Poll

What is your greatest fear on Dwilight?

Sanguis Astroism on Crusade
The Zuma on Warpath
Monster invasions
Cival war / rebellion / succession
Other...

Author Topic: What is your greatest fear on Dwilight?  (Read 22879 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: What is your greatest fear on Dwilight?
« Reply #45: April 30, 2011, 07:23:25 AM »
Even Ordenstaat stayed alive for a pathetic amount of time, and they at one point even had more nobles than peasants, in their last region, which was a city.

But my prediction will remain that Asylon will likely never get a secure hold of Koshtlom, and Barca will probably never get a secure hold on Twainville. Aurvandil has some hope in that they have a fairly good position on the peninsula, but Madina is breathing down their south. Madina as well might never regain the capacity to populate the entire big southern island.

I may sound pessimistic here, but the trend really doesn't help matters, nor does history of most realms. Asylon has had the longest among the current "new" realms to attract nobles. It has 10. All other realms can sort of be explained, and Barca is at 10 nobles in a short time, though I think they have one new character made after the initial colonization waves from Terran. It's an adventurer.

Do really prove me wrong though. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised to see Asylon secure Koshtlom, and Barca occupy the forest duchies. I'd like to see Aurvandil spread across the southwest peninsula, and D'Hara occupy the middle islands fully.

I see D'Hara remaining as is for a a while, now. Food issues aren't yet solved, and we lack the nobles to expand (hell, we could do with more for the regions we already have, due to the few pauses we've seen this last month). Qubel Lighthouse is quite a while away, now...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: April 30, 2011, 08:00:22 AM »
The problem is player retention, Asylon has literally had enough people probably like 25 in the last few months join and leave with a few days and delete characters.  It is ridiculous.  And looking at the other realms it doesn't look like you guys attract anyone new either, we are all Dwilight incestuous.

Asylon will secure Koshtlom, its just going to take longer with fewer nobles. Its not hard to run a realm with few nobles, its just hard to keep the monsters back.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #47: April 30, 2011, 07:30:29 PM »
For most other continents, yeah, it's not hard to maintain a realm with about the bare minimum of nobles. On Dwilight, it usually equates to a drawn out spiral into death. It might take a few months, maybe a few years, but what happens is that a player joins, sees that the realm isn't doing too well, or can't provide whatever it is the character is seeking, and leaves. The realm never makes any significant advancement, or if it does, it falls back down in short time.

Dwilight is indeed large, and a lot of its land is ready to be developed. But right now it looks like the desire for uniqueness is so great that realms would continue to try to be independent and risk being stuck at the sub 15 nobles mark for a long time, possibly until death. Just saying...If Aurvandil didn't secede and worked with Madina to actually populate that really good island location...Or if the Barcans actually contributed to D'Hara...

Obviously this wouldn't happen due to human differences. But alas, it is interesting, and provides some support to my one true "fear" of Dwilight. The victory of the wilderness over man.

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: April 30, 2011, 10:55:15 PM »
Barca does contribute to Terran and D'hara, or at least will in the near future. If Terran and D'hara help take Thysan and Rettlewood for them Terran will have effectively sealed off it's southern frontier and D'hara will see the number of monsters in Maeotis drop by half (in theory).
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: April 30, 2011, 11:07:57 PM »
Dwilight is indeed large, and a lot of its land is ready to be developed. But right now it looks like the desire for uniqueness is so great that realms would continue to try to be independent and risk being stuck at the sub 15 nobles mark for a long time, possibly until death. Just saying...If Aurvandil didn't secede and worked with Madina to actually populate that really good island location...Or if the Barcans actually contributed to D'Hara...

Barca does contribute to Terran and D'hara, or at least will in the near future. If Terran and D'hara help take Thysan and Rettlewood for them Terran will have effectively sealed off it's southern frontier and D'hara will see the number of monsters in Maeotis drop by half (in theory).

Indeed, do you think Terran has pumped so much money and so many troops into the success of Barca simply out of some kind of goodwill and friendship? Sure, we want to help out, but the primary is reason is that a realm in the Marwood would be amazing in terms of securing our southern border.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: May 01, 2011, 07:02:06 AM »
Indeed, do you think Terran has pumped so much money and so many troops into the success of Barca simply out of some kind of goodwill and friendship? Sure, we want to help out, but the primary is reason is that a realm in the Marwood would be amazing in terms of securing our southern border.

And food, don't forget that. D'Hara wants more food exporters. It's basically all we think about.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #51: May 02, 2011, 01:27:05 AM »
First of all, I would have never been able to make 10 nobles enthusiastic about joining D'Hara or Terran because I frankly did not know anything about them and couldn't offer my nobles anything. It's that Julius knew Hireshmont, and one thing lead to the other. We are staying optimistic, and I would be pleased to see that we can be self-sufficient with 3-4 regions and with some support of our allies in the future. With the migration-coding, its just taking a long time to populate the Rettleville, to provide us with gold and recruits. When we have gold and recruits, we can colonize and defend regions like Thysan, Rettlewood and Celtiberia which will provide us with food. But now it seems, we first need to populate those rural lands to supply us with gold and recruits before Rettleville will grow at a higher rate. But we believe in ourselves, Terran and D'Hara believe in us as well, and with their support I am optimistic about our success.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: May 03, 2011, 08:57:04 PM »
My main fear on Dwilight is more OOC than anything: a deterioration of the SMA atmosphere. Aside from that, I don't really fear any of the options in the poll. I love the monsters, since they're a great source of action and force you to stay on your toes. SA is too far away to be a threat to me, and I have friendly relations with some top dogs in the organization. Same for the Zuma, there are simply too many realms and regions between the Zuma and PeL/LN for them to be a credible threat.

And as for the civil wars et cetera, my whole career is founded on such things, so I don't fear it much at all :P

Silverfire

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: June 25, 2011, 11:28:15 AM »
Amaury gets elected as my King.

Shoot...this just happened...

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: June 25, 2011, 11:37:28 AM »
Amaury gets elected as my King.

Shoot...this just happened...

You realise that your actions pretty much helped with that? :P So blame yourself ;)

Silverfire

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: June 26, 2011, 01:01:19 AM »
You realise that your actions pretty much helped with that? :P So blame yourself ;)

Not really. Give all the votes for me, to the 2nd place candidate and he still loses. But nothing to be done now.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: June 26, 2011, 01:16:44 PM »
What I find funny is that Brom got less votes than the candidate who ran as a joke and didn't even announce her running :P

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: June 26, 2011, 02:05:25 PM »
What I find funny is that Brom got less votes than the candidate who ran as a joke and didn't even announce her running :P

Ouch. Who was that?

Silverfire

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: June 26, 2011, 07:18:02 PM »
To be fair, Brom had only been in the realm about a week at the time of the election.

Also, the joke candidate was Amaury's wife IG.

Apparently it is very hard to compete against a candidate when he's already won the hearts and minds of the nobles. Too bad Alanna didn't dissappear like a year ago. (for Brom). Then, Brom probably would have won hands down. Oh well.

Winning isn't nearly as interesting as losing...