Author Topic: Rebalance Feedback  (Read 28118 times)

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Rebalance Feedback
« Reply #30: December 29, 2013, 01:12:47 PM »
The only realm in the South Forest region in Barca. While everyone has seen an increase in wealth, we are the only one who lost wealth.
Asylon, Niselur and Phantaria also lost gold.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: December 29, 2013, 01:13:17 PM »
The only realm in the South Forest region in Barca. While everyone has seen an increase in wealth, we are the only one who lost wealth.

Niselur also lost wealth, still hoping for official numbers from the devs.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: December 29, 2013, 04:21:56 PM »
The game tracks statistics for food and the like, but doesn't display them for a week. This means that the stats are there, since the game isn't able of divination to see into the past, it relies on records it enters every day, even if it doesn't share them for a while. The devs should have access to this table and thus be able to rather easily produce the stats by realm for all to see and judge.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #33: December 29, 2013, 04:41:38 PM »
Asylon, Niselur and Phantaria also lost gold.
Looking at the chart you provided, by climate regions, Barca is the most apparent one.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: December 29, 2013, 04:51:21 PM »
Looking at the chart you provided, by climate regions, Barca is the most apparent one.

If you click the link underneath it, you can see the spreadsheet I used with the realm and region-level data.

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: December 29, 2013, 07:03:33 PM »
Before I file anything in the bugtracker that might be caused by the rebalance, did any of the rest of you notice production changing in your regions but the official morning reports saying "unchanged"?

In Balance's Retreat, it has said no change for the last 12 days or so but it has in fact dropped 4 percentage units in production. From 99 to 95.
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: December 30, 2013, 07:34:39 AM »
Before I file anything in the bugtracker that might be caused by the rebalance, did any of the rest of you notice production changing in your regions but the official morning reports saying "unchanged"?

In Balance's Retreat, it has said no change for the last 12 days or so but it has in fact dropped 4 percentage units in production. From 99 to 95.
I believe the only time it will say it has changed is when the words change, like thriving to busy.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #37: December 30, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
If you click the link underneath it, you can see the spreadsheet I used with the realm and region-level data.
Great spreadsheet. I used it and added a few values for the cities, such as total population and the population density at total population, and used that to change the value of GPC post. Then you see that a higher population density doesn't mean a lower GPC. With the added crime at high population density you would think this should imply, but seemingly it doesn't.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: December 30, 2013, 06:01:38 PM »
Then you see that a higher population density doesn't mean a lower GPC. With the added crime at high population density you would think this should imply, but seemingly it doesn't.
There is very little in the regional economy calculations as simple as  "Higher density > More crime > Less gold". There are quite a few dependencies that interact with each other to produce the final numbers. It's been a while since I looked at the actual code for it, and ^ban^ and Anaris probably changed it quite a bit since then, but there could be triggers in there where pop density doesn't cause crime until it hits a certain threshold. And how much crime is produced at any particular density could depend on the region type, or the presence of a particular subtype.

Also, comparing two regions and expecting the numbers to correlate is rarely going to work. Two regions that you may think are fairly similar could yield quite different results. The final values depend on so many things that are seemingly insignificant, or non-obvious details that could have a huge impact. For example: the length of the coastline, the percentage of the border that is coastline, the *type* of coast (river, lake, ocean), the Location of the region, pop density, etc. If one of these shifts, then the population works in different sectors, each of which has its own gold and food producing stats.

It's a fairly complex system that does not easily yield its inner mechanisms to external observation.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

sharkattack

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: December 30, 2013, 07:21:47 PM »
I have seen some cities in Astrum and Morek gain huge gold boost cca 800+, while some cities down south and west didnt get almost any. Is there a reason why some northern regions gained huge gold boost?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: December 30, 2013, 09:00:23 PM »
I have seen some cities in Astrum and Morek gain huge gold boost cca 800+, while some cities down south and west didnt get almost any. Is there a reason why some northern regions gained huge gold boost?

For the umpteenth time, the dev team did not in any way consider realm affiliation when adjusting the numbers for the rebalance. So no, there's no reason why some northern regions gained a huge gold boost, or some southern regions gained a huge food boost, or any other such accusatory, discriminatory statement.

For the most part, we didn't even look at individual regions at all. We adjusted the formulas for the rebalance so that the regional averages and the continental totals hit certain targets, then we looked for outliers and tried to rein them in somewhat (regions that were extremely rich or extremely poor).

The rebalance may end up causing your realm inconvenience or peril. It may end up relieving a minor nuisance or saving it from destruction. None of that was important to us in designing the rebalance. We knew that some places would win and others would lose, and there's absolutely no way to avoid that to make the entire system fair, and have a set of formulae we can use to ensure the game is, at least to the best of our ability, balanced.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

egamma

« Reply #41: December 31, 2013, 01:42:35 PM »
For the umpteenth time, the dev team did not in any way consider realm affiliation when adjusting the numbers for the rebalance. So no, there's no reason why some northern regions gained a huge gold boost, or some southern regions gained a huge food boost, or any other such accusatory, discriminatory statement.

All he was doing is asking what the reason was. For that, you should simply point him at Indirik's post:

Also, comparing two regions and expecting the numbers to correlate is rarely going to work. Two regions that you may think are fairly similar could yield quite different results. The final values depend on so many things that are seemingly insignificant, or non-obvious details that could have a huge impact. For example: the length of the coastline, the percentage of the border that is coastline, the *type* of coast (river, lake, ocean), the Location of the region, pop density, etc. If one of these shifts, then the population works in different sectors, each of which has its own gold and food producing stats.

It's a fairly complex system that does not easily yield its inner mechanisms to external observation.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: January 03, 2014, 07:08:38 AM »
Not sure this is a 25% surplus for FEI:

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: January 03, 2014, 07:15:29 AM »
I took a "visual data" course a few years ago, and I'm pretty sure this is what's known as a cluster!@#$.

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: January 03, 2014, 12:51:29 PM »
This was my initial thought about FEI too, but now I'm not so sure.

Some of the realms were running huge surpluses of food before the re-balance. The more southern regions have never been fantastic in terms of food production, so this might just represent a more balanced leveling out of food production in the northern and northern-central regions when it's taken over the long term (rather than the very short period that's showing the sudden downward spike here).

Combined with the seasonal variations in FEI, it'll be difficult to decide conclusively until we see more data.