Author Topic: Increase Family Wealth Limit  (Read 20308 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Re: Increase Family Wealth Limit
« Reply #15: October 04, 2013, 09:52:48 AM »
It fixes the Top Family feature and allows people to spend their excess gold (currently there is not enough stuff to spend gold on).

What realms are you in where you have so much excess gold that it's more useful to send it to your family (which you said was useless) rather than spending it on your character, your unit or your realm?

I'm sorry, but no. "Fixing" a useless statistic feature that most people don't even bother with is not worth the immense gold drain that these "top families" would cause in their realms if they had the opportunity to accumulate more near-useless family wealth.

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: October 04, 2013, 10:10:30 AM »
Any realm that's been around a bit has enough gold to equip it's nobles with huge units. That's why you see everyone running around with 800CS units at minimum, with standing orders urging anyone with less to contact the council for gold. There is no risk of immense gold drain and even if there were it would be beneficial because there's too much gold. This has been discussed a ton already and is common knowledge on the forum.

What realms are you in where you have so much excess gold that it's more useful to send it to your family (which you said was useless) rather than spending it on your character, your unit or your realm?

I have a character with 1,500 gold who's actively fighting a war but makes more money than she spends on her unit. She even suicides her unit every so often for the honour gain, so that she can recruit an even bigger unit next time, but it's not enough. She offered someone gold once and was refused. She's handed out large sums for no reason. Doesn't make a dent. Occasions for philanthropy aren't frequent enough for them to matter very much, because everyone else is rich as well.

I have another character with 2,500 gold. His realm is at peace and everyone in it has huge units anyway, so there is nothing for him to spend it on.

I have a third character who had 1,500 gold until he sent 1k of it home and raised me to the wealth cap. Now I'm at the wealth cap, and he still has enough gold to purchase huge massive gargantuan units for eternity because his income is so high.

*I should note that none of my characters have particularly cushy positions. I've never been a duke or operated a region with more than 300 gold. My experience is nowhere near what truly rich characters must go through. I can only imagine how much gold dukes have on them. (probably 50,000)

Zakilevo

« Reply #17: October 04, 2013, 10:16:44 AM »
So at the end, you want the gold limit to be raised for your own sake. Great.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #18: October 04, 2013, 11:02:54 AM »
Counterproposal: Reduce family wealth by 10% every month. That way, only those who can afford it will STAY in the top 20. If that isn't enough, make it 20%, 30%, 90%. We can easily base it on how much you have (0% for those < 5k, starting at 5k it increases until it hits whatever the max % is at 20k).

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: October 04, 2013, 12:48:58 PM »
Counterproposal: Reduce family wealth by 10% every month. That way, only those who can afford it will STAY in the top 20. If that isn't enough, make it 20%, 30%, 90%. We can easily base it on how much you have (0% for those < 5k, starting at 5k it increases until it hits whatever the max % is at 20k).

That would take longer to code and no one would bother with family wealth and everyone would have 10,000 gold on all of their characters because there'd be no sane place else to put it.

So at the end, you want the gold limit to be raised for your own sake. Great.

No I wrote a bunch of other stuff before that last post. That last post was a reply to specific questions. Please read the thread before responding.

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: October 04, 2013, 12:50:35 PM »
Also if you all hate the Top Families page so much you should just delete it.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #21: October 04, 2013, 01:27:12 PM »
I'm sorry, but no. "Fixing" a useless statistic feature that most people don't even bother with is not worth the immense gold drain that these "top families" would cause in their realms if they had the opportunity to accumulate more near-useless family wealth.
Is gold draining really a problem? If you want to drain gold for the sake of your own family 'status', why not? If that leaves the realm with too little reserves to win a war, you probably made the wrong decision. Real history is full with accounts of great useless expenditures of kings and lords that bankrupted their realm, land, duchy or barony. While it isn't possible to go bankrupt in Battlemaster, I think making family wealth limitless will make gold circulating in-game more scarce. Which is interesting for war.

About gold in general, the fact that everyone is just giving it away for the 'benefit of the realm' is also not very historically correct. In real life it has more value, which creates more intrigue around it. I think it would be an interesting discussion how we can increase the value of gold, to make people want to go to war over it.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #22: October 04, 2013, 03:50:42 PM »
That would take longer to code

Yes, about 2 minutes. Seriously, that's about 5 lines of code.

no one would bother with family wealth

wrong. nobody would bother with excessive family wealth, except the same people who already do, just to get into the top list.

I'm writing this up as a proper feature request.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: October 04, 2013, 05:45:37 PM »
Counter- counter- proposal: No maximum.

Unless I'm missing something (I probably am) it seems like a pointless restriction.

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: October 04, 2013, 09:02:28 PM »
There is no point to the restriction, but try explaining that to people who do not care about family wealth at best and at worst regard people with high family wealth as power gamers who are screwing their realms and reaching the limit out of malice.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: October 04, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
There is no point to the restriction, but try explaining that to people who do not care about family wealth at best and at worst regard people with high family wealth as power gamers who are screwing their realms and reaching the limit out of malice.

So let them think that. Nobody ever got rich by trying to please everyone.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #26: October 04, 2013, 11:44:14 PM »
There is no point to the restriction,

There is a point to the restriction - to make sure the amount of gold sucked out of the game is not infinite. It is designed as a money sink, but it shouldn't be a bottomless pit.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: October 06, 2013, 11:12:59 PM »
Counter- counter- proposal: No maximum.

Unless I'm missing something (I probably am) it seems like a pointless restriction.

Also, it is a real pain to store infinite numbers in a database.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: October 07, 2013, 03:16:15 PM »
Ok, but is it really infinite? It seems like only a handful of players even care about the family wealth rankings, and if those few want to put all of their gold into family wealth, let them. Most players don't do that because there are more interesting things they can do with their gold, like building an army. Still it's a game about choices. There's no wealth cap in life and I don't think there ought to be one in the game either. I do however like the idea of giving players more things to spend their money on.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: October 07, 2013, 03:22:02 PM »
Ok, but is it really infinite?

There's no wealth cap in life and I don't think there ought to be one in the game either.

Reread what you wrote, mate, and think about it a little, and I think you'll have answered your own question ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan