupy the middle islands fully.