Author Topic: Dwilight War Declarations  (Read 45784 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwilight War Declarations
« Reply #30: March 06, 2013, 07:02:56 PM »
Because, you see, it's the consequences of war that should matter, not merely the fact of war itself. Peasants should care if there are foreign armies marching through their lands, or if their sons are being sent off to die in battles. Currently, they do not care about that at all, instead they care about their state's diplomatic situation and are completely ambivalent towards the effects of the war; they merely care about the existence of war. It makes no sense and should be changed.
You (and NoblesseChevaleresque) have a fundamental misunderstanding of the existing mechanic, and how it works. In short, you demonstrate that you have no idea how the system works at all. I suggest that instead of critiquing something you don't understand, and thus have no basis from which to critique it, you learn how it works. Once you understand that, then you can go about suggesting ways to improve it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: March 06, 2013, 07:34:23 PM »
You (and NoblesseChevaleresque) have a fundamental misunderstanding of the existing mechanic, and how it works. In short, you demonstrate that you have no idea how the system works at all. I suggest that instead of critiquing something you don't understand, and thus have no basis from which to critique it, you learn how it works. Once you understand that, then you can go about suggesting ways to improve it.

Understandings of the mechanics are entirely irrelevant to the topic which as opened was:

A couple if months ago the northern realms declared war on Aurvandil at the behest of Terran to give them penalties in their regions for so many realms being at war with them.  The northern realms even with sea travel have no real chance to march that far south.

It seemed to me that they simply were gaming the system.

Now they are all declaring war on Falkirk. They have no hope of doing anything meaningful. They likely cant even get troops from Darfix to Madina.

It seems gamey to declare a war you have no intention or capability to wage simply to cause negative game effects against another realm.

Try to stay on topic?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: March 06, 2013, 07:37:41 PM »
Understandings of the mechanics are entirely irrelevant to the topic which as opened was:
They are very germane to this discussion, as two of the people involved are using inaccurate data as their reason why they don't like it, and offering suggestions on how to change it. So if I'm OT, then it's because the people to which I'm responding have drifted OT. So... how come you're not complaining to them about how they're OT?

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: March 06, 2013, 07:41:05 PM »
We addressed this issue at the time, and there were several other factors at play, including comical tax rates, a lack of courtier/diplo work, and a bug that wasn't evident until Aurvandil complained loudly enough. Then it was fixed. Please don't rewrite history when you dredge things up.

Sure, you fixed the feature was worse than intended however, Dustole has stated Vellos made war declarations to use the fact that wars being declared damage the stats of the realm, this is gaming the system. Please read what you reply to before you make idiotic replies

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: March 06, 2013, 07:41:58 PM »
They are very germane to this discussion, as two of the people involved are using inaccurate data as their reason why they don't like it, and offering suggestions on how to change it. So if I'm OT, then it's because the people to which I'm responding have drifted OT. So... how come you're not complaining to them about how they're OT?

Because quoting every post that is off topic would make a very long post

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: March 06, 2013, 07:48:30 PM »
...wars being declared damage the stats of the realm...
This is not true.

Please read what you reply to before you make idiotic replies
Please learn the game mechanics. This stuff is important.

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: March 06, 2013, 07:50:50 PM »

As I understand it, the peasants of a region do not like it when their realm wars against another realm which they like. Feel free to correct this understanding if it's wrong. This can lead to situations as described in the opening post, where regions are suddenly penalised at the onset of a war, regardless of whether the war has any sort of persistence beyond it's declaration. Of course, this can lead to game play abuse as well as strain verisimilitude, as I explained before.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: March 06, 2013, 07:53:05 PM »
Do you think it's abuse if a realm declares war only to fix its own region, who dislike peace with realms they like?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: March 06, 2013, 07:59:29 PM »
Do you think it's abuse if a realm declares war only to fix its own region, who dislike peace with realms they like?

Me? Sort of. It's definitely not using a feature as intended, therefore it's a sort of abuse. However, when I call the type of war declarations indicated in OP abuse, I do so because they have the potential to unbalance the game, by allowing numerous, but weak, realms to cause serious damage to a single strong realm through no merit of their own.

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: March 06, 2013, 08:01:56 PM »
As long as we're talking about gaming the system listen to my idea:

I'm gonna make a new character, have them sit around and funnel gold into our family wealth so Karibash can continually put family investments into the Shrine! What do you guys think?

I think it's a little suspect but is it really gaming the system?

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: March 06, 2013, 08:02:40 PM »
It's definitely not using a feature as intended, therefore it's a sort of abuse. 

What do you think the feature is intended for then?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: March 06, 2013, 08:03:51 PM »
As long as we're talking about gaming the system listen to my idea:

I'm gonna make a new character, have them sit around and funnel gold into our family wealth so Karibash can continually put family investments into the Shrine! What do you guys think?

I think it's a little suspect but is it really gaming the system?

Er...that's been done by dozens of players going back to the beginning of BattleMaster.

It's not exactly well-regarded, but unless it's being done on a massive scale, I don't see it as being gaming the system.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: March 06, 2013, 08:12:47 PM »
As I understand it, the peasants of a region do not like it when their realm wars against another realm which they like.
And does that not suggest any simple way to inoculate yourself against this sort of thing? Simply being at war with someone *does not* cause your realm to resent the war, and go into revolt. You could have the entire island at war with you and suffer no ill effects at all, if you bother to take the simplest of precautions. A few days ambassador/diplomat/priest work and you're done.

If you're going to make a habit about pissing off most of the island, perhaps you should think about that *before* you go ahead and goad them into wars?

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: March 06, 2013, 08:42:51 PM »
And does that not suggest any simple way to inoculate yourself against this sort of thing? Simply being at war with someone *does not* cause your realm to resent the war, and go into revolt. You could have the entire island at war with you and suffer no ill effects at all, if you bother to take the simplest of precautions. A few days ambassador/diplomat/priest work and you're done.

If you're going to make a habit about pissing off most of the island, perhaps you should think about that *before* you go ahead and goad them into wars?

I was not aware that it took only a few days of ambassadorial work to protect again. In that case, I do not see it as being a serious issue.

What do you think the feature is intended for then?

When I referred to it not using a feature as intended, I meant in regards to war. Declaring war for no reason than for positive morale effects strikes me as a misuse. It cannot be justified in character, due to the fact that it uses out of character knowledge, and this game is meant to be a sort of character simulation, therefore such an act defeats the intended purpose of this game.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: March 06, 2013, 08:46:47 PM »
I was not aware that it took only a few days of ambassadorial work to protect again. In that case, I do not see it as being a serious issue.

When I referred to it not using a feature as intended, I meant in regards to war. Declaring war for no reason than for positive morale effects strikes me as a misuse. It cannot be justified in character, due to the fact that it uses out of character knowledge, and this game is meant to be a sort of character simulation, therefore such an act defeats the intended purpose of this game.

It took at least a few days of work for each reach Maeotis had problems which (had about 4 or 5), and my dude has 100 oratory fame.

Proofing the entire realm against the whole continent takes more than a few days for sure.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron