Author Topic: Character Creation broken  (Read 2223 times)

Qyasogk

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Character Creation broken
« Topic Start: February 20, 2014, 08:03:33 PM »
I just realized I had some new character slots unlocked. So I went to go and try and create a new noble. The part where you select the continent does not react to the "next" button push, so I'm unable to choose a realm or anything after that state. I tried this in both Chrome and Firefox and got the same result.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Character Creation broken
« Reply #1: February 20, 2014, 08:05:48 PM »
Do you mean that you selected a continent, and the Next button did not work, or you could not reach that section?

And if the former, which continent did you select?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Qyasogk

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 20, 2014, 08:29:27 PM »
I selected multiple continents, no difference. The next button did not work. The realm part only becomes available after its detected that you've selected a continent. As its unable to to detect that I've selected a continent, I was able to go no further.

I ended up having to use the old character creation method. But it doesn't help us recruit new players when the first thing they see is broken, right?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 20, 2014, 08:30:38 PM »
No, indeed. Thanks for the information.

I'll look into this as soon as I can.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 20, 2014, 08:50:36 PM »
I've tried this out, and have been unable to reproduce the behaviour you describe.

(Stupid question time:) Are you certain that you do not have NoScript or any other utility that could be preventing JavaScript from running correctly on your browsers?

When you go to the new character creation screen, do you see each section of it separately, with the rest collapsed into a single line, or do you scroll down through all of them?
Timothy Collett

Qyasogk

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 20, 2014, 10:02:20 PM »
I've tried this out, and have been unable to reproduce the behaviour you describe.

(Stupid question time:) Are you certain that you do not have NoScript or any other utility that could be preventing JavaScript from running correctly on your browsers?

When you go to the new character creation screen, do you see each section of it separately, with the rest collapsed into a single line, or do you scroll down through all of them?

I'm in a computer lab, on an iMac. Both browsers are stock with no plugins... Unfortunately, since I've created a new character, I don't have access to the character creation page anymore.

When I was there, all the steps were visible, but past the realm selection, the text indicated that I needed to pick a realm first. There was also a graphic at the bottom that was broken that looked like it was trying to format my new character, but was not displaying the information in the boxes I'd entered.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 20, 2014, 10:03:37 PM »
When I was there, all the steps were visible, but past the realm selection, the text indicated that I needed to pick a realm first. There was also a graphic at the bottom that was broken that looked like it was trying to format my new character, but was not displaying the information in the boxes I'd entered.

That is an indication that JavaScript was not working. It is required for the new character creation process.

If this was a computer lab, the browsers may have been set up with some unnecessarily strict security policy that blocks the JavaScript necessary to run the character creation page.
Timothy Collett

Qyasogk

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: February 21, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
If this was a computer lab, the browsers may have been set up with some unnecessarily strict security policy that blocks the JavaScript necessary to run the character creation page.

That might've been the case for Safari, whose default settings are strict, but not for Chrome or Firefox, where the defaults are enabled to allow Javascript (I checked).

Eirikr

« Reply #8: February 21, 2014, 10:24:26 PM »
That might've been the case for Safari, whose default settings are strict, but not for Chrome or Firefox, where the defaults are enabled to allow Javascript (I checked).

The network administrator may also have placed a rule to block Javascript. This would not be browser-dependent.