Author Topic: Rebalance Feedback  (Read 27758 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Rebalance Feedback
« Topic Start: December 25, 2013, 10:43:01 PM »
Please post your feedback on the just-released rebalance.

Please note that while we are sympathetic to people whose regions or realms ended up losing out, we will not simply be making changes because people complain. The only way to avoid some regions losing out is to simply increase stats across the board, which is not a reasonable way to achieve the goals of the rebalance.

This does not mean that we will not change anything, however. If a situation is brought to our attention where a given area has become both unable to feed itself and unable to purchase the food required, or something similar to that, we will give it serious consideration. We have done a number of spot-checks and reining in of outliers (regions both vastly too rich and devastatingly poor), but we do not know the "normal" nature of all the regions in the game, and we did not have time to investigate all the changes by ourselves, so something may have slipped by us.

Finally, let me make clear that overall, every continent has been adjusted to have approximately a 25% food surplus (island-wide) and approximately a 10% boost in total gold. (And yes, we know that gold is already abundant—we have some other plans that will help with that, but they take more time and care to implement.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
Re: Rebalance Feedback
« Reply #1: December 25, 2013, 11:25:54 PM »
As I wrote elsewhere, Desert of Silhouettes on Dwilight is down to producing 34 (!) gold. I was merely curious if this was intentional or something that has been forgotten or how the general thinking went on incredibly poor regions.

Haven't noticed any trouble except that yet!
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 25, 2013, 11:38:59 PM »
It is not our intention that, over the long run, there be any regions that are truly more trouble to take and keep than they will ever be worth.

We do know about regions like the Desert, and we have some ideas for how to make them less unpalatable. At present, without additional goods to produce, our thinking is that if it can't be a region that's economically valuable, it should be a region that's strategically valuable.

We do not have all the details worked out yet, however.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

« Reply #3: December 25, 2013, 11:51:07 PM »
In my opinion, there should be regions which are considered useless. Those can be used to form natural borders.

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: December 25, 2013, 11:58:02 PM »
In my opinion, there should be regions which are considered useless. Those can be used to form natural borders.

Sure, they can create "natural borders" which is wonderful in real life but why is it good in battlemaster?

Natural borders lessen conflict and conflict is what's fun in battlemaster ;)

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 26, 2013, 01:38:31 AM »
I'm reserving most judgement on the rebalance until I can see the realm statistics change. So far it seems like a nice bump in the right direction, but who knows what it will do. More food will certainly effect the food market, but with gold coming in to different regions it might drive the price up.

I am flabbergasted at the Divides (I'm assuming other mountains as well), though. They were such bad regions I had ignored them mostly. Now they are economic jewels. That might change some things. Places like the Desert are fine, though. Everyone has ample lordships/estates, so why not leave it rogue? Do people really travel it that often or need the room? It's a piece on the board, yeah, but not all pieces have to be yours.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

trying

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 26, 2013, 03:36:48 AM »
Hmm. I see more rurals and woodlands that are richer than cities and cities that make more food than rurals. Don't know what kind of impact that will have yet though.

NireusD.Natalle

• Noble Lord
  • Conan must truly be Conan The Destroyer..
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 26, 2013, 04:05:51 AM »
I see many region in Beluaterra lost gold and food while region in Dwlight gain more gold. Especially mountain. North Divide before this only produce 100+ but increase greatly to 1100+ gold..

This rebalance should be changed. I personally see the post-rebalance as more good rebalance.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 04:38:44 AM by NireusD.Natalle »
Nireus D.Natalle (East Island), Arianna Sherry (Beluaterra), Calista Syrenne (Dwilight), Charlotte Ava (Sunken Vur Hagin)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 26, 2013, 04:47:08 AM »
I see many region in Beluaterra lost gold and food while region in Dwlight gain more gold. Especially mountain. North Divide before this only produce 100+ but increase greatly to 1100+ gold.. I only see this as sabotage to make everyone leave Beluatera and emigrate to Dwlight. Then Beluaterra will be sank right?

No, not even a little bit.

The rebalance is just the rebalance. It has nothing whatsoever to do with sinking or not sinking an island.

Dwilight's mountains before the rebalance were utter crap. They had about 1/5 the population of any mountain regions on other continents (at best).

Beluaterra went down a lot in food production, because it was in a state of massive permanent surplus due to losing a bunch of cities in the Last Invasion. As I said above, every continent gained approximately 10% more gold production overall, so your observation about BT's gold simply isn't even true.

This rebalance should be changed. I personally see the post-rebalance as more good rebalance.

There will likely be more changes at some point in the future; however, I do not anticipate anything more than localized tweaks in the next few weeks.

The rebalance is certainly not going to be rolled back unless some sort of massive systemic problem with it is discovered.
Timothy Collett

Bhranthan

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: December 26, 2013, 11:39:14 AM »
First of all thank you!
This must have taken quite the planning and discussion.
The game needs an overhaul as you(the dev team) have been working.

However to comment on the recent changes fully, it would be handy if more information is disclosed concerning the changes to come.
I have heard some references to planned features that will offer more options to invest gold, or increase prices.
Most likley, there are also changes planned that will influence how food is handled etc.
And as Timothy already disclosed, economy will eventually become broader, with different resources needed for various investments which will also change the way we have to judge the current changes.

All in all i am exited about the changes, yet find it hard to evaluate, or judge them as i miss the bigger picture.
Some more disclosure on the coming features and changes would be very helpful.
Ofcourse we also want to hear what island will sink :)
Brutus the Brute - Kleptes the Thief - Atreus the Brave - Alucina the Lucid

NireusD.Natalle

• Noble Lord
  • Conan must truly be Conan The Destroyer..
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: December 26, 2013, 12:45:35 PM »
I  hope Dwilight will be sink..
Nireus D.Natalle (East Island), Arianna Sherry (Beluaterra), Calista Syrenne (Dwilight), Charlotte Ava (Sunken Vur Hagin)

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #11: December 26, 2013, 01:11:49 PM »
I got coal for Christmas. Rettleville (Dwilight) needs to feed 4.500 more peasants with a 300 gold tax loss. Similar cities produce much more than 778 gold, such as Koshtlom, Shinnen, Fissoa, Chrysantalys & Sallowtown (both with an even smaller population). Besides that, 35% of all townslands are richer than Rettleville, while even more are more valuable because they do produce food, and Rettleville needs to import it. To complete the list, 5 mountain regions and two strongholds have a larger income while some don't even have half the population of Rettleville. This just doesn't sound very fair.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: December 26, 2013, 04:51:36 PM »
I  hope Dwilight will be sink..

You're probably quite alone in that opinion considering that Dwilight always ends up on top as the most popular continent.

I got coal for Christmas. Rettleville (Dwilight) needs to feed 4.500 more peasants with a 300 gold tax loss. Similar cities produce much more than 778 gold, such as Koshtlom, Shinnen, Fissoa, Chrysantalys & Sallowtown (both with an even smaller population). Besides that, 35% of all townslands are richer than Rettleville, while even more are more valuable because they do produce food, and Rettleville needs to import it. To complete the list, 5 mountain regions and two strongholds have a larger income while some don't even have half the population of Rettleville. This just doesn't sound very fair.

I'm sorry to hear of your...coal. Sadly some lose out by this balance change. But as sympathetic as I am, I wish to remind you that population size does not equal absolute wealth in the real world either. Iran is about as wealthy as Sweden in absolute terms, but has 8 times the population. Ukraine is about as wealthy as Romania in absolute terms but has more than twice the population, just to take two examples.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: December 27, 2013, 03:49:52 AM »
I'm reserving most judgement on the rebalance until I can see the realm statistics change. So far it seems like a nice bump in the right direction, but who knows what it will do. More food will certainly effect the food market, but with gold coming in to different regions it might drive the price up.

I am flabbergasted at the Divides (I'm assuming other mountains as well), though. They were such bad regions I had ignored them mostly. Now they are economic jewels. That might change some things. Places like the Desert are fine, though. Everyone has ample lordships/estates, so why not leave it rogue? Do people really travel it that often or need the room? It's a piece on the board, yeah, but not all pieces have to be yours.

Yea, I'd like to see the results up on the statistics page...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: December 27, 2013, 05:51:17 AM »
I was wondering.. Many woodland regions on EC got 1k+ gold income, with the added ability to feed themselves and to some extent export food. So did woodlands on other islands also got overhauled?
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.