Author Topic: Declare "Enemy of the Realm"  (Read 5281 times)

Bendix

• Knight
    • View Profile
Declare "Enemy of the Realm"
« Topic Start: January 24, 2014, 01:55:27 AM »
The idea is simple enough: grant either the Ruler or Judge the ability to name a foreign Noble as an "Enemy of the Realm", and therefore prevent them from joining said realm. Instead of having to ban Nobles that join the realms of their enemies with malicious purpose, it would prevent them from doing so at all.

A few possible caveats that would make it interesting:

-Could only be done once per day (every two turns), or have some time-based restriction.
-The Noble invoking the ban loses points of honor and/or prestige by doing so. The higher the honor and/or prestige of the Noble being declared as an enemy, the greater the loss on the Ruler/Judge who does so.
-Could only be done against Nobles of foreign realms that are 'Peace' or lower in diplomacy, or some other diplomacy-based restriction.
-Could not be done against Diplomats.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:58:13 AM by Bendix »

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Declare "Enemy of the Realm"
« Reply #1: January 24, 2014, 02:01:44 AM »
The feature you're looking for is, quite simply, a ban. Yes, it's only possible in certain circumstances, and there are reasons for that.

I really, seriously doubt we'd ever implement something like this that is a nearly total duplicate in functionality of an existing feature.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 24, 2014, 02:51:51 AM »
Indeed, why bother losing h/p over someting you could easily do for free the moment the guy joins you?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 26, 2014, 03:08:02 AM »
For RP reasons. There are a half dozen nobles on FEI that Velax has declared Enemies of the Empire. He'd happily have a game mechanic way of declaring them thus as well.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 26, 2014, 07:51:21 AM »
For RP reasons. There are a half dozen nobles on FEI that Velax has declared Enemies of the Empire. He'd happily have a game mechanic way of declaring them thus as well.
For RP reasons is a poor reason as it can simply be roleplayed then as you already are. Its a waste of dev time to create a feature that has basically no use as it can already be done via roleplaying/sending letters which is certainly preferred by the devs instead of people replacing interaction with button clicking.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 26, 2014, 07:58:18 AM »
I didn't say it should be implemented for RP reasons. I said that if it were, I would "bother losing H/P" using it for RP reasons. And if that's the reason I chose in this hypothetical situation, it's not really up to you to decree it poor, awesome or otherwise.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 26, 2014, 08:03:42 AM »
I didn't say it should be implemented for RP reasons. I said that if it were, I would "bother losing H/P" using it for RP reasons. And if that's the reason I chose in this hypothetical situation, it's not really up to you to decree it poor, awesome or otherwise.
My apologies, that wasn't clear. Nonetheless, there is no good reason to implement it. If we had unlimited devs, sure it would be an ok feature to implement but we don't.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 26, 2014, 11:32:24 AM »
Its game breaking. Enemy noble in your dungeon? "Declare enemy, execute." Would really make wars pretty bitter.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 26, 2014, 12:51:25 PM »
Its game breaking. Enemy noble in your dungeon? "Declare enemy, execute." Would really make wars pretty bitter.

I don't think that's the point at all, and in fact should not be part of the mechanic. If it were, I'd agree with you it would be game-breaking.

What's requested is a way to deny to the enemy noble the opportunity to join the realm.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #9: January 26, 2014, 01:58:16 PM »
I think what the OP wants is the ability to ban people even when they're not currently part of the realm. That would solve pretty much everything.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 26, 2014, 05:05:28 PM »
I don't think that's the point at all, and in fact should not be part of the mechanic. If it were, I'd agree with you it would be game-breaking.

What's requested is a way to deny to the enemy noble the opportunity to join the realm.

It would have to be a separate mechanic from a ban, because if it operated as one, that possibility is there. Whether its the point or not, if its doable, it will be done. Though honestly there are times where all of us wish we could just execute anyone and everyone we can lay our hands on (from enemy realms).
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 26, 2014, 10:35:48 PM »
It would have to be a separate mechanic from a ban,

Yes, indeed.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Bendix

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: January 30, 2014, 03:56:34 AM »
My intent here is just to brainstorm and see what sticks. Really, I just feel its a missing component of international relations- there should be a way for a ruler/government to say "We don't like this person. They cannot seek refuge in our lands."

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: February 03, 2014, 08:59:29 PM »
I think what the OP wants is the ability to ban people even when they're not currently part of the realm. That would solve pretty much everything.

Is this possible?  I would even go for a restriction to former realm members.  I find it interesting that a noble who betrays the realm when they leave is immune to banning, deportation and execution so long as they do not do any illegal acts afterwards.  A duke can convert his entire duchy to the enemy realm and if arrested later in battle, the 'enemy of the realm' can't be touched.  In reality that noble would be executed on the spot.  Or after some torture.

Forbes Family

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: February 10, 2014, 12:45:35 AM »
This could be really cool if you expanded it a bit and if someone from the realm that issued the declaration would automatically enter into battle if they were in the same region as the "enemy of state".
Forbes Family