Author Topic: The assorted bits of Aldrakar Renodin's Life  (Read 71266 times)

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: The assorted bits of Aldrakar Renodin's Life
« Reply #105: December 11, 2014, 07:12:16 PM »
Back again! I knows, It is such a very short time since! Isn't that great? I know its great. You know its Great. It means more Great Reading. For Great Glory! Reading Commence!

Roleplay from Jericho Barrons

In the great hall of Giask, Jericho waited as Margrave Aldrakar and his son rode home. He had his oath prepared and had reviewed the estate available in the metropolitan city. A shuffling and hushed voices brough his attention back, and he saw a councilor beckoning the Margrave towards him. Eager to have this done,  Jericho quickly kneeled with his hands folded at his heart and waited for the formidable man to gesture to continue. Jericho could feel the man's intense gaze burning the top of his head, his brown wavy hair ruffled in waves in front of his face as he bowed.

Jericho began with a strong voice to project his oath of fealty in the great hall, his voice ringing melodically off statues and pillars as he aimed his words at the powerful Lord before him,
"I promise on my  faith and honour to Luria Nova and my heart, to never forget the graciousness of my Lord Margrave Aldrakar Renodin for the wealth he provides, to wrest glory from any foe we may face, to never flee one step from battle and to avenge my Lord’s death or die trying. I shall also observe my homage to the people of Giask and Luria Nova respectively and promise my aim be true and fierce to all who threaten or decieve. I promise all of this on the honour of my family, the Barrons name and the Empire of Luria Nova."

At the end of his little speech, silence hung heavy and Jericho could feel his heart beating in his throat, as he waited to see how the man would react. Were his words strong enough to win this Lord's faith? He had been a loyal warrior to Asylon and had paid for it in homelessness, then he had found acceptance here and so desperately wanted to call it home. He felt as if his life hung on the dust glinting in the moonlight of this grande room and the Margrave had but to whisper a no and Jericho would be blown away in a million pieces to be scattered homeless once again over the countryside.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #106: December 11, 2014, 07:13:45 PM »
And here for the official Rp response. Hope you liked it. I did while I wrote it and will for a while I reckon. Cheers!

Home, Hearth and Fealty

The sun had dipped into the far away horizon and only its last, most enduring rays still stretched out over the vast expanse that was the world. It was a world made up of the most mesmerizing shades of gold, amber, ocher and decorated with shadows applied with the long brushstrokes of a master painter. The City gates were permitting the last of the peoples into or out of the Great City of Giask. Aldrakar was not among them.

The Riding horses had been permitted their rest in the stables and man a hand was offering them leisure. Be it grain, brushing their coats or picking clean their hooves. They were tended to with love and Aldrakar was content to follow his son Asher up the steps into the Great Hall, his clothing stained with things one can expect after a day riding through the countryside. His boots were lightly caked with mud, his extremely fine cream blouse was untied at the neck and liberally smelled of sweat. The Lurian Sun had baked on his golden head for the entirety of the day and it smelled like it. Not only that of course, the smell of Horse and Leather were there as well, making their presence known. The rest of his garb was Leather and belts and very few jewels. Who needs jewels going out riding.

He made his way up the steps and in a near constant stream attendants offered him reports, reminders, a warm but wet cloth to watch dab his face with and a slew of other things. He dealt with them in turn and efficiently, waving some away to return later. One particular attendant arrested him.  His Chamberlain, the man in charge of his Household had an urgent message for him. ''The unsworn Knight Jericho awaits your presence Master Aldrakar.'' A perfectly timed gesture towards the grand entry of the Great Hall compelled Aldrakar to follow the subtle instruction and left the other servants for what they were. Before passing through the arch that constituted the doorway he pushed his hands through his golden locks and smoothed them back but they only obeyed for a moment before falling wherever they damn well pleased.

The Great Hall was everything the word could ever cover. It was the most grand of all the Grand halls of the Golden Palace of Giask. The Seat of Former Kings, Dukes, many a Duchess and Emperors in name or title. Everything in this Hall was made of the most pristine of materials. Only the very best and not a single expense too much. It was already this way before Aldrakar took the seat of the Great City. His boots echoed like giant's steps towards the kneeling figure of a man. A man in armor and allowed to keep his arms it seemed. Aldrakar glanced to the row of guards that stood spaced along the walls. A crowd had gathered for the occasion. Many wealthy City Nobles were present, their scions, their daughters. Local, lesser Knights and a host of merchant house representatives or family heads. Even some of the ecclesiastical persuasion, but not too many of them. It was well known Aldrakar did not fancy dogma.

The Hall remained silent as Aldrakar approached the Kneeling Knight. The last of the Knights to Swear fealty onto him and fill the last of the Estates of Giask. A deliberately slow pace brought Aldrakar face to face with the brown haired man. Their were of an age, Aldrakar and Jericho. Both Handsome and Both men of War. It showed, their builds showed it. ''Da!'' Asher's voice rang clearly through the hall. Aldrakar's youngest son of some 4 summers dashed towards his father.

Aldrakar didn't turn his gaze away from Jericho but held up his hand to Asher who promptly stopped and curiously peered at the Kneeling Knight and his father.

Jericho began with a strong voice to project his oath of fealty in the great hall, his voice ringing melodically off statues and pillars as he aimed his words at the powerful Lord before him.
"I promise on my  faith and honour to Luria Nova and my heart, to never forget the graciousness of my Lord Margrave Aldrakar Renodin for the wealth he provides, to wrest glory from any foe we may face, to never flee one step from battle and to avenge my Lord’s death or die trying. I shall also observe my homage to the people of Giask and Luria Nova respectively and promise my aim be true and fierce to all who threaten or decieve. I promise all of this on the honour of my family, the Barrons name and the Empire of Luria Nova." 

As the words trailed away and their echo faded Aldrakar's face held a small smile. Like the twinkle of a bright star veiled poorly by the clouds. All eyes where on the two and the much anticipated response from the Lord of Giask and the Lord spoke.

''Sir Jericho, Knight of Giask.'' A measured pause followed. ''And to your Oath I shall hold you. Until such a time that I release you from it or death does claim you. In turn I will provide you with an upkeep suitable to your service rendered onto me. Providing enough so that you may command a company of good and loyal men in my name and do battle for the pleasure of the Realm and our Sovereign master, The Emperor.'' Aldrakar raised his chin and his face hardened with patriotic pride

''I swear to do right by you as long as your Oath is strong and shelter you in my homes, provide you cloth to garb your body in and see to the nourishment that grands you life. Justice shall be mine to give and my hand to shield you from the evil of others. This is my sacred vow onto you as Liege and I accept your Oath. The estate known as "The Noble district' is now yours by bond and oath, use it wisely.'' Aldrakar took his time to swallow and take in a lungful of air, mingled with incense.

''Sir Jericho, you do me proud and make swell my heart with hope as the future just turned to a stark Gold against the black night sky.''

Cheers filled the room as the voices of the local Nobility and all that could afford to be in their presence roared their approval like country simpletons. Sometimes, we're not all that different. We all know joy and it is always the same. Aldrakar laughed his rich and hearty laugh, placing a hand on Jericho's shoulder as he urged him to stand up. ''Don't make me kick that soft butt of yours now!'' The joke not as private as intended perhaps but those around only grinned and laughed.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #107: December 12, 2014, 06:50:26 PM »
Hey there! Ending bit (I think) of the Oath Swearing Rp. Enjoy!

Roleplay from Jericho Barrons

Kneeling, head down and with drawn breath Jericho waited until he heard the Margrave speak and pledge his own oath. It was then Jericho let out his breath in a long quiet sigh, and his shoulders visibly relaxed. Knowing he had spoke a satisfying oath and was now a Knight once more. With Aldrakar's hand on his shoulder, he was about to rise when he heard him joke about his bottom again. He heard chuckles about and so with his best flourish he stood up gracefully and bit his tongue when he almost replied that the ladies like the bottom soft and the front hard. But, remembering his place in this Great Hall and the seriousness of the oath's just spoken, instead he smiled at his Lord and allowed his happiness to beam for all to see. 

"I thank you my Lord Aldrakar. You have been most gracious to tend to me so quickly and with me interrupting  a day with your son. Now, If I may, I would like to move into my district immediately as I have been on the road for too long. The Imperial Battlemasters are gathering once again and I need to catch up. Marshal Edwyle was very understanding and excited for my opportunity here, but I am anxious to have a quick respite and get back to duty. If there are any that would like to see me to my district, I will reward them heartily with wine and dance!"

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #108: December 29, 2014, 07:01:30 PM »
Hey there! A huge story coming, by Battlemaster standards as I've experienced it at least. HUuuuuuuuge amounts of thanks and credits go to the Player of Jocelin Le Drake! Enjoy!

Auspicious and Unexpected - Aldrakar

The sun was strong today, its rays baking the roof tiles and the air danced upward in spirals distorting the world beheld through it. One of the younger officials in Aldrakar's employ, a scribe originally but his exceptional wit saw him raised beyond his peers swiftly and early on. He now ventured into the space of the Lord of Giask.

His feet sheltered in fine, soft leather shoes as they moved with a dancer's grace through the richly decorated room. All still lingering effects of the former Lords of the Great City. Like a trained assassin did he arrived near silently at Aldrakar's perch overlooking the Palatial gardens. A lush jungle of exotic plants and animals, some parts wild and some very well organized. He made a very elaborate bow that none witnessed but the eternal spirits and the sun above. ''My Lord Aldrakar, I have important news for you.'' He proffered a parchment lettered with expensive ink.

Aldrakar stretched his arms and rolled the muscles in his neck and shoulders. The chair can nearly become a bed with the sun lulling him to sleep, but not just yet. He pushed himself up and out of its embrace and faced the young man and accepted the parchment. ''Thank you Jalen.'' His eyes lazily roamed the report until his mind formed the meaning in a coherent context. Jocelin was in the Giaskian Dungeon.

''Who else knows?'' His eyes burned into Jalen. ''None sire, except the dungeon master and his staff. They are sworn to secrecy though.'' Aldrakar noted how the young man didn't mention himself. A small smile crept over his face and it quickly grew as his thoughts turned back to Jocelin. ''Clear my schedule, I won't be available tomorrow the entire day. Make suitable excuses.'' Jalen simply bowed with confidence.

Holding the parchment firmly in hand Aldrakar fled from the warm rays bathing the balcony and went straight to the dungeons to meet finally, face to face, a very special woman. On his way there his mind worked a dozen and more issues and questions, what to ask first and of course to see her removed from the prison and into his home. House arrest, not dungeon's at the very, very least.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #109: December 29, 2014, 07:01:44 PM »
-Jocelin

Far from growing more cautious as she grew older, the young noblewoman had become increasingly more reckless since the fall of Barca.  Her journey had been no accident or political statement: it was arrogance that had seen her sailing into the heart of Luria Nova.  Her goal had not been to invade or to spy, but to rise in the ranks of the Bloodmoon faith as a priestess of their Cult.  Everyone knew that the Temple in Giask was chief among places of worship in their faith, and if she was to set aside years of dedicated study as a courtier for the cloth she than she wasn't going to settle for anything less than the heart of their faith.  It wasn't her fault that it stood in Luria Nova: she'd never asked for this war, and had since washed her hands of it.

Unfortunate, then, that her citizenship had caused her to be arrested.

She stood in the center of her cell in complete silence, looking as composed as if she were waiting to present herself to the Emperor.  A fresh bruise marred an otherwise unblemished cheek, courtesy of a soldier's helmet when one of the Lurian militia knocked him into her.  Her golden stare was almost feline in the semi-dark as she watched the guardsmen pace outside her cell: the first few times they'd looked in on her, but her stare had unnerved them so much that they now kept their eyes down when they passed.  It didn't help that Jocelin was about half a head taller than most every man she met, or that --slender as she was-- she seemed to fill the space, somehow commanding attention when all she really wanted was to be left alone.

Her stubborn refusal to move lasted only until something new happened.  Far away the cell block door creaked open, and the sound of multiple footsteps approaching reached her.  Jocelin straightened the net of pearls that held her wheaten hair back and squared her shoulders.  Her chin lifted in an arrogant tilt, and she prepared herself for an argument... for if the man she thought would come was indeed approaching she expected nothing besides honeyed words and unfounded accusations.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #110: December 29, 2014, 07:02:16 PM »
Down into the Dungeon - Aldrakar

Quickly Aldrakar made his way through the chambers and levels of the Golden Palace. Sometimes this place is just too damn large! A frown marked his face and made several servants caution their step and clear the path of their Lord. The warmth the summer day struggled to penetrate this deeply into the huge structure and the spacious corridors and chambers were cool or mild compared to the temperature outside.

Dressed in a cream white blouse of very fine linen that definitively didn't equate with the simplicity of the design. Along with breeches the color of dark sand and bound along the waist with an expertly tooled leather belt set with a buckle adorned with a singular white rose engravement of sorts. His hands were clean but rough in the way that swordsmen always endure, despite oils and other balms. The only real piece of jewelry worn was a single ring on his ring hand. It bore the seal of his House and was rather spartan save for the material used, Gold.

Cresting the last bend Aldrakar descended into the Palace Dungeons where all Noble prisoners were taken in Luria Nova. The compound of the Golden Palace vast in itself and nothing lacked in scale or facilities, so also the dungeons. Guards in fine partial plate mail and crossbowmen saluted as he passed them by and his golden hair waved at them where he missed to return their salutes with a nod.

Passing through massive gated corridors and down flights of stairs it felt, as it always did, that he was traveling into the belly of some stone monster. Arriving at a guardroom the Master of the Dungeon awaited him and offered a formal bow. ''Sire, here is the report detailing the capture of Lady Jocelin.'' His gruff voice heavy with seriousness. Aldrakar forcefully moved past him and had no issue to push past the big man who was rightly startled. ''Which cell have you put her Nerick?'' Aldrakar's voice trailed away as he left Nerick the Dungeon Master behind him.

''She's in the left wing Sire!'' Nerick called after his Lord and hurried in an effort to keep up with Aldrakar. ''Master Aldrakar, she hasn't uttered a word and doesn't eat. She doesn't even -Move-!'' Nerick spoke and at the same time organized a small detail of guardsmen to accompany them. ''Don't bother Nerick, I doubt she still has a weapon on her person even though I don't presume myself safe from her wrath in whichever other form though.'' Aldrakar looked back at the big man. ''I'm not that defenseless though am I?'' A smile already present at the corners of his eyes. Nerick stammered a response but ended up chuckling and uttering the word no.

The final section lay just ahead. A large iron door was pushed open by the two guards stationed there and it ground on the hinges and made a creaking sound. Light spilled in from beyond and divided Aldrakar's angular face in two. He strode through the opening and nodded kindly at the two guards he passed. His own entourage of guardsmen he halted with a gesture of his hand and slowly came to a halt as he caught sight of the cell that held Jocelin.

Rays of star and moonlight fell in from the windows placed high in the walls that supported the vaulted ceiling. They were narrow and unreachable without ladders and even then, too thin to allow any human through, even a child. Light however was permitted freely and during day would allow any prisoner to take notice of the rising of the sun and glimpses of the sky.

Aldrakar nodded to Nerick as he indicated the heavy iron door with his eyes. The big man understood and stationed his men around the exit after which he followed his master. Aldrakar's eyes drank in the image before him as he approached the cell which held Jocelin. An impressive woman with hair the color akin to his own but hers had taken on an ethereal quality. Facial features that exuded vitality and strength, eyes that pierced and blazed like the sun, backed with a frame that spelled defiance and a certain fearlessness. If ever she suffered from lack of sleep or ailment it was entirely hidden from his knowledge with help from the dark of night and the flickering of torches.

Without a word spoken he reached a hand and Nerick placed a key into it after which the man backed away. A warm evening breeze fell through the narrow windows and to Aldrakar, it felt pleasant. More so because he unlocked the door to Jocelin's cell. As his hands worked the key and lock, his eyes glanced at the woman before him. Was this Jocelin? He noted pearls mixed in with her hair, they glittered in the starlight.

He pushed the door open and stepped away from it, offering the space to Jocelin with a gesture of his hand. ''Jocelin?'' The word strange on his tongue yet so familiar to his writing hand. ''Come, let's get you out of this place.'' He smiled reassuringly. ''Would you grace me with your presence at dinner? I'm afraid they've made too much and they always expect me to at least taste every dish they make. A titanic task I always fail at. Can I count on your help?'' He gave a wink and awaited her response.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #111: December 29, 2014, 07:02:27 PM »
-Jocelin

Even without a proper introduction, Jocelin knew him for Aldarakar the moment he said her name. She stiffened when he extended his hand, somehow growing more standoffish with hardly any effort. Her long frame swayed as she hesitated coming forward, wanting out of the cell but uncertain whether obedience would put her at an even greater disadvantage. She finally moved, stepping out of the cell with a casualness that continued to border on arrogance. In the torchlight her golden eyes studied him warily, as one who expects a blow to fall would. When she was free of the bars she curtsied, "Of course. Thank you for the invitation."

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #112: December 29, 2014, 07:02:38 PM »
From Dungeon to Dinner - Aldrakar

The Wheat haired woman curtsied and spoke her words as she had exited the cell. Turning slowly to face towards the exist Aldrakar walked with Jocelin out of the stone monster of a structure. Quite a walk still and he tried to steal a few glances of her countenance moreso because he wanted to avoid conversation for now and hoped the play would allow the woman opportunity to continue her ardent performance.  =Suffete still I see. Wonder how long that will last, hopefully not too long... I'm sure she'll become more human sooner or later.=

The thoughts made him smirk to himself and he tried to hide it by looking at the ground for the moment of weakness. Not that he counted it as weakness, rather didn't want to make her feel any more awkward.

Reaching the exist of the Giaskian Dungeon after passing far too many guards and through dozens of doors and minor gatehouses they were welcomed by a fresh but mild evening breeze. That very same breeze that earlier tried to make its entrance but was hindered by narrow, stone windows. It carried the fragrance of exotic flowers and spices. Insects sang the songs of their peoples as they formed a beautiful, natural symphony together with the songbirds perched in their homes all around the lush palatial gardens. Torches lined the walkways and lanterns could be seen like little floating orbs of light all around.

A plaza stretched out before the dungeon and bordered the palatial garden. On its opposite border rose a wing of the Golden Palace of Giask. A structure immense. A complex even with all the surrounding facilities and exterior walls. A city within a city and all splendor. Servants passed by Jocelin and Aldrakar quietly and they offered smiles and formal greetings. They were carrying scrolls and writing implements. Aldrakar smiled back at them and called one by name, a middle aged man who's name apparently was Fenris.

The couple continued their way into the Palace but were stopped by a small man. Smaller than most women even and he looked feminine himself. ''My Lord.'' He said gravely with a far too high pitched voice, attempting gravity. ''I am very sorry to inform but your son had decreed Dinner to be served outside.'' The little man's eyebrows worked almost as much as his lips as he pronounced each word. ''Is that so Luc?'' Aldrakar replied in his warm timbre and played along. ''I guess we have no choice in that case. To the gardens we go.'' Luc obviously concurred as he led the way.

Aldrakar looked at Jocelin and offered her a small smile. ''So much for being the Lord.'' he shrugged and followed Little Luc.

A central plaza somewhere in the Palatial gardens set against an artificial lake populated with beautiful waterflowers and birds was the stage of the Dinner place. The small plaza, relatively, was filled with a U shape of tables arranged facing the lake. Off to the left there was a small stone structure partially hidden by large, draping cloves of flowers hanging over it. The inside of the building glowed orange and smelled of roast. It was indeed a large barbecue and kitchen area.

The place was well lit with candles, standing torches and lanterns if not oil lamps. The chairs lining the tables were comfortable and spacious and not too heavy looking.  For company there were very few people actually. Several servants whom appeared professional and then the guards with crossbows who hid at the light's edge. No other Nobles and no waiting officials or anything, other than Little Luc of course. He at once dashed off to reprimand the servants for arranging the food in the wrong order. His words fast as lightning and he fussed a great deal.

As Luc rushed off, Aldrakar gestured to Jocelin to take a seat. Any seat it seems. Upon closer inspection one might discover the tussle of dark gold hair gently swaying as a small body was seated on a chair on the right side of the U shaped Table arrangement. A boy with his face resting on his crossed arms on the table. At the lake edge, bit to the left of center was another boy. Quite similar to the first albeit this one more energetic. Striking his own reflection with a wooden practice sword. Splashing droplets of water all over himself. A benign but worried attendant nearby, a hazel eyed woman, barely a woman? Perhaps she was Noble born.

Aldrakar remained at the entrance and waited on Jocelin to decide or indeed act. His smile remained and he took note of the Boys at the scene. Off from the garden edge serene music spilled out onto the plaza. Hidden musicians for sure.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #113: December 29, 2014, 07:04:33 PM »
-Jocelin

Her gaze softened as she regarded him in the flickering gloom between the torches, thinking herself unobserved.  Jocelin's eyes never left the back of his head, and when she did catch him looking at her she was unashamed to be caught staring.  Because of this was unaware of the many doors and gatehouses and guards they passed along the way; such was her distraction as she tried to work out just exactly how she felt towards him.  I'm justified in my anger.  She insisted, thinking of his letters.  Though he always opened with warm words, it was his accusations that remained with her.  That --primarily-- was the reason for her hostility now.  But to admit as much... she couldn't, not without sounding like a petulant child.  Yet her heart still hurt, that the man she had regarded as a friend could think her false.

What a thing, to bear a woman's grudge.

As they drew nearer the exit her thoughts became less hostile.  Handsome, She thought grudgingly, comparing the Aldrakar before her to the one she'd preconceived through his letters, And kind, kinder than I thought he'd be.  His poetic style struck her as old-fashioned, but it wasn't just that which threw her off.  As a beggar resents the richness of discarded scraps for being greater than anything tasted before, so too did she now resent him for his kindness.  It was impossible for her to conceive what it must be like to (from her perspective) not go wanting for a gentle word, but to produce them as the sun produced heat and light.  It occurred to her that there had to be something he wanted. Nothing was ever given freely.

The warm evening air and the sounds of night drew her attention away from the man in front of her.  Flowers and spices reached her nose, carried on a gentle breeze from the sea.  The palatial gardens stretched out away from them, and beyond them the Golden Palace towered.  She'd only glimpsed it the last time she was in the city; it surprised her to find that it rivaled the palace in Port Raviel.  A servant passed, and her demeanor changed so abruptly that the effect was startling; her icy glare melted into a sort of authoritative benevolence, commanding attention without speaking a word.  The slight upward curl of her lips spoke volumes in the language of tolerance and patience, while her eyes --watchful of everything-- promised swift correction should anything be caught amiss.  Every servant that met that look acknowledged it with respect and wondered only after who the golden stranger alongside their lord had been.  It was a queenly countenance so quickly established and thoroughly assimilated that it would have left another's head spinning; for Jocelin the change happened on a subconscious level.

Her head was on a swivel until they were approached by an effeminate servant with a high-pitched voice.  At the mention of his son having picked the place for dinner Jocelin smiled; she was thinking of her Ljúfa, and how she might experience something similar in a few years time.  She still wore that smile when Aldrakar looked at her, and rather than disappear altogether it merely lessened, remaining like an afterimage of the sun on the back of one's eyelids.

Another abrupt change followed their arrival in the dining grotto, but only after she saw his children in attendance.  Before she saw them she drank in their surroundings: the flowers drew her eyes first, for they were either more vibrant and fuller varieties of those that had grown in her garden in Aveston or completely new to her.  Next came the servants; she and Erasmus had never required so many in attendance of them, and when he died she'd dismissed all but a few staff to attend her in her duties as Suffete.  The servants in Port Raviel were probably as numerous as this, but still: only a few were with her at any given time, for there was still a great fear that she might lapse again into the madness that had driven her to abandon Aveston and flee to D'Hara in the first place.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #114: December 29, 2014, 07:04:55 PM »
-Jocelin

As she searched for the musicians beyond the grotto her eyes kept drifting back to Aldrakar.  Used to hosting and holding banal conversations with guest in her capacity as Suffete and wife, she found herself tongue-tied now that she was a... guest.  Jocelin had no idea what to say to a man who was both her captor and an old friend who she was meeting for the first time.

The silent lady eventually drifted toward the easiest person in the room to speak to: his son.  The tension in her shoulders visibly unknotted, and though Aldrakar was now behind her and couldn't see the genuine smile that replaced her mask her tone spoke volumes.  "Would you mind if I sat here?"  She played dumb, easing herself into a seat that a servant rushed to pull out for her.  Jocelin smoothed her skirt and then sat with her hands in her lap, looking out toward the pond at his brother.  Her confusion was almost comical, and she tapped her lips as she looked from one boy to another.  "Let me guess... you must be the older brother, am I right?"  She raised an eyebrow at him, waiting for the child to take the bait.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #115: December 29, 2014, 07:05:09 PM »
Are you the Older Brother? - Aldrakar

The golden eyed lady with pearls in her sun-kissed hair moved gracefully towards Asher whom raised his head at her approach and smiled as she sat down speaking softly to him. He looked youthful like a toddler striving to be a proper boy. Which was exactly true actually. ''Mind if I sit down here?'' the golden eyed lady asked him. Asher emphatically bobbed his head so that his dark golden locks danced all around his face. ''You can sit.'' He said with a slightly too high pitched voice as he realized he should say something to the nice lady.

His big blue eyes looked at the golden eyed lady curiously. She is pretty he thought. "Let me guess... you must be the older brother, am I right?" Asher smiled a triumphantly big smile.''Nooo, Aldrakar is.'' He pointed at the wet swordsman boy at the lake. Asher blushed bright red in embarrassment. ''I'm the younger brother, my name is Asher.'' He all but whispered his own name.

As this was unfolding Aldrakar walked up to his other son, Aldrakar II and caught his son's practice sword as it was swung backwards. ''Peace son! I think you've beaten the lake by now don't you think?'' A bit of bravado in his tone. ''Da!'' the would be warrior boy exclaimed before whirling around and bear-hugging his father's leg. Aldrakar chuckled and reached down to pick him up and carried him to the dinner table. There it seemed that Jocelin and Asher were getting quickly acquainted with one another. Aldrakar planted his firstborn son opposite of Jocelin and ruffled his hair. ''Behave now, she's Da's friend hmm?'' He looked at Jocelin with a neutral expression, perhaps worried, perhaps cautious but didn't let it linger.

Little Luc was proficient at his craft and had anticipated his moment to serve. True to his gut feeling he was ready to present a fine course of cold and warm meats, soups in small bowls and various fruits and salads. They were shown and offered and then placed on the tables. Aldrakar meanwhile took a seat opposite of Asher and thus completed the eyes 4. Jocelin next to Asher and opposite of Aldrakar II and Aldrakar the father opposite Asher and next to his son Aldrakar II.

As food was arrayed and placed on their plates Aldrakar poured wine from a decanter. It was a red wine from Sulorte and it seemed both boys also got some, albeit very little and with ample of water. He couldn't help himself making a small display of pouring Jocelin's glass with practiced ease. ''I hope it will suit your tastes'' He said onto her.

Himself he began to calmly address the food in front of him. He wasn't worried and relaxed as he tasted the various foods. A perceptive observer might discern that Aldrakar favored fruits and cold meats and didn't like the various small soups.

While the starters were served it was obvious that roast of meat and fish was coming rather soonish or perhaps exactly when they were meant to, it was little Luc overseeing the dinner after all.

''Did you boys know that Lady Jocelin is a great friend of your father? She's always been nice to me and has cared for my friends even when I couldn't.'' Both boys threw big eyes first at their father and then at Jocelin. ''Be sure to always be nice to her and make sure she feels welcome in our home alright?'' Asher was first to respond. ''You want to see Nibbles? He's a Horse! The best Horse!'' His excitement at his favorite horse easily overcoming his sense of etiquette and he looked a fountain of energy. Completely forgetting his earlier embarrassment.

Aldrakar laughed. ''Hold your horses Asher, let her eat first! There will be plenty of time for that tomorrow. Why don't we let Lady Jocelin tell us how she came to be in our City? How are you Jocelin?'' The last bit of his words the true question. Spoken with sincerity and his eyes more sad than his smile would make believe. The boys were oblivious to the signs though.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #116: December 29, 2014, 07:05:26 PM »
-Jocelin

"But I could have sworn... no?  Well, nevermind."  She looked out toward the water, smirking as she glanced sideway at the younger boy.  Jocelin leaned over the arm of her seat, whispering conspiratorily out of the corner of her mouth, "Just wait: you'll be taller, Asher.  I've now half a head on my older brother."

Very faintly she could hear the Aldrakars' conversation, carried up the low slope by the breeze.  There was a hint of wistfulness in her expression as she watched the exchange between father and son that was gone by the time they made it back to the grotto.  A dark-eyed servant came forward to discreetly take the boy's toy sword away, melting back into the knot of bodies preparing their food.  Her gaze lingered on the dark spots on Aldrakar II's clothes and drifted to the matching ones on the elder's leg.  At the introduction she smiled back, placated by the presence of the boys.  The anger was --for now-- set aside in favor of pleasant company and rich foods.

At this time the servants brought the food forth, presenting a motley of strange and familiar dishes.  She accepted a little from everything set before her, gracious in her thanks until her plate was nearly as large as the hungry boys.  Her last meal had been on the ship that had brought her into Giask, and even that had been light on account of some seasickness.  Jocelin thought nothing of it until she met Aldrakar's eyes as he leaned over to fill the glass between them.  Her face flushed hot with embarrassment, and she stuttered a thanks.  To cover for her embarrassment she reached for the wine, lingering with it on her lips to hide the red of her cheeks.  The scent of it was what made her think of Sulorte and her handsome home on the coast.  That had been before her relationship with Aldrakar had soured...

She ate quickly, hiding her prodigious appetite amongst smaller, hastier bites.  Between them she held conversations with both boys, juggling topics with the ease of a professional entertainer.  Aldrakar was much more dignified with his dinner, and was quiet for a long time.  When he did speak the boys looked at her curiously.  Not fair!  Asher cut off whatever response she would have made, and afterwards, a dilemma.  Did she tell his sons she was a prisoner?  No.

"I came because I was invited to join a Temple and become a priestess."  I wanted my life to be different.  "I was overeager and had some troubles on the dock, and your father invited me to stay for a while.  As for how I am..."  Her words trailed off.  She looked from Asher to Aldrakar II and finally Aldrakar, steadily meeting his gaze.  "I have my Ljúfa."  The boys looked confused... but to a parent, she might as we'll have admitted things were not great.  That she could admit as much after being so standoffish spoke volumes.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #117: December 29, 2014, 07:05:50 PM »
Gentle Night - Aldrakar

"I have my Ljúfa."  The boys looked confused... but to a parent, she might as we'll have admitted things were not great.  That she could admit as much after being so standoffish spoke volumes.

--

The dinner proceeded as one might've expected from a small and cozy get together albeit with a half dozen servants making everything just so much easier. Aldrakar sat back often and enjoyed the sight of Jocelin speaking with either of his sons. Where Asher was eager to show her Nibbles, his favorite horse and tell her about what kind of tricks he could do on horseback did Aldrakar II actually wait his turn more often than not. When he did speak or rather interacted with Jocelin he tried to act the host and offer her foods and advice her on what to pair with what to get the best tasting favors.

Every now and then Aldrakar would help either of his sons make a point or to rein them in. A bit of humor went a long way and where that didn't work some father worship did wonders as Aldrakar did a small trick with his hands or lifted his boys up and placed them on his knee as to keep them rooted for a while. Asher crawled under the table once to claim a spot on his father's knee which was one of the more intimate and spontaneous moments perhaps.

As the evening grew longer so did the stamina of the boys wane. Asher was barely keeping his eyes open and Aldrakar II was hugging his chair. Aldrakar swirled the last of his wine in its glass as he regarded them both and looked back at Jocelin. ''Madelin?'' Aldrakar asked into the evening and the hazel eyed, young woman appeared that previously had watched over Aldrakar II and his water fencing. ''Yes Master Aldrakar?'' She spoke with a gentle voice that hinted at a proper upbringing. Aldrakar motioned at his oldest son and handed her Asher whom she took by his tiny hand. She then collected the other son and took them both away from the grotto.

Glancing behind him Aldrakar motioned with his hand and Luc, along with 2 other servants appeared and started to clean the dishes away. Overhead the sky had cleared and a big, half moon shone brightly among a multitude of stars. ''Come, let me show you the root of those little flowers.'' Aldrakar stood up as he spoke to Jocelin and nodded at the lush coverings of flowers that hung from the little kitchen building.

He offered her his arm as he set out at a trudge and calmly made his way through the Palatial garden at night. It wasn't that dark though, every here and there stood lanterns or actual torches. Yet the overcasting branches of great trees and immense bushes and big leafed plants made it a most private walk. They passed a beautifully worked ivory Aviary that was nestled in white marble and overgrown with fragrant plants. Inside where treasures that slept quietly.

"It's good to see you are in good health, I feared I'd never actually get to see you, ever.'' His choice of words a bit awkward he realized himself and he couldn't do anything more than make an innocent smile and shrug. ''You know what I mean.'' Walking past a peach tree they glided through a veritable wall of sweet air, Aldrakar reached around Jocelin with am arm to ensure none of the vines would tangle him or her. Vines of Orchid and vines of other small flowering plants that nestled in the canopy of trees.

Their path took them past and over a small brook, it bubbled and gurgled quietly as water rushed over its shallows and tiny silver shimmering fish could be seen just under its surface. Its banks filled with bell shaped, white flowers and tropical ferns. Somewhere along their walk Aldrakar asked her. ''I'm sorry if I hurt you.'' A pause followed. ''You are not a prisoner Jocelin, you never will be to me or of me.'' He looked at her face and tried to figure out how she reacted. ''I miss the words we used to share. It feels like I know you and I only have to get used to the person I see before me but not the personality.'' He arched both eyebrows as he faced her. ''Not that -that- will be difficult.'' He smirked mischievously.

He walked for a bit wanting to savor his little tease. ''I've always said the past is the past and we should hold it dear but never let it hold us prisoner. Lets remember the past we have shared and continue in a better light, the best of lights?'' He pushed away one of the rare, huge leafs of an orchid that was just within arm's reach for him and plucked a pristine white flower from its nestled sprawl of roots and offered it to her.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #118: December 29, 2014, 07:06:15 PM »
The Lonely Girl - Jocelin

Jocelin responded eagerly to the boys' attention and gave it back pound for pound.  They spoke of horses and playing in the garden: she confessed her love of fish and painting. The golden lady finished eating long before the dinner was actually done but continued to accept the eldest brother's offerings, and when he performed a trick with his hands she took a spoon and waggled it so that it seemed to bend.  Immediately both of them wanted to learn and picked up their own.  Aldrakar II's swordsmanship held him in good stead, but it was Asher who caught on fastest to how she did it.  When they asked for more she shook her head, "My brother never taught me any of his tricks, and I only learned that from watching so often."

When their energy began flagging she lowered her voice, and finally fell silent.  Beside her Asher fought to stay upright and failed, slumping against her side.  He blinked owlishly at his father across the table, content.  Jocelin finished the last of her wine with her free hand (for her other was trapped under the sleeping boy) and leaned back in her seat.  She remained that way until Aldrakar summoned Madelin to take the boys away, and when they were gone she smiled at him.  "I don't think I need to tell you you should be proud."  It appeared as though something occurred to her then, and she looked thoughtfully at the direction the boys had gone.  "Their nurse..?"  She never finished the question.

While the staff cleared the dishes away she looked out into the gardens.  The moon had risen higher and no longer framed the flowers hanging over the entrance; instead, it reflected in the rippling surface of Aldrakar II's watery nemesis, doubling its light and beauty.  She heard Aldrakar inviting her to admire the flowers and rose, adjusting her skirts to follow.  Her hands smoothed the red cotton self-consciously as she checked for stains or crumbs; finding none, Jocelin slipped her arm through his.   Though at first she thought nothing of it, it was only when they were alone that she became acutely aware of the heat and weight of his arm against hers.  Their proximity was no closer than what she would experience with her father (or in that same vein, Rynn), but the darkness made it seem more... intimate.  The closest experience she'd had to the uncomfortable quickening of her pulse or the sudden awareness of his shape under his clothes had been with Erasmus, and even then... it was no secret that their marriage had been political, and himself twice her age.

She pushed the comparison away and let herself enjoy the walk.  The aviary they passed veritably glowed in the moonlight, and the white flowers with their dark hearts seemed to watch their passing like eyes on their vines.  Her gaze lingered on a pale blue gem with gold trim, and she reached out and touched the blossom in passing.  The scent that followed from the stirred flower made her glance back... but of course, it had disappeared into the dark.  She stored it away for later, fully intending to ask about it when Aldrakar spoke.  "It's good to see you are in good health, I feared I'd never actually get to see you, ever."  Her smile was shyer, especially when he lifted his arm over her.  Jocelin's stammered reply was unintelligible, and she was grateful for the dark that hid her blush.

When they came to the brook she stopped.  The tropical flowers were unfamiliar and out of place in her memories... but the closeness of the woods and the scent and sound of running water under the fragrance of flowers sent a wave of homesickness through her.  Her heart ached for Thysan and her ancestral estate, and the nostalgia lingered until he spoke again.  The peace that had filled her that evening was gone in an instant, replaced by resentment.  She remained silent until he stopped to pluck a flower, and when he offered it to her she hesitated, not taking it.  Her eyes were full of reproach when they met his.  "You could have trusted me."

"You've always got so much to say... yet you gloss over an apology long overdue?  I wasn't just hurt, Aldrakar: I was in the dark, and never have I needed more--" Kindness.  The word went unsaid because he already knew; had already received her letters.  She had called him cruel.  Even meeting him and realizing it for a falsehood didn't mean she was ready to forgive him.

Jocelin shook her head.  "You bring me here, and you show me such beautiful things, and all I can see is how untouched it is by the war.  And it makes my heart glad to see you and your boys safe... but do you know how many years of my life are made worthless by that knowledge?"  How many dead?  I can't even remember all their names anymore, and I swore I'd never forget.  Jocelin couldn't help it: her eyes shone wetly in the dark, and she wiped them away with the back of her hand.  She tried to speak but couldn't, turning away instead.  It was unfortunate she was so tall: the pearl net that held her hair snagged on a low-hanging branch, and her struggling only managed to tear it free.  Most of it remained intact, but a few white pearls fell away and bounded into the darkness.  Her hair --ethereal and wispy-- fell free, bound in a braid that looked to be unravelling.  She held her hairnet and made an angry sound before throwing him a dirty look that was equal parts petulant and embarrassed.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #119: December 29, 2014, 07:06:34 PM »
Together - Aldrakar

Her eyes were full of reproach when they met his.  "You could have trusted me."

--

The hum and song of the night and the gardens around them died away as her words pelted him like a sudden autumn storm. Full of hail come too early and with gusts of wind strong enough to rip away a scarf and leave the skin cold to the touch. When Jocelin turned, arrested by her emotions Aldrakar exhaled the breath he had been holding. His face no longer sported a smile and inside his chest he felt a tightness as images and memories passed his mind's eye. Battle, blood, death but also rebuilding and many, many letters of peace and war. The thoughts taking no longer than it took to release the air in his lungs slowly.

Looking at Jocelin struggle with the branches that had snared her hairnet he reached out to help as he moved in closer but he was too late to be of any use. the glow of the night danced upon her ethereal blond hair, the strands that made up the braid unraveling. He was captivated and then met her gaze. He read her pain and recognized it, his arms moving and his face a pained visage that said a slew of words without saying them. Aldrakar collected Jocelin in his arms not knowing or caring if she would struggle. His frame that of a warrior and swordsman but without many of the often associated scars by merit of luck mostly.

"I know. I cannot remember their names either. You went through a hell and you shouldered the heaviest burdens.'' a hand rising to cup the back of her head as he held her. "You are right, I wasn't there. There were other people, they are gone now and we cannot bring them back. I wanted to be there for you, I think you know that.'' He smelled her hair as they were locked together and stared up at the sky above. Swaying gently as he told her things would be alright now. Knowing that the war hadn't ended and the people were still dead. The white flower lay at their feet shrouded in their shadows.

Despite the horrors of the world and her warm tears. Aldrakar felt a spark of happiness, something he hadn't felt for a long time. During a pause in his soothing words to Jocelin he arched his eyebrows and smiled at the moon and then looked down at the top of Jocelin's head. This felt right even if it was borne from controversy.