Author Topic: Further War Island Information  (Read 18335 times)

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Further War Island Information
« Reply #15: May 30, 2014, 01:38:59 PM »
finally

But really, mortality? There were enough people dying on the old WI just because there's more benefit to being a hero.

And no monsters/undead is weird, as well as all the other "streamlining" changes. I don't see the purpose of solving problems that might not exist.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 01:41:58 PM by Kai »

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: May 30, 2014, 02:03:01 PM »
finally

But really, mortality? There were enough people dying on the old WI just because there's more benefit to being a hero.

And no monsters/undead is weird, as well as all the other "streamlining" changes. I don't see the purpose of solving problems that might not exist.

That's the point isn't it? You don't know if today is your last day, if the coming battle shall be the last one you see... Death lurking at every corner. And only those able to live with all that would be called conquerors. Regarding rogue forces, if you are fighting rogues day and night then when are you going to fight human enemies? South Island is what a true PvP island on BM is called.
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: May 30, 2014, 08:22:10 PM »
People die when they are killed. YOLO!

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: May 31, 2014, 01:44:48 AM »
I'm going to watch what I say this time around so I don't get constant Mod warnings for insults, negativity and having a bad attitude! YOLO!

That's a very good idea, Kai. Glad to see you've changed your attitude in your months away from the forums. It's very encouraging.

Eirikr

« Reply #19: May 31, 2014, 06:19:19 AM »
Although this is jumping off a negative comment, I'm genuinely interested in what I see as the positive side to it: Will the WI mortality be used as a litmus test for expanding mortality to other continents?

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: May 31, 2014, 07:44:34 AM »
Although this is jumping off a negative comment, I'm genuinely interested in what I see as the positive side to it: Will the WI mortality be used as a litmus test for expanding mortality to other continents?
It is very unlikely for mortality to be expanded to the other islands. The issue that people had with it in the 4th Invasion was that it was imposed on them thus with a no island no one can claim that but the problem would come back if it was imposed on other islands.

That's not to say its impossible as there have been ways for it not to be imposing yet still expanded to the other islands (seems contradictory, but isn't). I think I will throw a more informative post in June's Newsletter, so look for it there if you are interested.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: May 31, 2014, 04:16:19 PM »
I have no plans to expand mortality to any existing continents, for the reasons Penchant outlined.

If it gains a huge following among the player base, then I might change my mind, but at least for now, don't expect it.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Eirikr

« Reply #22: May 31, 2014, 04:26:48 PM »
Poor choice of words on my part; we've been over why it wouldn't happen (the way it is on SI, at least) a million times.

My actual question was more of a "Will we take a second look at good ways to implement it (perhaps voluntary or some other non-continent-wide method) if it's popular on SI?"

Even if it's not meant to test people's reactions to mortality for other islands, if the game gets big again and a new continent needs to release, this would be a good experiment for that as well. (I know, that's super far off if at all.)

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: May 31, 2014, 06:09:04 PM »
Why will there be a maximum size for the war island? I thought this game didn't really have problems with too many players.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: May 31, 2014, 06:12:53 PM »
Why will there be a maximum size for the war island? I thought this game didn't really have problems with too many players.

Do you really want each noble to have a weekly income of 10 gold? And absolutely no chance for any players who join after the initial rush to even think about ever getting a Lordship?

If demand continues to grow, I'm perfectly willing to open a second War Island (with the character restrictions set such that you can only have a character on one of them, so the second doesn't just get flooded with the same players as the first...).
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: May 31, 2014, 07:14:43 PM »
Whats the max character count and what is the number of characters atm?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: May 31, 2014, 08:22:23 PM »
Whats the max character count and what is the number of characters atm?

I don't plan on raising it above 300, and I think right now we're around 250.
Timothy Collett

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: May 31, 2014, 09:17:25 PM »
Hohoho

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: June 01, 2014, 12:28:40 AM »
Do you really want each noble to have a weekly income of 10 gold? And absolutely no chance for any players who join after the initial rush to even think about ever getting a Lordship?

I'd like to ask whether at least one other person thinks these are even minimally convincing or relevant.

Eirikr

« Reply #29: June 01, 2014, 01:14:25 AM »
I'd like to ask whether at least one other person thinks these are even minimally convincing or relevant.

The first is absolutely convincing and relevant. It's no fun to play with no gold, since gold essentially drives everything in BM.

The second... well, not as much. No room for advancement sucks, but some realms on other islands already keep the same people in power. New characters arriving later may not have any better a shot.

But it's good to know you like to sound bitter with a flimsy reason behind it.