Author Topic: Simple request: male/female symbols  (Read 9500 times)

Zakilevo

Re: Simple request: male/female symbols
« Reply #15: May 06, 2011, 10:07:15 AM »
It looks pretty good I would say.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: May 06, 2011, 03:15:34 PM »
Yes, something like what was shown would help a lot, both in saving time (for the more careful) and misunderstandings.

egamma

« Reply #17: May 07, 2011, 06:42:01 AM »
I like Anaris' screenshot

Jhaelen Irsei

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: May 09, 2011, 01:26:46 PM »
sorry I didn't log much these days and didn't see the replies..

yes Anaris your screenshot is perfect. I meant a symbol or something near the character name (not the player real gender) in order to avoid a common error addressing someone as "Sir" whe she's a Lady.

If it's simple  to implement it'd be useful, but if it's a mess for whatever reason it's fine to check clicking on [userdetails] link, no problem :)

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #19: May 09, 2011, 08:34:52 PM »
I like the: "How dare you to address me as 'sir'. I am a lady."

To be honest, I do not think it is really required. It doesn't take too much time to click 'userdetails'. I use it a lot of well. I consider age important as well, as I mostly address older character by their family name, unless I have a good relation with them.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #20: May 09, 2011, 09:53:59 PM »
I think everyone who has posted in this forum can attest to at least one time in which they mistakenly called someone by the wrong gender title. And in those cases, it was most likely because they didn't check the userdetails, even after the M/F was added there. Before, it was even harder since you had to figure out from the titles in their signature, and when you had a system that gave gender neutral titles like Senator or Representative, or neutral council titles, or an unaligned noble, as well as an ambiguous name, you had a fair bit of trouble. The fact remains that not everyone is going to take the time to click on someone's family details. Why? Well, humans really are that lazy, you know. Given the option to glance up at the name's gender, hopefully less people would be so lazy as not to even look at the little sign after the name. That also begs the question of how they even know who they're writing to if they don't even read the name, but that's another matter.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #21: May 10, 2011, 05:53:37 AM »
It's not that clicking on userdetails is inconvenient, it's that when sending a letter, there is no link to click easily that leads you to the gender of the receipient(s).  You have to go to information -> character list -> control f for find -> go to userdetail and repeat, and no, I don't want to do that nor should I have to. :P
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #22: June 07, 2011, 12:06:15 AM »
So this got implemented earlier today on testing. And here's the thing: It's great when you want to talk to your noble peers without embarrassing yourself. But the symbols don't show up for adventurers (nor NPCs)

For the NPCs, not really an issue. You probably wouldn't know the difference anyway.

For adventurers, I mean, I know they're typecast as dirty and ugly, and a noble probably could care less what gender it was, but hey, some nobles like to identify the human, even if it is a commoner, correctly.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: June 07, 2011, 07:46:29 AM »
For the NPCs, not really an issue. You probably wouldn't know the difference anyway.

Assuming male and female apply to them, that is. Who's to say daimons don't reproduce entirely asexually? Perhaps they bud from one another...

Ugh, that image is so horrifying that I hope it sticks.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Jhaelen Irsei

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: June 11, 2011, 09:43:33 AM »
It's the less bizarre dev request I ever made but I'm really happy that you've implemented it! :D

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: June 11, 2011, 10:52:16 AM »
I'm not a big fan of this option. I actually like giving the wrong gender to people. It's an aspect of roleplay. I mostly don't check the userdetails for the gender of the character involved; I rather base their gender on their name. It sounds female to me? Then you're a woman. If you're not, I'm sure you'll let me know.

I think it was part of roleplay (I made these mistakes in Ibladesh all the time)... wouldn't mind seeing this option removed again. Won't complain either when it sticks around, but it will, in my opinion, take away a very tiny aspect of the game.  :)
Ardet nec consumitur.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: June 11, 2011, 05:20:58 PM »
Assuming male and female apply to them, that is. Who's to say daimons don't reproduce entirely asexually? Perhaps they bud from one another...

Ugh, that image is so horrifying that I hope it sticks.

Prudent was female. I believe there was at least another too, but I don't recall. Sherilynn doesn't really count, by my book, though.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #27: June 12, 2011, 04:27:12 PM »
I'm not a big fan of this option. I actually like giving the wrong gender to people. It's an aspect of roleplay. I mostly don't check the userdetails for the gender of the character involved; I rather base their gender on their name. It sounds female to me? Then you're a woman. If you're not, I'm sure you'll let me know.

I think it was part of roleplay (I made these mistakes in Ibladesh all the time)... wouldn't mind seeing this option removed again. Won't complain either when it sticks around, but it will, in my opinion, take away a very tiny aspect of the game.  :)

Um... wait... you want OOC misunderstandings to affect IC... and you're saying removing those will take away an aspect of the game... okay there.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: June 13, 2011, 03:38:24 PM »
Prudent was female. I believe there was at least another too, but I don't recall. Sherilynn doesn't really count, by my book, though.
I believe some of what I read indicated that Cimmerian was female, too. Always made me think of a female Conan...  ???
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.