Author Topic: Rebalance Feedback  (Read 28111 times)

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
Re: Rebalance Feedback
« Reply #15: December 27, 2013, 07:46:29 AM »
Most of the woodlands I've checked out on Dwilight so far seem to have gotten a nerf in food production (50% less?) and either a slight decrease in gold, or a slight increase in gold production, depending.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #16: December 27, 2013, 12:31:40 PM »
I'm sorry to hear of your...coal. Sadly some lose out by this balance change. But as sympathetic as I am, I wish to remind you that population size does not equal absolute wealth in the real world either. Iran is about as wealthy as Sweden in absolute terms, but has 8 times the population. Ukraine is about as wealthy as Romania in absolute terms but has more than twice the population, just to take two examples.
That indeed doesn't apply to the real world, however when comparing similar regions with each other, knowing that the rebalance are based on the statistics of each region, I simply didn't expect such difference between regions that are very similar.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: December 27, 2013, 01:54:27 PM »
Would it be possible to get up to date realm statistics so we have a more graphical way to see how this balance has affected things? Or a nice graph with food/gold production per part of the continents. As it's a game afterall, I would like to see that some parts of the continent aren't favored too much regarding gold/food income above other parts.

I hope that you already have such a picture and it can easily be shared with us.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: December 27, 2013, 04:35:51 PM »
I was wondering.. Many woodland regions on EC got 1k+ gold income, with the added ability to feed themselves and to some extent export food. So did woodlands on other islands also got overhauled?

No, Cren, "many" woodland regions on EC did not get 1k+ gold income. Two did, and they are woodlands with populations larger than many cities in the game.

In the rebalance, population matters a lot. If you have a lot of people, you end up with a lot of production.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: December 27, 2013, 04:37:58 PM »
Would it be possible to get up to date realm statistics so we have a more graphical way to see how this balance has affected things? Or a nice graph with food/gold production per part of the continents. As it's a game afterall, I would like to see that some parts of the continent aren't favored too much regarding gold/food income above other parts.

I hope that you already have such a picture and it can easily be shared with us.

Unfortunately, we don't have such a graph, and there's no consistent way to break up "parts" of the continents to aggregate food/gold production over. (If there were, believe me, I would have done it; that would have been really useful when analyzing the numbers.)

The only major subdivisions the continents really have is realms, and since we are explicitly not balancing the numbers based on realms, it seemed like a bad idea to use them as part of our analysis.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: December 27, 2013, 04:41:20 PM »
I got coal for Christmas. Rettleville (Dwilight) needs to feed 4.500 more peasants with a 300 gold tax loss.

I'm afraid Rettleville was a victim of crime.

When working on the rebalance, we found that cities started to become totally absurdly wealthy when they got to high population densities. So crime was added to balance that out. Rettleville is unfortunate in that it is very small (in terms of area), but not especially high-production, so it got a fair amount of crime, but not much actual gold.

Sorry. :-\
Timothy Collett

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: December 28, 2013, 02:40:11 AM »

When working on the rebalance, we found that cities started to become totally absurdly wealthy when they got to high population densities. So crime was added to balance that out. Rettleville is unfortunate in that it is very small (in terms of area), but not especially high-production, so it got a fair amount of crime, but not much actual gold.

Wait what?

Can a crime stat be displayed?

Also, on regional aggregation: you might try aggregating by weather area. Is that not feasible?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

egamma

« Reply #22: December 28, 2013, 03:37:37 AM »
Wait what?

Can a crime stat be displayed?

Population density information is available in the game already.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: December 28, 2013, 07:24:06 AM »
Population density information is available in the game already.
That doesn't tell you effects of crime though, just population density.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: December 28, 2013, 04:39:14 PM »
So with the change in gold values the amount needed for family investments has also changed, right?
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: December 28, 2013, 04:39:42 PM »
So with the change in gold values the amount needed for family investments has also changed, right?

Yes, that should be the case.
Timothy Collett

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: December 29, 2013, 12:30:48 AM »

This shows the changes on Dwilight by climate region.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B85AasBw9ZoxekNkUDY1TU1aWW8/edit?usp=sharing

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: December 29, 2013, 04:49:22 AM »

This is hilariously wrong. Dwilight had overall food production greatly increased, not decreased.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: December 29, 2013, 06:20:22 AM »
It's compared to the levels back in April or May.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #29: December 29, 2013, 12:48:15 PM »

Rettleville wasn't wealthy to begin with. So the crime you added greatly affects small cities as well.

The only realm in the South Forest region in Barca. While everyone has seen an increase in wealth, we are the only one who lost wealth.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar