Poll

What is your LEAST favorite of the BM continents? (Explain)

Atamara
17 (30.4%)
Beluaterra
3 (5.4%)
Colonies
9 (16.1%)
Dwilight
11 (19.6%)
East Continent
12 (21.4%)
Far East
4 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: LEAST favorite  (Read 15653 times)

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: LEAST favorite
« Reply #30: May 15, 2013, 08:35:27 AM »
So, I understand your point is that there is a set of character who are not interested in gaining power, which is wrong, and that this set of characters is too powerful?

Gee, I wonder where they got all that power they didn't seek.
No, they gain power and go 'k cool that's enough I'm winning BM now'. A real medieval noble after becoming King would set out eliminating enemies within the kingdom, making new allies in his court, or expand his lands. They didn't say alright that's enough let's have a wedding.

Why the attitude by the way?

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: May 15, 2013, 08:52:40 AM »
No, they gain power and go 'k cool that's enough I'm winning BM now'. A real medieval noble after becoming King would set out eliminating enemies within the kingdom, making new allies in his court, or expand his lands. They didn't say alright that's enough let's have a wedding.

Part of this is because many within SA see "our lands" as "SA lands" as opposed to "my realm". I think this brings an interesting dynamic to Dwilight. It's not like there never were any wars among SA realms, but because other realms are more then neighbours, these tend to be more civilized affairs.

Another part of this is simply because the biggest realm are already as big as they can be. Morek couldn't take over Corsanctum, nor would Astrum, even if they wanted to. They could destroy it, but not really absorb it.

Why the attitude by the way?

Sorry about that, I've had my coffee now.  :)

I think there are many extremely ambitious nobles within SA. These nobles do flex their muscles from time to time to see their goals achieved. Warfare may not be as frequent as on other continents, but personally I do like it that way. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, I prefer Dwilight to Atamara, some people prefer Atamara to Dwilight, and then everyone has his favorite playground.

I don't think it's fair, however, to say that nothng has happened since the destruction of Everguard. Just look at the borders and realms, and it's hugely different from then, at least as different if not more than any other continent. This didn't happen randomly, it happened because nobles with ambition pushed their luck, and some won big and some lost big, as it should be.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: May 15, 2013, 12:53:42 PM »
SA only has control over the North. Your realm is in a political gridlock and can't go to many wars? Well duh, you are probably living on the far North. Dwi has been in constant war since... pretty much forever. There's always a war someone on Dwi. Just pack your stuff and go there. And, hey, surprise! If you go where there's war, you likely don't need to concern yourself with the theocracies.

If the nobles left the stale realms for the more active ones, eventually the more active ones would end up stronger than the stale ones, and the thoughts of replacing the stale ones might eventually come up. D'Hara, for example, has been in constant war since... what, July? And that doesn't seem to be about to end any time soon. Fissoa's also been at war for quite a while.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: May 15, 2013, 01:20:09 PM »
I've played on every continent, though a majority of my time has been spent in Atarmara, FEI, and to a lesser degree Dwilight/Buleterra.

Based on all of my experiences as a whole, I guess I'd say Dwilight? I had the hardest time finding a niche there that actually seemed fun and then once I did the reason why I liked the character essentially ended when the trading game changed. Of course, it was probably for the best considering what happened with the realm I was in.

I have a love/hate relationship with Atamara.

I agree with this and that opinion was formed Pre-Heorot so I'm not just being a sore loser. I've played on Atarmara since Day One and had some amazing experiences. Things also crazy stagnated and I'm not a huge fan of how the power is distributed, though they've earned it so they're welcome to it until it changes for better or worse.

Colonies is too slow for my tastes, but I never had a bad experience there. I didn't play on EC long enough to actually get a feel for it, but it was the only time I played an infiltrator and that was an interesting experience. Buleterra was a lot of fun since I got to play in the early invasions until my hero died, so no qualms there either.

I don't think I've ever not had fun on FEI that I can recall. Even when it's boring, it's not terrible, and I've enjoyed playing with most of the people I've played with there over the years, particularly with my second character.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: May 15, 2013, 04:21:14 PM »
Atamara and Dwilight are tied for me for different reasons.

Atamara always seemed like the old war islands dressed up with the smallest possible hint of medieval-y stuff, like 'o rite i am supposed to be a duke' rather than people moving pieces around a game board. The last few realms I played in all had 'team sport' atmospheres where challenging anything from a social perspective (e.g. 'we shouldn't do this because of some values we all have) rather than a game perspective (we shouldn't do this because it might cause us to not win) will get you looked at strangely.

Dwilight is like a giant mansion for parties that is 1/3 full. It has a lot of people serious about doing what Dwilight was meant to be for, but it just hasn't got the population to support it. You can't have medieval hierarchy when everybody is a lord. SA is a nice attempt and embiggening but it didn't add much for me.

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: May 15, 2013, 05:22:29 PM »
Atamara for me. With its massive alliances that always stomp on others and zero medieval atmosphere in any of the realms are usually the things I loathe the most. Words like "turn/tick" and "you guys" are often seen as in-character correspondence. Once I was even ordered to perform police work from my "orders menu"...

Anyways, I started playing BM on Atamara and always had this urge to make something useful there. Get enough incentive to get involved. I never really did. So, down with Atamara. If things get serious enough to sink something, let's take that one down!
Gregorian (Eponllyn), Baudouin (Cathay), Thaddeus (Cathay), Leopold (Niselur)

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: May 15, 2013, 05:45:14 PM »
No sinking anything Arrakis :)
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: May 15, 2013, 07:16:20 PM »
I'm going to say Atamara. "But wait!," you say, "If you hate Atamara, why do you have two characters there? Are you a hypocrite or something?"

Yes, I guess I am in a way. I have two characters on AT right now for specific reasons. One, I wanted to play in Coria because of some things I heard on the forum, plus I spent so much time clashing with Munro and Silverfire here on the forum when I was in Hammarsett that I thought it would be interesting to see what would happen with Laszlo in the same realm as they are. And in fact it's a pretty good realm, probably the best I've ever been in on AT so far.

My other character is in CE because I was curious as to what that realm was actually like to play in. I spend enough time bashing them on the forum that I felt like it would only be fair for me to experience it. It's... OK. It's not a totally silent realm, even for knights, and that's good. I see roleplays there on a regular basis. Older players go out of their way to welcome new players when they join up, which is often. I'm getting bored with the current war and may soon send the character elsewhere if I can't get him into the Senate soon (an opportunity for which may not be forthcoming), but that's another story.

The reason I say AT is the political scene is dead dull. There's war, and has been for the past couple years, but it's pretty dull and boring war. Half the rulers are fossilized to their thrones. I've never had less fun ruling a kingdom than I did on AT. The most fun I've had in the game as been on Dwilight and BT.

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: May 16, 2013, 07:59:16 AM »
Two of the original Big Three in the Northern Federation have new rulers. CE is working on dethroning #3. It's not much, but we can only do so much.

You're welcome. ;)

I like AT because most of the rulers at least wanted to have the appearance of being honorable and chivalrous. Sometimes war fails to break out because both sides were hoping for an provocation from the other side first, and nobody ends up blinking.

On EC and certain areas of Dwilight, it's pretty much expected that anyone and everyone will back-stab you if they can get away with it. That's not inherently bad, but I don't want every island to be like that.
------
qui audet vincit

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: May 16, 2013, 07:15:33 PM »
Get back to topic please...
Gregorian (Eponllyn), Baudouin (Cathay), Thaddeus (Cathay), Leopold (Niselur)

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: May 23, 2013, 07:09:59 PM »
On topic?  NEVER!

For those who dislike the Colonies (which seems no one because everyone forgets they exist) things are going to be changing.

All of the realms but one have chosen to join into an agreement which will have all the cities returned to city states.  JUST as soon as Lukon forces the last hold out into submission.

Please send Lukon all your banned Infiltrators :P

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
Re: LESS favorite
« Reply #41: May 27, 2013, 03:39:42 AM »
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Zakilevo

« Reply #42: May 27, 2013, 04:25:38 AM »
This.

Statistics shows that both EC and Atamara suck.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: May 27, 2013, 06:11:03 AM »
Statistics shows that both EC and Atamara suck.

Indeed, that is pretty much consensus.

The real interesting one is Dwilight which has the most drastic love/hate dichotomy.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: May 27, 2013, 06:12:36 AM »
And Dwilight is third-worst, so... take it with a grain of salt.

Perhaps the best islands to play in are the most controversial ones?

At a smaller scale, I can make a CE thread and immediately get a bunch of haters proclaiming how godawful CE is. Can your realm inspire such hatred? Even if it wanted to?
------
qui audet vincit