Author Topic: Region Economy rebalance  (Read 33523 times)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Region Economy rebalance
« Topic Start: March 20, 2013, 01:39:31 AM »
It looks great! I have a few questions:

However, overall, there will be around a 25% food surplus on each continent,

Can we be told if that corresponds to an increase or a decrease? There was a comment in the food rebalance thread that said the continents were not standardized in that respect, can we get a rough break of how that will play out by continent?

Also generally, will this yield relatively more or less food to the cities and townslands compared with the rurals?

You can expect to see this rebalance coming live in the beginning of April.

Please wait at least for the 2nd to avoid confusion..... but you probably thought of that.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Re: Region Economy rebalance
« Reply #1: March 20, 2013, 01:44:05 AM »
Can we be told if that corresponds to an increase or a decrease? There was a comment in the food rebalance thread that said the continents were not standardized in that respect, can we get a rough break of how that will play out by continent?

From what I read in previous discussions in forum and on IRC, this is a net increase in food for Dwilight, and a net decrease in food for all other continents. Dev's can feel free to correct me on that though.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 01:46:11 AM by Dante Silverfire »
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 20, 2013, 01:46:30 AM »
It looks great! I have a few questions:

Also generally, will this yield relatively more or less food to the cities and townslands compared with the rurals?

^ban^ has really been the mastermind in the last few iterations; he should be the one to answer these.

Please wait at least for the 2nd to avoid confusion..... but you probably thought of that.

Well, we're going to send it live when we're confident that it's ready.

If you're worried about April Fools...that's really been Tom's thing, and from all appearances (and from what he's said to us devs), he's been too busy lately (both with M&F and RL stuff) to do anything.

(In previous years, he's done his April Fools work in such a way as to be secret even from the other devs, so...yeah, we don't really have much to do with that.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 20, 2013, 02:26:27 AM »
From what I read in previous discussions in forum and on IRC, this is a net increase in food for Dwilight, and a net decrease in food for all other continents. Dev's can feel free to correct me on that though.

This is correct.

Food is distributed away from cities and townslands.

Gold is distributed towards cities.

Total gold on each island is increased by about 10%.

Food surplus is increased only on Dwilight: it is decreased on all others -- in some cases (BT) by very large amounts. The specific amounts vary per island.

Also, BT and AT regions no longer have matching stats! :)
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 20, 2013, 03:11:55 AM »
Also, BT and AT regions no longer have matching stats! :)

Okay....you've got me to bite.

How is that possible? Aren't the continents identical except for the blight?

I guess Blight reduces trade routes or some such?
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 20, 2013, 03:17:33 AM »
There was some noise added to the final results to create some variance. This will provide a chance that any particular region could slightly above or below typical for their characteristics.

Edit: also, the coastlines of the islands are no longer identical. This affects the final calculated stats of the regions that have become coastal on BT, but are still landlocked on AT.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 03:20:21 AM by Indirik »
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 20, 2013, 03:30:33 AM »
So rurals get food, cities get gold...what can badlands expect to get? Monsters?
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 20, 2013, 03:39:44 AM »
Were population numbers changed at all?

I see a rural region on Atamara with 20k pop, (more than many cities), and some rural regions all around the 15k pop range.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 20, 2013, 03:48:56 AM »
Population was not changed. We were discussing some, but I don't think anything came of it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 20, 2013, 03:58:59 AM »
Oh okay thanks, I just remember some discussion about large outliers like the ones I mentioned being attempted to be changed, because they didn't really make much sense.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 20, 2013, 08:05:08 AM »
No idea why the city/rural food spectrum would need to be any more severe.

Reduction of surplus is going to suck because you never implemented auto trade. Camping in market regions is going to be so much fun.

Food was best when nobody cared about it, now it's a total chore and the automation is all gone.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 20, 2013, 11:44:56 AM »
I love the sound of this change! You guys rock!

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 20, 2013, 01:42:08 PM »
I am excited that my townland will now have a surplus.  I always thought it was weird that I didn't.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 20, 2013, 03:42:36 PM »
There was some noise added to the final results to create some variance. This will provide a chance that any particular region could slightly above or below typical for their characteristics.

Edit: also, the coastlines of the islands are no longer identical. This affects the final calculated stats of the regions that have become coastal on BT, but are still landlocked on AT.

They get to fish?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 20, 2013, 05:07:41 PM »
Is it bad that as soon as I saw "beginning of April" I assumed this was an April fools joke?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner