Author Topic: War Island Realm Flavours  (Read 27484 times)

Medevandalist

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Re: War Island Realm Flavours
« Reply #15: May 17, 2014, 12:59:39 PM »
Ikalak seems to be using Lasanar's old banner here, and Tasalek is using Ikalak's correct banner. Also, where is Toren? There should be four realms for the War Island, Taselak in Taselak, Ikalak in Ikalak, Sandalak in Sandalak and Toren in Toren Stronghold.

Though I'm trying to understand the titles, how on earth is "Eagle's Claw" in anyway a rulers title? What does it even mean?

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: May 17, 2014, 02:29:46 PM »
In the end, it is a war island, and RP is secondary here.

I entirely agree with Atanamir on that. Tim's ideas are great and I actually love them - I don't really care about how the realms are defined, I'll adapt. But the main focus, at least for me, is war in War Island. The most important aspect would be to have a strongly unified realm with little intrigue, meaning there is no chance of "cliques" disrupting the functioning of the realm, allowing everyone to focus on battle. Too many players consider themselves to be schemers these days (or have multiple characters that they consider schemers), and for all the fun that brings, it breaks down the aspect of achieving something with your realm as a team - unified.

I suppose Sandalak would offer the biggest chance to hold unity. A Theocracy is easier to unite (one faith) and has clear set goals (kill all heathens). The other realms have interesting aspects as well though, so I've not made my final decision yet. I may very well join a less populated realm just to balance out the odds on the island.

But whatever happens, I'm still very excited.  8)
Ardet nec consumitur.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: May 17, 2014, 03:38:20 PM »
Anaris, isn't that Taselak banner actually the old Ikalak banner?  Why wasn't the old Taselak banner used?

To be perfectly honest, because I couldn't remember for sure which banner Ikalak and Taselak had.  :-[

For whatever reason, I could remember Sandalak just fine, even though that's the only realm of the three I never actually played in...
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: May 17, 2014, 06:31:31 PM »
Well, the group I have is headed to Ikalak. My idea is different, though yours isn't bad.

Kingdom of Ikalak

Realm type: Tyranny

Ruler: Imperator Maleficis/Imperatra Malefica, elect once
General: Regium Domitor/Regia Domitra, appoint
Judge: Gloriosa Carnificis/Gloriosa Carnifica, appoint
Banker: Magister Decusis/Magistra Decusa, apppoint

As you can see, it is a Latin and dark feel, while not exactly evil.

In general, I had a slightly Gothic feel, dark but not evil. They value strength in arms over anything else, while also valuing the arts and intelligence.

As for the banner, something not so bright, perhaps Silver on Black. (Don't know how to do that, so....)

In general, I try to discourage people from using titles like this. They're completely opaque, and anyone joining the realm will be very confused for some time. I guarantee you that if you use this title set, you'll get people playing in the realm for years who have no idea how to even spell the titles. (Also, if you want to be "dark but not evil," why is your Ruler "Evil Emperor/Empress"?)

However, there's nothing I can do to stop you, so if you really are set on it, I can change it to that. Assuming that your group is the largest group planning on going to Ikalak, of course :)

For banners, you can look at the existing ones, but I certainly don't have the skill to create much of a banner. I know that there at least have been in the past several players who do that sort of thing, though. Ask around, and I'm sure you'll find someone willing and able.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

SaDiablo

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: May 17, 2014, 06:32:22 PM »
I remember Toren but I also remember Toren typically dying first.

Secondly I am glad not to see a tyranny and why can't you have rp on the war islands?  I don't see how it would devalue the war islands

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: May 17, 2014, 06:37:57 PM »
Secondly I am glad not to see a tyranny and why can't you have rp on the war islands?  I don't see how it would devalue the war islands

I remember there being plenty of RP on the original War Islands.
Timothy Collett

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: May 17, 2014, 08:00:16 PM »
I remember Toren but I also remember Toren typically dying first.

It's not that you can' that've RP, you certainly can, but I agree with others about it being secondary. The war islands are about war not roleplay. Role playing is great, just not the focus on this island.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

warwolf13

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: May 17, 2014, 08:18:04 PM »
In general, I try to discourage people from using titles like this. They're completely opaque, and anyone joining the realm will be very confused for some time. I guarantee you that if you use this title set, you'll get people playing in the realm for years who have no idea how to even spell the titles. (Also, if you want to be "dark but not evil," why is your Ruler "Evil Emperor/Empress"?)

However, there's nothing I can do to stop you, so if you really are set on it, I can change it to that. Assuming that your group is the largest group planning on going to Ikalak, of course :)

For banners, you can look at the existing ones, but I certainly don't have the skill to create much of a banner. I know that there at least have been in the past several players who do that sort of thing, though. Ask around, and I'm sure you'll find someone willing and able.

I don't know if we're the biggest, there are 8 of us, but that's not a small number for something that hasn't even started.

As for the Imperator Maleficis, it doesn't actually mean Evil Emperor, it means, literally, Generally Mischievous. Which is not evil, of course.
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.

SaDiablo

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: May 17, 2014, 08:36:52 PM »
It's not that you can' that've RP, you certainly can, but I agree with others about it being secondary. The war islands are about war not roleplay. Role playing is great, just not the focus on this island.

Ah but these aren't the same war islands,  characters can die!(great idea imo)   So if mine dies I want him to leave some kind of impact.  War Islands I think can provide some really good interaction since it will be straight forward war roleplay.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: May 17, 2014, 08:43:01 PM »
I don't know if we're the biggest, there are 8 of us, but that's not a small number for something that hasn't even started.

As for the Imperator Maleficis, it doesn't actually mean Evil Emperor, it means, literally, Generally Mischievous. Which is not evil, of course.

Mm, fair enough. (Though Google Translate gives "magic" for "maleficis", and some other Latin resources don't think it's a word at all. And I'm also not at all sure that your male and female titles are actually the masculine and feminine versions of the same thing.)

Also, if my Latin's not good enough to tell the difference between "maleficis" and "maleficus", I think it's a relatively safe bet that a significant percentage of the playerbase will just take one look at the title and think "evil emperor." And another significant percentage just won't know what they're looking at, because most Americans don't actually learn Latin. (My Latin is thin and quite rusty, but at least there's something there ;D )
Timothy Collett

Kalkandelen

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: May 18, 2014, 04:30:23 AM »
I totally agree on Taselak staying a monarchy, my char Kanuni was the last King before island was sunk and would love to have it same as old as I'm definitely going for Taselak.

Wolf thing I like, grey wolf the most.

Once more thanks on the initiative for bringing the war islands back.

Atanamir

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: May 18, 2014, 10:28:16 AM »
By the way, I wanted to start as well in Ikalak with Evi etc, but if this is going to be a tyranny, I will not join at all maybe.

I am against this procedure actually that already found majorities can determine a whole continent here.

Especially since some people are not on forums at all...but oh well, i can say I have 9 people then who will join Ikalak if and if. ;)

About the Theocracy, I find it useless to have a Theocracy on an Island where religions are not allowed. A Tyranny in Sandalak would be better therefore.
I may also say that the tyranny form was the one who won the WI most times. Why killing then something that has worked?

RP was of course always part of WI, but as something voluntary and which evolved naturally, not something determined from the start.

I may also concur here with Fleugs, giving so much weight to RP from the start will also encourage players who are schemers to bring their gameplay to WI.

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: May 18, 2014, 12:48:37 PM »
I was thinking about Ikalak because I played there. Now I'm thinking if I want to play with Alex or continue to be his antagonist.   ::)

For the White City!!! And I will miss the great campaigns against Toren Stronghold.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Atanamir

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: May 18, 2014, 04:04:35 PM »
I was thinking about Ikalak because I played there. Now I'm thinking if I want to play with Alex or continue to be his antagonist.   ::)

For the White City!!! And I will miss the great campaigns against Toren Stronghold.

You play actually on DWI with me... ;)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: May 18, 2014, 05:14:05 PM »
I am against this procedure actually that already found majorities can determine a whole continent here.

If you have a majority in a given realm during the startup phase, you can change its theming to whatever you want anyway.

About the Theocracy, I find it useless to have a Theocracy on an Island where religions are not allowed.

As I said quite clearly, religions are allowed. They will just have no power to influence the war directly through game mechanics.

I may also say that the tyranny form was the one who won the WI most times. Why killing then something that has worked?

I didn't realize that the point of setting the startup conditions was to choose the winner by making one realm a tyranny.

RP was of course always part of WI, but as something voluntary and which evolved naturally, not something determined from the start.

Again, all this will do is allow those who have some interesting ideas for RP to get them up a few days earlier than they would be able to otherwise.

If the people in the realms don't accept the themes, they won't survive. That's no different from the way it's always been.

I may also concur here with Fleugs, giving so much weight to RP from the start will also encourage players who are schemers to bring their gameplay to WI.

I don't really see how giving each realm a theme from the start has anything to do with attracting schemers.
Timothy Collett